Install for Roon on Intel NUC + Win2012R2 Essentials - Using Audiophile Optimzer

My install to get Roon running on an Intel NUC using Win2012R2 Essentials + @AudioPhil 's Audio Optimizer for Windows 2012R2

I thought a detailed installation of Win2012R2 Essentials on an Intel NUC i5 (i7 would be the same) would help people considering using 2012 over Win7 or Win 8). Windows 10 was just announced to be released July 29th.

Intel NUC 54250 (or newer 5i5RYH) (Headless) - Intel i5 with 8GB Memory. Make sure to visit the Intel site to get the latest drivers for your NUC. After all the OS installs, you will use 22-25GB of disk space.

Win2012R2 – Go to Microsoft to obtain a 180day trial copy of either Standard or Essentials from MS. You can even re-arm your version for another 180 days after the first runs out. I download the ISO version and burn to a DVD. I also own a USB DVD Drive which is needed for the NUC’s.

First: Install the OS -> 2012R2 Essentials (Trial Version). After the basic OS install and it reboots to your desktop, the Win Essentials Wizard will appear CANCEL it !!! CANCEL it !!! CANCEL it !!! CANCEL it !!!

Load up Audio Optimizer: http://www.highend-audiopc.com/ and run the Service Tool. Choose choice “P” to Prepare Windows Essentials. This will help remove a lot of MS bloat.

Load the LAN Driver: NOTE: The NUC LAN drivers are not certified for Windows 2012r2. So a little .INF hacking is needed in order to install the LAN driver. Find your device ID in the properties of your LAN CARD in device manager.

The driver is a self-extracting RAR file, so when you first execute, look for the folder:

“C:/users/appdata/local” and look for sfxr0 folder. Copy the sfxr0 folder to another folder so you can edit the .INF files. NOTE: When you close/cancel the RAR install, this TEMPORARY folder will be removed – that is why we copy it.

Find the hardware ID in .INF file -> Mine was here: PRO1000-WINx64-NDIS64-e1d64x64

First Comment out three line in ControlFlags section:

[ControlFlags]
;ExcludeFromSelect = \
; PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A,\
; PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B

Next find the Hardware ID in one section and copy to other section:
15A3 was found in [Intel.NTamd64.6.3.1] make sure to copy to [Intel.NTamd64.6.3]
Here are the 3 lines that were copied to the lower section:
%E15A3NC.DeviceDesc% = E15A3.6.3.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A3
%E15A3NC.DeviceDesc% = E15A3.6.3.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A3&SUBSYS_00008086
%E15A3NC.DeviceDesc% = E15A3.6.3.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A3&SUBSYS_00011179

Now BEFORE trying to install, run the Service Tool Install Driver Helper, then install the LAN driver.

Below are the commands we had to issue before Phil made is easier with AO and Service Tool.

Before Installation:
bcdedit /set LOADOPTIONS DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON
set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win7RTM
*****REBOOT (manual)

After Installation
bcdedit /set LOADOPTIONS ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks OFF
*****REBOOT (manual)

In Device Manager you should now see your LAN Driver in the proper section.

Windows Updates: Do all your Windows Updates – About 130 of them (sigh….)

Experience Feature and Media Pack: Add Experience Feature - Add Media Pack (WSEMP.EXE – download from MS).

Update Video and other drivers: Video is the Intel 5000 or 6000 version depending on which NUC model you are using. The latest Intel drivers are REQUIRED in order for Roon to run properly (OpenGL)

Check Device Manager: Make sure you have nothing left as unidentified. Install needed drivers.

Install Roon: Decide if this PC will be a ROON REMOTE or a ROON CORE.

Run Audio Optimizer: Since Roon will only use my WASAPI driver, I ran Audio Optimizer so WASAPI and MMCSS services would be running/enabled. This way Roon can see my DAC Driver.

AO also takes care of a lot of extra processes and services and is recommended for use with Win2012R2 (Standard or Essentials). It really helps improve the sound, and also gives you a VERY easy way to change from GUI, to Minimal GUI, or CORE mode. NOTE: Wasapi is not available in CORE mode yet as Phil works that issue. So for now Roon will run in either GUI or Minimal GUI.

