Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 - RoonServer restarts by itself since build 846

Hi @Timberwolf ,

Thanks for letting us know that you’ve been able to restore the backup and connect. Do you notice any further issues or is the Core working as expected?

Hi, @noris ,

Still issues: I’ve been listening for the past 2 hours, and the problems are still there. I’ve had two complete loss of connection incidents at around 1630 and again at 1750. On both occasions the connection dropped when I opened up the Roon app on my iPad in order to change track. So problems still there. Do you want me to send any logs? Any thoughts for next steps?

Hi, @noris @beka ,

Problems still the same after Core clear and restore - see my earlier post. What next? I have the logs from the latest connection losses at 1630 and 1750.

Cheers, Ian

Hi, @noris @beka ,

Any chance I can get some help with the continuing loss of connection I am experiencing - no response to my posts of yesterday. Clearing the Roon database and restoring from backup has not fixed the problem. What next?

Hi again @noris @beka ,

This is getting ridiculous now - four lost connections in less than 3 minutes - connections lasts only a few seconds before going again. Happened between 22:24 and 22:27 tonight - I have the logs. I’m done with Roon until this gets fixed. Some response would be appreciated!

Hi @Timberwolf ,

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Looking over the new log set, it appears that RoonServer is failing to start properly and is randomly crashing, without much additional error info. When I’ve seen crashes like these before, it was attributed to some sort of hardware issue like a bad SSD.

Have you by any chance reached out to Innuous support for their take on this? They can try to access the system-level logs on the Core to see if there are further clues.

You may want to temporarily host the Roon Core on the MacBook Pro until troubleshooting for the Innuous is complete. You can switch Cores by using these instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Do let us know if you’re able to get in touch with Innuous support and what they say, thanks!

Hi @noris ,

OK I will move the Core back to my MacBook for the weekend and see how that goes. I have been in contact with Joao at Innuos already and have fixed up a remote session with him for Monday at 1100 UK time. I will contact you after this.

Cheers, Ian

2 Likes

Hi @noris ,

The problems remain. I ran with the Core on my MacBook from Friday evening (19th) to Monday (22nd) and there were fewer long complete connection losses, there were frequent times when the Roon app on my iPad or MacBook would not interact with the Core - I could see and hear music was playing but I could not control it for a few seconds each time. On Monday I had a remote session for an hour with Innuos (Joao) and the Zenmini has a clean bill of health, no problems with the database or the SSD etc. I then transferred the Core back to the Innuos at 15:59 yesterday (22nd) and restored a clean backup of the Roon database from October before the problems started. I put on a long playlist directed to the Naim ND5 and also listened to an album on a second zone (Mojo). There was a connection loss today (23rd) at 00:19 listening to the Mojo at the end of the first track, Black Magic Woman and before Jumping at Shadows. Then at 00:24 the playlist on the ND5 stopped and had to be restarted. After I got up this morning, again at 08:44:46 connection was lost again while opening the Roon app on my MacBook and I had to restart the playlist. All the problems with the Core on the Innuos have occurred since build 846 for Unix was installed (and also since 850 build). I have the logs since the Core was reinstalled on the Innuos yesterday afternoon covering the above-mentioned connection losses and you have enabled diagnostic mode on the account, so what next?

Cheers, Ian

Hi @noris,

I give up - no response to the issues for 2 days and you have diagnostics on my account. I finally lost all connection between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook remotes and the Roon Core on the Innuos at 19:27 tonight. All attempts to restore the connection by rebooting Innuos and router and by removing and restoring the apps on the remote devices did not work. So I have temporarily moved the Core back to my MacBook, and Roon is working again for now. When I look at the log from around 19:27 it seemed that Roon remote app is getting into a twist trying to access the disabled MacBook core instead of the Innuos core. Please help get this fixed!

