Import failed due to special characters

Hi,

I find that my files that have question mark “?” on the filename all failed to be imported.
I also remember that one of the issue we had on the forum with importing is because they have “/” on the filename.

These characters are not mentioned in the user guide. (https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Some_of_my_files_aren’t_showing_up_in_Roon)

Could you please add these into the FAQ and if there are other known special characters that makes the import fails.

Thank you,
Bastian

I copy pasta’d a quick list from somewhere on basic filename usage, i.e.dont use them:

Windows:

< (less than)
'> '(greater than)
: (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
" (double quote)
/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)
| (vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)

• (asterisk)
1 Like

this is good advice in general… different filesystems, different operating systems, different sharing mechanisms, and different software will all fail if you use any of these characters. if you can avoid spaces, backticks ( ` ), dollar signs ( $ ), and tilde ( ~ ), that’s a good idea too.

1 Like

Wot? No spaces? That’s taking things a bit far, isn’t it? Almost without exception all my folder and track names use spaces. That’s for albums that I’ve ripped myself, and for music purchased from download sites…

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for updating the FAQ page. Hopefully it will help others too.

For My Case:
Core: MacMini Late 2012
Storage: Synology NAS JBOD mode connected via Ethernet

The ones that failed all have either of these:
Question Mark (?),
Asterisk (*), or
Colon (:slight_smile:

It might be different for other OS’s

I have replaced all occurrences of the three above with (-) and my diff is clean now.

LOL, ya, sometimes when I write out stuff I “_” it all instead of spaces.

A post was split to a new topic: Music of Spanish origin (special characters)