Start up Roon: Make sure Roon will start up. REMEMBER: If you are using MS RDP you will get an OpenGL error due to RDP. I have a little batch file to startup Roon without having to reboot your PC:

tscon.exe %SESSIONNAME% /v /dest:console
timeout 1
Start C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe

This will terminate your current RDP session, wait 1 second, then launch Roon. Wait 5-10 seconds before RDPing back into the PC and Roon should be running.

Configure Roon: Do all your Roon configurations once you know it sees your DAC or Audio Output. Remember when running AO to say “Y” to Wasapi/MMCSS.

If you use them: Configure Fidelizer and Process Lasso (I use both and recommend trying them out)

Clones: After everything is configured and running, make a CLONE (image) of your setup. If by chance something happens, you have this BASELINE clone you can just blow back in and you are up and running in under 30 min. I use CloneZilla for this task. I have a baseline image of my REMOTE and my CORE. I also have a Second CLONE image of the CORE “after” it has imported all my music and is stable in the way of album updates/scans.

My Roon Setup:

Roon Remote: Intel NUC 54250/8gb Mem) -> Audio Optimizer 1.31B11 - Fidelizer 6.7 – Process Lasso - Wadia Di122 DAC (DAC has Wasapi driver).

Roon Core: Intel NUC 5i5RYH (8gb mem) -> Audio Optimizer 1.31B11 - Fidelizer 6.7 – Process Lasso – no audio devices.

3 Likes

I’d be interested to know why you chose Windows Server.
Nothing against WS, I work in that group, it’s an awesome product. Just curious about the reasoning.

Microsoft recently announced Nanoserver, a minimalistic deployment configuration for Windows Server 2016. It is explicitly designed for headless systems, there isn’t even a GUI. 10X to 20X smaller, fewer patches, fewer reboots. It is obviously not designed for this purpose, but I’m sure some clever people will investigate, just like in this article.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2015/04/08/microsoft-announces-nano-server-for-modern-apps-and-cloud.aspx

1 Like

[quote=“AndersVinberg, post:2, topic:1560”]
I’d be interested to know why you chose Windows Server.[/quote]

1. Phil’s @AudioPhil Audio Optimizer for Win 2012R2
  2. I think 2012R2 (Standard or Essentials) sounds better to me in my rig compared to Win 7 or 8 in stock mode.

I even played around with a lot of optimizations for Win7 & 8, but Win 2012 + AO is the ticket. And once we get ASIO support, I can then run in CORE mode for Win 2012, and that is another improvement in sound quality.

So while the OS may cost more, the sound is better, especially with AO.

Phil @AudioPhil also works/partners with Fidelizer and just recently Process Lasso. Every bit we get our computers to have less running, the better the sound will be.

I also look at these boxes as “server” type and not a workstation where I will be doing many things. These boxes “serve” music either to another Roon instance, or to an Endpoint (DAC)

For Nano, @AudioPhil already did a post about it:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/index70.html#post427366

Can I just clarify?

Are you saying that the OS makes a difference to the sound quality? Not the hardware , or the specific software you may be using, but the OS itself?

I never said software makes a difference and NOT hardware - do not know how you came up with that from my post :smile: IMO all of it makes a difference.

But for JUST the OS running STOCK, for me and my rig, 2012 sounded the best.

Now what percentage a difference each makes is another story.

And for 2012 there is Audio Optimizer which does a lot more than just disable services.

I’ve been running pretty much this setup since the release. Works like a charm!!

Not sure by the way why you are doing the complicated thing with the lan driver for the nuc running server 2012.
It indeed does not install automagically, but you can go to the device manager, select the nic, update the driver manually and pick ‘Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-LM’.

I currently have jriver running on it with wdm driver so roon plays through jriver, accessing my DDDAC through asio. (and allowing some convolution)

Anyway, agree, nuc, win2012, audiophile optimizer and Roon is a great mix!

Apologies, I phrased that incorrectly. You did say in your rig.
But I’m intrigued what differences you found between the OSs you mention in point 2.

