Incompatible versions - Core is earlyaccess, remotes not, suddenly can’t connect anymore. Roon not accessible

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini 2018 Mac OS Ventura

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Optimum router, EERO Mesh

Connected Audio Devices

Bricasti M3

Number of Tracks in Library

Almost 25,000

Description of Issue

Started today. See screenshot below. This is in both iPad and iPhone.
Tried the following-
Updated remote
Updated roon core
Reinstalled roon on mac mini
Restarted mac mini

No bueno.

1 Like

New updates just released. Check again and you should have 1159 available to install on core and remotes.

You need to get both devices running Early Access builds or both running Production builds. Your choice. See here for how to do this:

Where is the changelog?

I don’t know what Roon’s intentions are, but I would guess Early Access will rely on Test Flight for Roon Remote updates to IOS and Android devices. However, it’s actually a simple process to switch back and forth on your Remote. Use Test Flight for the Early Access version and your app store for the regular “production” version.

Early Access release - posted here:

2 Likes

Fixed mine. After several attempts to reinstall, disabled auto update, installed latest core, reinstalled remote.
Both running 1148 production. All is well. Lost about 30mins dicking around with it

1 Like

What were the order of the steps you used? I have the exact incompatibility versions that you had.

Agreed and they used to be the same version. In fact, Roon would increment version even if there wasn’t a change to keep them the same (which is silly in my opinion). So, now, they need to be lockstep but they don’t need to be all the same version. This is why, if you look at the release notes for general you get a nice matrix of what versions you need to be on.

Early Access is a little bit different as Roon can release somewhat out of order and “as needed” when they need the community to test. What caught people off-guard, including myself and I’m usually pretty good at this stuff, is that this particular version of Core required a version of Remote which only existed on early access branch. All remotes had to be upgrading from the early access branch to continue to function. That required touching every remote to do something to it so it grabbed the “lockstep” version. These instructions live in the KB in the middle of the page which explains early access. It’s not a difficult process people just 1) need to know about it 2) follow the directions. :slight_smile:

Going forward… because I’ve transitioned, this won’t come up again. I go listen to more music now.

2 Likes

@vova if I’m correct that was posted 3 hours ago and we were having to install 8 hours ago, morning UK time, shouldn’t these be advised pre release so people know what to test and where issues might be??

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

using nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

nucleus early access

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

message incompatible versions

Its definitely a hassle having to go looking for these updates. Especially when there isn’t any notification to say a release exists.

My IOS apps needed updating again in TestFlight and insisted my core needed updating, but my core was already showing the latest version.

Looks like Roon have some lessons to learn on communication and and releases.

3 Likes

@7NoteScale

Uninstalled on core. Installed new went into settings and stopped auto updates. Uninstalled app and downloaded it again. Worked.

1 Like

That should work to put you back on the previous version. If you want to stay on the latest early access version, just use Test Flight to update your phone and/or tablet Roon Remote.

Core: 2.0 (b 1159) earlyaccess (WIN10)
Remote: 2.0 (b1148) production (MacOs)
ARC: B81

I’ve been on production and earlyacces builds for a while, not sure how/why that happened but it has worked fine until today.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks!

I just updated? What does this screen now mean?

Thanks!

Just like me you volunteered for early access for Roon 2.0. The quickest and easiest solution, is to delete the early access version of the Roon Server app on your desktop (just the app, not the database or anything else) and re-install it from the website. This way, you will replace the early access version of the app with the production version of the app and all will reconnect and work again. Worked for me.

1 Like

Depends which way you want to go. Either put your Mac core on early access, or push your core back to production. Both paths are covered in detail in below article (Path differs by which way you go and which platform).

1 Like

@AceRimmer - thanks for getting me into the correct place!

Can someone kindly link me to the resolution, with simple instructions, on how to get either my core to production or my remote to earlyaccess. I’ve kind of lost patience with having to research and put in work to make Roon work, :joy:

Thanks so much!

Ah, this seems about my speed. Thanks @Grump

You’re welcome! Solution courtesy to @RBM :slight_smile:

1 Like