If you had $1k, $2k, $3k etc available

This is likely the one, we’ll buy

That’s a great decision, beautiful.

Room treatments are not “fun” in terms of spinning dials etc, but certainly make an impressive difference.

1 Like

The original and poorly stated (by me) thread was if there were no financial, space and approval limitations, what would one buy for x-dollars?

Independent of space, finances and spousal compromise, it seems that power regenerators, seating and…perhaps other items would be wanted. So, it would take imagining that without constraints what would one (emotionally) value enough to purchase.

I think my earlier post covers the point, just get the musicians in to play. Forget the gear, let’s have the music Live. And pay them so well for it.

I would commission a canvas in oil of my favourite band or album cover in large size to admire while listening. Maybe sex pistols being ‘goofy’.

1 Like

Live band/groups/solos…decor…etc

I understand, and I poorly stated my original post: “It may be a turntable/arm/cartridge, power conditioner…something not currently in your system. Any thoughts or dreams?”

Which to me meant some device that is not currently owned, not an upgrade, but something that would be added to your system.

Then again, maybe most people would upgrade since they have their base completed.

Give Sonos connect/port (you probably have a spare amp) and a pair of Klipsch AW-650. Mine have been hanging in the same place for about 10 years. Sound great under deck at pool and fire pit beyond pool. Should come in at about your 1k price… cobwebs optional…spring cleaning time.

1 Like

SONOS really comes in handy in the garage, gym, library etc. And by the pool, one does not need more than mi-fi, at least we do not.

Another thought came to us: Audioquest Niagra 3000.

I have a pair of Klipsch La Scalas in the garage with old stereo equipment. I’m constantly surprised how great the AW-650/Sonos Connect/Carver amp can sound in such a big open space. Roon just makes it that much better!

SONOS seems widely criticized for not being hi-fi, but it has served a nice role in the market place. I have the new SONOS amp powering a pair of Elac Debut and subwoofer. Great fidelity? No, but it does enable a background music level in the home and in the office. When it is shut down, both places feel very empty. We use the SONOS beam for the kitchen TV.

1 Like

The last connect I bought off eBay was $65. 1/4 the price of Pi4 and hifiberry DAC. A very simple, foolproof device.

For the Kitchen/deck/garage/etc. more than adequate. I think most of the Sonos bashers are just repeating what they have read and not heard. By no means earth shattering, but more than adequate.

Hi-Fi snobbery is a funny thing. I think I had some of my best nights music with a few beers, mates and a beastie boys style ghetto blaster. I’m all grown up now obviously!

5 Likes

As you strive for a better system, never forget that very point. Perspective is everything…

1 Like

That’s a really pretty chair but a tad pricey :flushed:

Hard to imagine that people can form a self-concept on things that they buy. (referring to concept of “hi-fi snobbery”). If you like hi-fi and are a musician, I can understand but merely by writing a check…

SONOS is great for us. SONOS plays 24/7 except for a couple hours per day when the stereo is on. At the office, SONOS plays 24/365 in three areas. Patients love it and comment/question from where the music comes.

In either case, some love SONOS…and I gather others do not. (I rarely play music in the car(s)).

I’ve had a couple of Sonos ZP90 Connects since 2011. Had one modded to connect to my DAC i2s via HDMI.

Still have one in service for a bedroom system. Really solid device. I use it with an ARCAM Sonlink DAC. Where Sonos came up short was the limit of 16/48 playback. I always thought the software was easy to use. I had Deezer Elite through Sonos for a couple of years. They just didn’t adjust quickly enough to the computer music improvements.

I like sonos, had mine since 2009. ZP in the kitchen and a One in the bedroom. They were the first brand to get a system that just worked without faffing about.

1 Like

Actually thinking about it I have a spare Sonos I will swap out the dap and put the zp in the garage. Can synch with the kitchen then and really entertain the neighbours :loudspeaker::loudspeaker:

1 Like

What brand is this chair? It looks great!