Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

It says, they are busy with the next Roon release.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

A post was merged into an existing topic: High resolution audio from Amazon

My guess is that some business deal is in progress, and before its finalized the employees have strict orders not to give any comments whatsoever. The question then becomes: what business deal? Might even be something more than Roon integration (Amazon is quite a big player after all).

Of course I would welcome Amazon Music integration with Roon. I agree no comment from Roon so far probably means they are in discussions.

2 Likes

Amazon can be used with Chromecast via an android device.

Maybe Amazon is in discussions with Roon pertaining to a possible buy-out?

Hd not supported on chromecast.

Roon - please respond to your customers. You at least owe us some type of high-level communication - even if it is “We are looking into it - more to come”. Your silence is deafening,.

Actually, they don’t. Companies are not obligated to broadcast what may be going on behind the scenes. As long as you are getting what you were promised when you bought in, anything more than that is gravy.

6 Likes

The silence is likely due to a NDA, otherwise I would think they would have made at least one comment since the Amazon announcement. If it is an NDA, then that’s probably good news.

Of course, I’m am an optimistic. :smile:

2 Likes

That is probably all covered by one or two embedded streaming software vendors, something like StreamUnlimited and ConversDigital. Most of those companies don’t really have software development of their own.

Other than that, I could become interested in Roon integration once such Amazon service becomes actually available. So far it’s like Qobuz, IOW not available here and thus not relevant. Tidal being the only relevant vendor so far.

Hmmm, we’ll I’ve read most of the multiple messages on this thread and other related threads on the forum and I conclude that overall, all is speculation from everyone. I am well happy to sit tight and wait for a response from roon themselves, and we know they only publish anything when they have something concrete to present to the/us masses.

‘Sit tight and wait and see’ as my mother used to say. After all, future development is constantly evolving or being created anyway. Nowt we can do about it. What we would like will always happen eventually, hopefully in roon. However, it might not be roon, so hold your horses and keep your powder dry is my clichéd response. Wait and see. roon will coment when they are ready and when they have something positive to tell us.

1 Like

I think they are heads down working on a major release and getting in to crunch time. Amazon may or may not have been on their radar, but they are too close to a release to throw any monkey wrenches into the works. Instead, they are likely trying to figure what baggage to throw out to safely make the landing runway.

1 Like

Usually no news is good news - but in this case I believe no news is , well nothing. I guess Roon has also been surprised by Amazon, Probably they will try to get in bed with them, since it would be a huge deal for Roon, but the biggest company on this planet could probably care less about the wishes of access from such a tiny player.
So my hopes are not that high.

1 Like

Agree
I struggle to see Amazon even engaging in a conversation with Roon. End of story. Happy if I’m wrong on that by the way
All speculation but that’s what we enjoy discussing and why we’re here

Also much as I appreciate Roon there are issues with slow interface response times, inherent complexity in terms of setup etc that the likes of Amazon would likely not accept as part of their valued be all and end all customer experience…

Roon on mobile not yet being to the fore also being a big issue. Surely customer base is way too niche and way too local… despite being at the forefront of audiophile circles

Interesting to see where all this goes - the lack of obvious route for many on here to stream clean bit perfect from Amazon to their expensive gear (myself included) is quite bizarre for this launch of Amazon ‘ultra hd’. They need to learn and improve the access options and overall flexibility otherwise the average consumer who might dabble in this will indeed fail to be amazed by the step up

I’ll wait to see what transpires.
Roon in a QNAP to a Chord Dac and KEFLS50’s do not seem to lend themselves to this service at all unless I were to bring in the Amazon chromecast alternative (no to that)

Also we’re carrying the presumption Roon would even want to target this integration

2 posts were split to a new topic: Amazon HD Ultra, to DAC via Chromecast Audio - Only seeing 16/44

I seriously doubt roon was surprised by this announcement. It was already announced back in April that it was coming. Amazon may have already been in talks with many third party vendors even before then.

Roon has already said they’d integrate with any steamers that provide the necessary data they need. Any lack of integration with others like Apple has been because the streamers either didn’t want roon or didn’t want to provide enough data.

Amazon seems willing to have this server on as many devices as possible. I’m assuming they’re ok with integrating with roon. The issue is wether they’re willing to provide enough data to make it work. We can see from their rollout they didn’t even update their own software to run hi-res correctly on computers or phones. Either manually changing sample rates or fixed rate. They may not be technically ready on their end to give roon what they need.

It is surprising that there have been no comments at all from roon. Think even with Qobuz they said they couldn’t discuss anything. Qobuz was easier to figure out because they let it slip they were integrating with roon before roon announced. I’m sure if they’re working with Amazon they made sure Amazon kept quite as well until it’s actually released.

Deafening? It’s been less than a week. Roon doesn’t “owe” any of us anything, either.

Whether you have an annual sub or a life-time sub, you’re paying for the product as it is in that moment. If you’re on a yearly rate and you find the product no longer suits your needs, by all means, stop paying, but, the company certainly doesn’t owe you a thing.

IF Amazon gains meaningful traction and Roon, for some reason, suffers because of a lack of a deal, at some undetermined point in the future, that would be on them, but, right now? It’s early days yet.

5 Likes