In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

I’m not in the US so haven’t seen this ad. Whilst I wouldn’t get myself excessively worked up by it, I do think it is disappointing that Roon is pushing out adverts to paid subscribers without an opt out. I appreciate their terms and conditions permit this, but agree with others that it is an unwelcome development. Hopefully it is one that they might rethink.

3 Likes

Yea please stop this. Send me an email if you want to advertise to me, that is fine. When I launch Roon I am going to my zen place. Your application is a huge part of my enjoyment of said zen place, please don’t ruin it.

Agree 100%

I haven’t seen that yet on Roon. I have a mail app on my iPad that brings up an upgrade path for a perpetual license model on an app I paid for outright. I’ve stopped using it altogether, it’s damn annoying dismissing their stupid message everytime you want to read your mail, it covered the whole screen.

I’m hoping that someone eventually starts a class action for this behaviour. Google, Facebook etc all get paid for advertising, if someone wants to use an app that’s been paid for then the recipient of the ad should be paid.

Class action for what exactly? Is it a free mail app (with an upgrade path) or one offered through your internet provider.

2 Likes

This thread is now definitely good for a laugh.
It’s certainly interesting…

12 Likes

I’m in the camp that it should not be there…but some perspective would be nice. There are people not knowing where there next meal is coming from or living on the streets…and they are not the worst off by a long shot.

It’s a tiny bit inappropriate, IMO, but not the fall of civilization.

Putting your peanut butter and jelly on the same slice of bread (not one its own) or TP exiting from the bottom not the top is way worse than Roon asking if you want a s#!tty, small HDD for a few buck off. Let’s try not to be more outraged than the next gal/guy just for the sake of being outraged.

4 Likes

No, it wasn’t free to begin with and I may have upgraded if it weren’t for the change to the subscription model. I bought the app originally, the ads came in later. They’re very intrusive because you can’t read your email until you have got rid of the nag screen. The little dismissal spot is also very difficult to hit easily on the iPhone with its smaller screen.

[Moderated]

1 Like

I haven’t seen the ad, may not be running in Australia.

I don’t like the idea of ad placement in the product. The Forum is one thing, I expect to be clicking through messages and threads. The Roon product is a completely different thing, I use it to play music.

7 Likes

The price of your newspaper is vastly lower than it would be sans ads. Newspapers and TV content are offered to you because the large part of their cost is paid by advertising.
Your Roon subscription is not something that was offered as needing its costs supported by advertising; it was sold as "here’s a music management system for a lot more money than a computer’ [I bought in in the early days]
So, no ads.
Or, tiered subscriptions. But those already subscribed should be grandfathered in, unless they wish to reduce their monthly fee by accepting ads.

2 Likes

wow- there’s some serious angst in this thread, inevitable I suppose, pop up ads rival clickbait titles for animosity these days, such is the world we live in. Actually providing I am not being spammed I dont mind the occasional promotion from Roon, if it helps Roon succeed against the competition then it is good for for us all.
If I may…
Any promotional ads - include a checkbox option for “Dont show me promotions in future”, also with an option in settings to “Dont show promotions”. Everyone’s happy(ish).

1 Like

Unacceptable!

I clicked the x and closed the box and didn’t give it a second thought ‘till I saw this mess of a thread.

I think Roon does something like this every so often so the Roon Community has something to whine about

2 Likes

I believe this was for the first time, the whine is just preventive hoping it will not happen again :slight_smile:

1 Like

The irony of how much time and energy people upset by the ad have spent on this thread – vs clicking the one “dismiss” button to make the ad go away – is not lost on me
:upside_down_face:

8 Likes

With you on this, Graeme. Zero to outrage in 1 second. Where’s the tone modulation and sense of perspective? Save the anger energy for things that really matter. Then again, it seems that that may be the only energy some folks have.

1 Like

What I find exciting about the advertising is that Roon appears to be completely detached from the user’s location when displaying the pop-up. I live in Germany, for example, and even though I find the offer interesting in terms of price when converted to Euro, I could never order it at this exchange rate. Not all Roon users are located in the U.S., dear Roon team.

Couldn‘t agree more. They can throw it in their newsletters (which I can opt out if I didn’t like it) but not in the App.

Regards,
Christian

Let’s have an option for paid subscribers to switch off marketing and sales messages globally, then everybody only has to take one action to stop the unwanted sales campaigns, or continue to receive them as each sees fit.

Good to see that after a year of routine everyday outrage about the horrors of [Moderated] a pandemic, people can now mostly calm down and enjoy life while some are happy to find more trivial reasons to froth up anger, like a popup ad.

1 Like