It has been quite a bit since I was running Win 8 for my Music Server, so hard to put specifics on it for you. I know “better” is a very generic answer but 2012 was better sounding to me when I tested and have not looked back.

For changes in my rig, if I have to really sit there and go back and forth “trying” to hear a difference, then it is not worth it. Win 8 to 2012 was not like that.

If you want to hear more about 2012 as a platform, stop over to www.computeraudiophile.com as there are “more of us” 2012 users there.

[quote=“rovinggecko, post:7, topic:1560”]
Not sure by the way why you are doing the complicated thing with the lan driver for the nuc running server 2012.[/quote]
Before AO, you had to run those commands to get software not designed for that OS to install. Now I just use Phil’s Driver Install Helper, and just install the .INF.

I always forget about the update driver option as I am already in the .INF making the changes

Now since Roon support ASIO, I have changed from my DAC Wasapi driver to JPlay (ASIO) driver. Sounds good and Roon does not care if JPlay is being used or not :wink:

Very nice, indeed!

Hi,
My setup currently consists of an i7 caps type PC and a 12 Tb server to hold my music.

I’d like to get an i7 NUC which would run ROON and serve as my core PC.

So my chain would be Lampi Big 7> CAPS Audio PC with Paul Pang USB card connected to the new NUC (ROON Core Control PC) via Ethernet then I need to connect my Server to the NUC.

Questions: I will need two Ethernet connections one to connect ROON /Control PC to the CAPS Audio PC and another Ethernet connecting the ROON control PC to the server. The NUC only has one Ethernet port any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

If I install ROON on the NUC will it be able to connect to the server PC and accomplish its magic from there connected by Ethernet?

I’m currently running Server 2012 on the Server and the CAPS machine connected by the jPlay streamer mode. I use AUdiophileOptimzer, Fidelizer, jPlay, jRiver (switching to ROON as soon as iOS app available). Not sure whether I’d install Windows 10 or Windows server 2012 on NUC.

Not sure why you would need two Ethernet connections unless you wanted to aggregate them; but that is not what it sounds like you are describing. I did find one here: http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/JBC311U93.html But does not in anyway have the horsepower you were looking for.

Anyway, If you want 2 Ethernet connections, don’t use a NUC. Build a PC system using a motherboard with 2 Ethernet ports. There really is no reason it needs to be super small as the server should live out of sight with the NAS and the switch. If you like small, mini-itx cases are small and can look very good.

[quote=“Sgr, post:13, topic:1560”]
I will need two Ethernet connections one to connect ROON /Control PC to the CAPS Audio PC and another Ethernet connecting the ROON control PC to the server. The NUC only has one Ethernet port any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
[/quote]Hi,
Would you not just connect them together using a LAN switch?

Hi all,
And thanks. The reason why I would like to use a NUC is its price I can buy one for $700.

The reason why I need to go two ethernet connections is that I want to use jPlay. The CAPS would be the audio PC. The nuc the control PC. The control PC has to connect to the LAN to acces files on nas. ROON would be installed on the Control PC as well. The contro Pc has to be connected to the Audio pc via Ethernet as well.
Thus the control PC has to have two Ethernet connections.

Could I use an USB 3 to Ethernet adapter for one of the needed Ethernet connection.s?

Any way to split one Ethernet connection with an adapter to make two different Ethernet ports?

[quote=“Sgr, post:16, topic:1560”]
The control PC has to be connected to the Audio pc via Ethernet as well.
[/quote]Yes but via the LAN not directly to each other … All these devices connect to the LAN not to each other.

You just need a LAN switch with enough ports for your device to plug into.

Phil from AO had indicated on Computer Audiophile that RoonServer works in Core mode with AO. I cannot get it to work. Has anyone had any luck? I can get it to work in GUI and Miminal Server mode, but NOT in Core. It works no different than the Roon Core app.

By the way, just to add, I am getting an error box, stating:

RoonAppliance.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The Procedure entry point MFInvokeCallback could not be located in the dynamci link library

C:\users\Administrator\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Application\10010070\roonmedia.DLL

Neither could I. For some reason there is functionally needed for roonserver which is stripped by going core mode in Win2012.