Import stuck after importing of 8940 albums

@support

Dear all,

I’m a new user using Roon. I have a Mac-Mini latest version as well MAC OS latest available version. My albums are stored on a 10 Tera-Byte Hard Drive connected via Thunderbold. My import stuck by 8940 albums. I have a bit more :-). I repeated the import several times, but it doesn’t work. I tried as well to read the log but I have no clue how to read the content. As of today I have a well maintained iTunes Library. What I have seen so far from roon is convincing me. Please help me to get my Albums completely loaded.

I tried also to use the xml created by iTunes but it doesn’t work at all. What do I overlook here? How I’m able to identify damaged files if there are causing the issue.
Many thanks.
Best regards
Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Let’s see if we can narrow down to which files are causing issues here. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is automatically upload a set of log files from your machine to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce the issue with the import getting stuck and note the exact local time in your country (ex. 2:58PM) that the stuck behavior occurs at so that we can cross reference the logs at that time and see what errors Roon is displaying. Please let me know this information when possible and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Dear Noris, thanks a lot! I will do a rerun tonight.
I have another question, too. I reduced the number of Albums to my 20 favourites and imported them from the scratch. In 2 cases the album artwork is not shown in roon, but the albums are very well maintained. I checked every and each single file and all tracks have a correct cover. What could be the root cause for this behaiviour? Many thanks.
Best regards
Fred

Update: I did the import again. It stuck again at 8942 Albums. We have here in Germany now 8:55 P.M. Many thanks again for your support.

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp that the issue occurs at. Our systems have not received any diagnostic information from you machine yet, can you please confirm that the machine running Roon is powered on, the application is active and is connected to the internet? There is a way of manually sending us logs as well if diagnostics fails to retrieve, please just let me know once you have it on and running and I can confirm if/when diagnostics reach us.

As for your second question, can you please provide the name and artist of the albums that are failing to display the artwork? It is possible that our artwork providers do not have that specific album’s artwork in their database and we can check the status. I look forward to your reply when you have a chance.

Thanks,
Noris

P.S. We don’t get notified when a user edits their posts so if you have new information to share (such as the timestamp) please post it as a new message so our staff can see it. Thanks :slight_smile:

Ok, many thanks for the hint. I’m not so familiar with news groups/chats. My MAC is again up and running as well Roon. Regarding the Album artwork I have Roon configured to take my own Artwork stored in the MP3 Files. In those case it is an own compiled album with my own Artwork. I see no reason why the artwork should not shown in Roon because all the other 18 Albums are fine, assembled in the same way.

Firstly,iIt would be great to get this problem with the import solved that I can proceed :slight_smile:

Is it the only way to contact you? Are you reachable via telephone? Where are you physically located? What is the best time to be in contact with you?

Best regards
Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

I can confirm that our diagnostics system has successfully communicated with your machine but it is not clear yet on why importing is stuck. I have a few questions that can help narrow down this issue:

• Can I please ask you to elaborate in exactly what way import is getting stuck for you? Are albums simply missing or does Roon say that it’s unable to finish importing?
  • Can you please let me know the number of tracks in your current library? You can find this information by navigating in the sidebar to the overview tab.
  • Have you attempted to restart Roon and still see the same behavior?
  • Can you please press the spinner on the top right-hand of Roon and post a screenshot of what the import monitor is reporting? The spinner should look like this:

As for your contact question, yes, this is the only place to get in touch with Roon support. I’ll be your main point of contact for this issue, but anyone on our Support team can help you out when I’m not around. Most of our Support team is in the US, but we have staff all around the world, and many of us (from across the company) work at all sorts of hours, which is one of the reasons this community site works so well for resolving pretty much everything other than billing questions.

Please let me know when you are able to respond to the above questions and we can continue troubleshooting from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Good afternoon Noris,
please find below my answers:

Can I please ask you to elaborate in exactly what way import is getting stuck for you? Are albums simply missing or does Roon say that it’s unable to finish importing?

The spinner is always running. The number of Albums is not increasing. Roon is not providing any information that it’s unable to import.

Can you please let me know the number of tracks in your current library? You can find this information by navigating in the sidebar to the overview tab.

The current number of titles is 224710. If I force Roon to run a rescan via preferences Roon is reporting the correct number of titles to be imported when it’s starts to count the titles to be imported.

Have you attempted to restart Roon and still see the same behavior?

Yes, several times but it doesn’t change the situation.

Can you please press the spinner on the top right-hand of Roon and post a screenshot of what the import monitor is reporting? The spinner should look like this

How do I insert a screenshot? Anyway you hint was not bad because this window is showing from 360365 titles, 0 added, 0 identified. I have more titles overall and this number does not match with the number of titles imported as reported above.

I hope it helps.

