Important information for Extension Manager users ❗

It is getting close to 4 years that I released the first version of the Extension Manager. Today I want to share my plans with you on how to move forward from here. As the full story got a little long for a forum post I ask you to read the Wiki page I created about “The Road to Version 1.0”.

Back in June 2017 I released the first version of the Roon Extension Manager, at that time all that could be installed with it was my Alarm Clock extension. Shortly after, extensions from other developers were added to the repository and over the years it continued to grow to the point it is now. I think the time is right to reflect a bit and share my ideas on how I would like to move forward from here.

Please provide your feedback in this thread, I hope that the new approach will turn out to be useful for all of you.

Information about the Version 1.0 Beta will be provided later in a separate thread.

3 Likes

All for it Jan. You have provied an amazing service for nothing. We cant grumble if you change to make it more streamlined and easier to maintain. If people do then they just need to grow up a bit. This is your time that your giving to the community for nothing and everyone needs to support you in this venture. You cant be everything to everyone. Hope the other extension creators follow up and make their extensions available via docker. I only run two and both ae dockers as is my install of extension manager, look forward to v1.0

1 Like

So I have two devices dependent on extensions. One is already in a Docker. How does this affect something like the Ropieee extension in ROCK? Forgive my ignorance but I just need to know if my present setup will be affected and how.

2 Likes

Ropieee’s extension has nothing to do with extension manager, so you can relax!

RoPieee extensions are distributed as part of the OS and are therefore not affected.

I also want to note that nothing will be actively taken down, but if you use the Extension Manager and want to keep on receiving the latest extension updates then an upgrade to version 1.0 will be necessary at some point.

Forgive my ignorance, but which extensions are distributed by Ropieee?

A picture says more than a thousand words…

… and it’s just one extension in the screenshot, but running on two RPi-bridges.

ah thanks; I had asked whether Ropieee would host external party extensions, and I thought that might have happened.

This whole 1.0 plan sounds absolutely and incredibly… sane :grin:

I’m all for it. I really like how easy it was to tinker with the npm distributed extensions but the chances of dependency clash really hinders the fire and forget ease I expect in the overall Roon experience. And, nothing in your plan prevents an independent npm/git process. I’m fully onboard with npm/git for things I want to tinker with. The baked stuff makes excellent sense that it should be rolled-up into docker image.

I run my extensions on a Raspberry Pi 4 in my office. It runs diet-pi and lives in an Argon Neo case. It does double-duty as the bridge and extension source. This is a cheap solution and runs extensions flawlessly (and fast). The diet-pi menus make this set-up easy. Anyone worried about migrating from Windows should look into this set-up as a solution (although the VM route is good to). I think the community has enough people who know how to run extensions on diet-pi we can help others get migrated.

I hope I have time this week to try 1.0. Looking forward to it. Nice work indeed.

1 Like

Thanks Jan.

Hi Jan
as far as i understand, the extension manager will not work anymore on a windows OS core? (unless with a linux virtual machine…)

Hi @Niccolo_Terzi,

If the Extension Manager, in its current state, works on your Windows system then you can keep using it, but it will no longer receive updates. In order to keep on receiving the latest extension updates an upgrade to version 1.0 will be necessary at some point.