Import iTunes into Roon Nucleus

Hi,

I am unable to sync my iTunes from my Mac into the desktop Roon app. There is a section under settings–>storage–>add folder where I can check a box that says “Import iTunes Playlists”.

But then I have to click “add” or “cancel”. The latter does not save the changes. The former cannot be selected. I presume I need to add a folder to scan but I’m having issues getting this to work too.

I’ve scoured the internet and nothing is helpful. Can you please have someone schedule a time to walk me through this over the phone?

Thank you,
Sean

[Moderator edit: personal details removed]

I think playlists are only imported along with the tracks. Basically one time. Then you update the playlists within Roon thereafter.

I had the same idea to use iTunes to create/update playlists then import them whenever. But I was disavowed of that notion. Nice idea, though. ITunes has a great playlist generator.

Hi @Sean_Scott ---- Thank you for the post and sharing your feedback with us. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, our knowledge base has very good documentation on how our iTunes integration works and the best methods/practices for using iTunes with Roon. I have listed a few articles for you below. Can you please give them a read and let me know what you have tried already in relationship to our instructions?

Additionally, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with a brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as guide.

-Eric

Roon Knowledge Base: “iTunes”

Roon Knowledge Base: “Importing Playlists”

Eric, I reread the iTunes and Playlists KB, and it’s silent on Sean_Scott’s inference that iTunes playlists are routinely updated after the initial import.

His is a reasonable assumption (I assumed the same), and the KB is silent on the point.

Can you confirm that playlists are only imported once? Or have I mis-remembered (increasingly common)?

If the iTunes XML is updated, the playlists in Roon should update as well.

The question for @Sean_Scott is how you are attempting to import your iTunes library into Roon? Can you tell us some more about where your iTunes media is stored, and how you’ve set up your storage settings in Roon?

Hi, thanks for replying and sorry for my late reply. Busy week at work.

I’ve read through your documents which are similar to instructions found on line. I’m still having the same issues. See my response below. I’ve added some screenshots of what I’m seeing. Not sure if they will come through but if not perhaps we can all start an email thread so I can share them. my email: [personal information removed by support]

Thanks!

My response:

I can confirm that Share iTunes Library XML with other applications is checked

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.31.48 AM.png

and (b) the iTunes Library.xml is located in the desired folder at C:\Users\sscott025\Music\itunes

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.30.18 AM.png

The problem is that Roon does not show my folder when I go to Settings—>Storage—>Storage Folder. Moreover, my screens look similar but a bit different from your screen shots. When I click Import iTunes Playlist i am unable to save to “yes”. It seems to require that I “add" a Folder which I’m having issues doing rather than “save”.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.26.01 AM.png

I then try to add the folder via Add Network Share. I input the folder path where my iTunes xml is located and get an error message (below). This isn’t in your instructions and i have no idea if this is necessary or performed correctly.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.33.38 AM.png

Hi @Sean_Scott ----- Thank you for the follow up, very appreciated!

Continuing forward, it looks like the screenshots never came through in your previous and I would like to see exactly what you are seeing when you are trying to import your iTunes library into Roon so I can properly advise. Would you mind re-supplying in your follow up? Thanks!

-Eric

Hopefully this works. If not, let me know. Thanks!

Hi @Sean_Scott ---- Thank you for resupplying the screenshots, I have a much better sense as to what is going on here now.

Based on the above my theory has been confirmed that you are going to need to setup a network share in order to watch the iTunes library located on your iMac. Here is what I would like you to do:

• First, please confirm that the “music” folder has “read” permissions set for “everyone”, as you can see in my example below:

07%20AM

• Once the above has been confirmed, go back to the “add network share” window and enter the following:

• Network share location = smb://IP address of the iMac/Music
    • Username = Your username assigned to the iMac
    • Password = The password you have assigned to the iMac the coincides with the username.
  • Click “add network share” and should be able to select your iTunes folder.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I can confirm the folder has rights read permissions for every folder. See below

I’m inputting the details (hopefully correctly – see below) and it’s now at least trying to add the folder. After much thinking though it gives an error message. Anything off in what I’m doing? I’m using my mac login name and pw.

Hi @Sean_Scott ---- Thank you for the follow up, very appreciated!

Sounds like you are using the correct username/password, however the “network share location” field is incorrect. You want to use the “IP address” of the computer in that field

From my previous:

Network share location = smb://IP address of the iMac/Music”

So for example, I would expect the path to look something like this:

Network share location = smb://192.168.1.20/Music

-Eric

Eric, it works now! Thanks for much for your help! Couldn’t have done it without you!

Sean

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.