Best regards

Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

Thanks for letting me know the state of the failure. To insert a screenshot you would need to click the upload button when leaving the comment on this support thread (link in case you are using email to communicate: Import stuck after importing of 8940 albums). Screenshot of what the upload button looks like:
Upload%20Button

I have been reviewing the diagnostics from your machine and it seems that importing is getting stuck at the following files:

08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-01 When It All Falls Down.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-02 Roll of the Dice.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-04 Circle Back Home.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-03 Make It Tonight.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-05 Where You Goin' Now.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-06 Deep In Your Hart.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-07 We Ride Tonight.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-08 Losin' Control.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-09 Loneliness.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-10 The Whisperers.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-11 Walking In My Sleep.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-12 Always Knockin' On The Wrong Door.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-13 I'm Gonna Crawl.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-14 I Believe.mp3
08/30 19:15:14 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-15 Never Been In Love.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-16 Tower Of Strength.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-17 Mother Love.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-18 Don't Lose Your Head.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-19 Danger In The Dark.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/1-20 Where Does It Go.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-01 Silver Rain.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-02 Round Again.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-03 OurTime.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-04 Ready to Rock.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-05 Don't Worry 'Bout Love.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-06 Carpe Diem.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-07 Stop Me From Lovin' You.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-08 Night After Night.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-09 The Scarecrow.mp3
08/30 19:15:15 Debug: [storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/2-10 Deal For Life.mp3

Can you please try moving those files from your watched folder and then let me know if import is completing afterwards? If import succeeds after removing them, would you be willing to send us those files so that we can take a look at why they would be causing issues? I can PM you instructions on how to upload files for analysis after you confirm that they are indeed the one’s causing the issues in this case.

Thanks,
Noris

Dear Noris,
this would mean I have to remove almost 4,6 TB. I’m not sure if I have understood you really well. Is it not possible to identify the root cause analyzing the log file? I have detected that the import is proceeding if I insert new albums on the same folder in the meanwhile. Where I’m able to identify exactly the files to be removed?
Best regards
Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

The 26 files that I believe are the cause of the issues are under
/Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/Rest in Peace/

I have listed them above, you can see them if you expand the slider by moving it to the right.
Please let me know if import seems to be working after removing those files, and if it does, please do not completely delete them and let me know so that we can submit them for analysis with our QA team.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok, thanks! I deleted the album and I have started the import from the scratch again. I will let you know tomorrow the result. Anyway many thanks for your support. BTW do you know a good FLAC Decoder for MAC OS to convert my CDs again? I plan to start to re import all my CDs using ROON as player afterwards.
Many thanks and best regards from Munich.

Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

We usually recommend using dbPowerAmp when ripping CDs and converting audio. Please let me know tomorrow if the import succeeds!

Thanks,
Noris

Ok, we made progress :slight_smile:

Now it Stuck again. My MAC is running.

Many thanks.
Best regards

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

Glad to hear that some progress has been made!

It seems that Roon is now failing to extract the files in the following folder:
/Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Compilations/TSR - Vinyl Single Raritäten/

Can you please try removing those files from your watched location and letting me know how the import goes after doing so? As before I please ask you to not delete these files, but just simply move them out of our watched location so that at the end of this process we can submit them to QA to see why it causes such problems in Roon.

Thanks,
Noris

I removed the folder also. Now, ROON is again importing files. I decided not start from the scratch and up to now it is running. Am I able to recognize those albums by myself reading the log because I don’t want to bother you always until the import has been done completely. The hint with the ripping software was perfect. It’s already up and running. I bought as well Perfecttunes and I checked the previous album “Rest in Peace” and in fact it contains 1 damaged file according to their analysis. Nevertheless, ITunes is playing this song without any problem.

I found also the reason why some Album artwork is not shown. In all the cases so far detected the resolution was to high (above 2 Tsd. pixel).
Best regards
Fred

Ok, now it stuck again, but we made big step forward. May I ask out to have again a look.
Best regards
Fred

Hello @Fred_Schuchhardt,

Glad that you were able to resolve the artwork issue and get import working again. It seems that the last files that Roon is failing to extract now are from this folder:
[storage/directory] extracting /Volumes/My Multimedia (10TB)/My ITunes/Music/Jacques Offenbach/Hoffmanns Erzaehlungen/

The way that I am identifying these files is by opening the most recent RoonServer logs (most recent is RoonServer.log then RoonServer_01.log then RoonServer_02.log, ect.) and searching for the keywords “[storage/directory] extracting”, usually the last extracting mentions in the most recent RoonServer log that say those keywords are the ones causing the issues. We typically use Notepad++ to open a few of the log files at the same time for easy search capabilities. You can find the folder in which the Roon Logs are saved using these instructions. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Many thanks! Import is continuing. I keep you posted. Which is the best configuration to play audio?

Thanks,
Fred

Hi Noris, import is completed :slight_smile: Nevertheless I have a slight deviation regarding the overall number of albums between iTunes and Roon where I’m currently scrutinizing the issue. iTunes still counts more then Roon.

Another point. Do you have an idea why the xml from iTunes is not used? It would be great to get my playlist as well imported? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Fred

I would recommend compare number of tracks. Is it the same ?

Read this article and let us know if you have any other questions - https://kb.roonlabs.com/Importing_playlists#iTunes_Playlists

Regards,
Vova