Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 - RoonServer restarts by itself since build 846

Hi @noris @beka ,

No response to my issue for 29d now. Roon seems to be having a lot of connection drops for many people and I realise you have had major issues with your most recent build releases, but my issue is still not resolved after 2.5 months and I’m getting quite annoyed. Roon on Unix (on Innuos Zenmini mk3) just does not a have a stable connection since build 846, whereas it works fine with the Core on a MacBook. Extensive testing and investigation with Nuno at Innuos has established the Innuos hardware is fine and it works perfectly with the Innuos Sense app. Can someone please take up accountability for investigating the issue with the Roon software and contact me to get this resolved.

Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Apologies for missing on your replies until today :see_no_evil:

Thanks for bringing us up to speed. We’d really like to help with as much as we can, so we were wondering, could you please share with us the var-log (the system logs) for your Innuos? Once you have them, they can be uploaded in our drive.

Since your Innuos is not contacting our diagnostics center, could you please:

1. Reboot the Innuos
  2. Grab a set of logs and zip up the folder
  3. Upload it in our drive

You mentioned that:

Roon on Unix (on Innuos Zenmini mk3) just does not a have a stable connection since build 846, whereas it works fine with the Core on a MacBook

The question is the, is it running better on the Macbook?

Finally, as you probably know, based on our very popular Networking Best Practices Article, we do not recommend ISP routers, like the BT HomeHub 2:

Would you be able to try a different router?

Hi @beka @noris ,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have uploaded two zip files as requested - one is an Innuos system log covering the period 15 Nov last year till today and the other is the latest Roon logs from my Zenmini Core. I have a large number of earlier Roon logs covering the period from Nov 6 when I first reported the issue. Some key facts:

Connection problems only occur when I have the Roon Core on my Innuos Zenmini. I have had the Core on my MacBook for four weeks and have not had any connection problems.

Extensive investigations with remote access by Innuos (Nuno) on four occasions has shown conclusively that the music database and the Zenmini hardware are problem free. The issue is a therefore in software and only happened after installation of Roon build 846 for Unix - it has persisted through all subsequent builds to now.

I am happy that Roon performs perfectly on my network with the Core on my MacBook, as does all other music streaming whether from Qobuz or Naim or Innuos Sense or Apple. Roon does not perform when the Core is on the Innuos Zenmini. Innuos Sense is brilliant which again confirms that the Zenmini hardware is not at fault.

As a lifetime subscriber I would just like Roon not to constantly lose connection when the Core is on the Innuos, hence my desire to see this issue investigated and a fix found. I like Roon for its organisation of my classical music and its ease of use with multiple endpoints and if I have to revert to keeping the Core on my MacBook then I’ll have to do so, but I would prefer to have the problem sorted. There seem to be a lot of posts indicating connection problems including with Unix devices mostly in recent builds since 846.

I have this afternoon moved the Roon Core from my MacBook back to the Innuos Zenmini so you should be able to get any diagnostics you want. I will keep this configuration until you get back to me hopefully on Monday. However, if connection issues persist I will have to move it back to the MacBook.

Finally, regarding my network I reiterate that it is functioning perfectly in all respects including with Roon Core on the MacBook. The BT SmartHub 2 is one of the best routers available in the UK even if provided by an ISP and provides an excellent environment for my musical streaming.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Thanks for taking the time to write down all the details. I’ve passed this on to our technical team and we’ll get back in touch as soon as we can :pray:

Hi @Timberwolf ,

Thanks for sending those logs over. We have reviewed them and unfortunately, it is not clear why the issue is occurring. One thing that we can say for sure though is that RoonServer on the Innuous is restarting by itself, so it is unlikely to be related to the network.

We have looked for any common patterns in logs, and there don’t seem to be any. In some logs, there was an analysis issue with a file: url=/storage/music/Auto-211222-2344/Bach Cello Suites/2-13 Cello_Suite_6 1. Prelude_7.flac, but in the most recent log file, it looks like the analysis went through. You may want to try to remove this file in case it caused issues, but it is likely not the root cause.

For RoonServer_log.03, these are the entire contents of the log file, before RoonServer restarts itself:

01/15 15:09:41 Info: Starting RoonServer v1.8 (build 884) stable on linuxx64
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: Checking if we are already running
01/15 15:09:41 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsems0-roon
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: Nope, we are the only one running
01/15 15:09:41 Info: Is 64 bit? True
01/15 15:09:41 Info: Command Line Argument: -watchdogport=38205
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: [realtime] fetching time from NTP server
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: [realtime] Got time from NTP: 15/01/2022 15:09:40 (3851248180042ms)
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: [realtime] Updated clock skew to -00:00:01.3210628 (-1321.0628ms)
01/15 15:09:41 Trace: [orbit] init seq=8, pending=4, spcount=7, uidcount=2
End Of File

This RoonServer restart should have been noted in the system log or the central_log, but it appears to be missing from both.

Syslog:

Jan 15 14:17:01 zenmini CRON[17317]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jan 15 14:32:22 zenmini systemd[1]: myinnuos.service: Service RestartSec=6h expired, scheduling restart.
Jan 15 14:32:22 zenmini systemd[1]: myinnuos.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 160.
Jan 15 14:32:22 zenmini systemd[1]: Stopped My Innuos Registration.
Jan 15 14:32:22 zenmini systemd[1]: Started My Innuos Registration.
Jan 15 14:32:23 zenmini systemd[1]: myinnuos.service: Succeeded.
End Of File

Central_log:

2022-01-15 02:32:21,561 - INFO - [My Innuos Registration] waited 0 seconds for internet connection.
2022-01-15 08:32:22,365 - INFO - [My Innuos Registration] Starting My Innuos Registration service
2022-01-15 08:32:22,532 - INFO - [My Innuos Registration] waited 0 seconds for internet connection.
2022-01-15 14:32:23,109 - INFO - [My Innuos Registration] Starting My Innuos Registration service
2022-01-15 14:32:23,259 - INFO - [My Innuos Registration] waited 0 seconds for internet connection.
End Of File

Something very strange is going on with this Core, and it is not reporting the RoonServer restarts either, so there is no additional context in the system logs as to why the restart occurred.

The only other thing which may be helpful here is to check to see if other Linux Cores on this network behave in a similar way, but installing and setting up Linux would be a bit technical.

This topic was automatically closed after 13 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.