Ian

Hi @Timberwolf ,

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues. I don’t see a new diagnostics report from your Innuous reaching our servers, I’ve re-enabled diagnostics for the Core, can you please power it on when you have a chance and let us know? You don’t need to leave it on for too long, 15 minutes should be sufficient and hopefully, the new log set will be sent, thanks!

Hi @noris,

Sorry we had a big storm (Arwen) in NE Scotland and have been without power for the last 27 hours, so I have only just switched everything on again. You will be able to get the logs now. Just before the power cut I had a remote session with Nuno from Innuos and he reinstalled Roon on my Zenmini. I shall try it out over the next few days.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Timberwolf , do let us know if the Core is working as expected after the reinstall.

Hi @noris ,

I have now had 4 remote sessions with Innuos support (1 with Joao and 3 with Nuno himself) involving two re-install of RoonServer and have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the Zenmini hardware. The connection losses have been evident in all the sessions and is definitely a software issue of communication between the Roon Core and my remote apps. It does not matter which remote I use - iPhone, iPad or MacBook. The trigger for a connection loss can be any interaction with the remote app, changing the track or album or playlist or simply opening or closing the remote app. If I start a long playlist and do not interact with the remote, play often can continue right to the end of the playlist without a connection loss. It is now more than a month since the issue surfaced after the install of build 846 (and later 850) on the Innuos. I’d really like to have some help from Roon to get this sorted. I believe you have had tracking active on my account for some time now, so should have the required log information. I look forward to a response from you soon.

Regards, Ian

Hi @noris @beka ,

Can someone please respond to my last post - the issue is definitely with the Roon core builds since 846 and software communication between Roon remotes and core. Innuos hardware is not at fault. The issue has been there since build 846 was installed and continued with build 850. You have had diagnostics on the core for ages now, yet I get no response from Roon. Must I give up Roon now as a bad job, or will someone at Roon support please attempt to diagnose and fix the issue? I await your urgent reply.

Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Thanks for following up on your latest post. We appreciate you bringing this thread to the forefront.

We’re doing all we can to reply to everyone in a timely manner — some times, this is more difficult than others.

Thank you for the update on the Innuos team: it seems they think there is no hardware issue. Please, allow me to connect with our technical team to see if there’s anything relevant on our end.

To make sure we can get those logs, would you please have your Core running for at least 15 minutes?

Many thanks :pray:

Hi Rebeka,

The Core is running with a playlist for the next 12 hours, maybe.

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Thanks so much for that! We got the logs — they are with our technical team. I’ll follow up as soon as I can.

Hello @Timberwolf ,

Thanks for sending those logs over! Unfortunately, there are no clues as to why the error is happening, some logs just abruptly end without reason.

We have just released a new build of Roon, can you please try to update and see if it helps with your issues by any chance? If not, can you ask Innuous to provide a system log of your Core? Perhaps that will contain some clues.

Since we have confirmed that the issue doesn’t occur on the MacBook, but only the Innuous, there must be something related to the way the Innuous is set up (Network/Database/Hardware) that is causing the issue to be different than when on the Macbook.

Hi @noris ,

1. the issue does occur with the Roon Core on my MacBook Pro - see my post 23 days ago on Nov 23.
  2. I’ve installed Roon build 880 as requested early this morning and the problem persists - just had connection problems about 15 mins ago.
  3. I had 4 sessions with Nuno from Innuos and we verified a software problem, not hardware.
  4. What precisely should be requested from Nuno regarding a system log from the Innuos?
  5. Do you have the ability to enable a remote session as Nuno did to see the issue happening for yourself?

Please get back to me soon if you want me to do anything.

Cheers, Ian

Hi @noris ,

More details of the connection issue today:

I updated to Roon build 880 at 0906 today UK time and it installed without problems. I then left a playlist running until I returned home at 1308. I opened the Roon app on my MacBook Pro and it had issues finding the core but eventually connected after about a minute. A playlist is still running now at 1336. The logs show that when I kicked off the Roon app at 1308 there was a connection abort with the message:

12/16 13:08:26 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: Software caused connection abort.)

Cheers, Ian