Integration of Sirius XM Music

Would it be possible for Roon to support Sirius XM Music?

I usually listen to my music library through Roon, but it would be really nice to have more options, I figured it doesn’t hurt to ask.

3 Likes

Hi Wayne. More options are great. And I’m sure Roon would love to integrate other services. However, the other guy has to want to integrate with Roon as well.

3 Likes

The above is a very clear and concise response that explains the difficulties the Roon team faces when trying to address some feature requests. Thanks!

1 Like

I believe Sirus XM streams at their usual low rez bitrate. Why would you want to stream that when there are so many better sounding options out there??

I want to listen to certain “talk shows” that are only there (Tales from the Golden Road and “Big Steve Hour”–both Grateful Dead related) and certain “public radio” shows that are only on SiriusXM. Also certain “live in studio” shows that are only on SiriusXM.

3 Likes

I agree. While not the highest resolution, it is the content that is desirable including talk shows and sporting events not available elsewhere. I would like for Roon to be the hub for all our listening. This is a real shortcoming and I have been a Roon user for over 4 years and I have been waiting and watching other platforms integrate the streaming service from Sirius/XM.

3 Likes

I think roon want global services and as Sirius is US territories only…

I too am in the group that would like to see built in Roon integration with Sirius XM (SXM). I have been a SXM subscriber for years I primarily listen to it in my car/plane/boat and while it is not the high resolution quality of other music services they have a pretty good (IMO) curation of music amongst the various genres.

Where Roon stands out in my opinion is the integration with high end audio kit and the multi-room capability. As a lifetime subscriber of Roon with a Nucleus+, a biggish catalog of music, a subscriber to Tidal, and a long term subscriber of SXM I am committed to Roon and my audio setup. I am not ready to leave Roon for something else like Sonos (yet).

Let me say the Sonos integration of SXM is very good. I would like to have seen that with Roon…but alas it is what it is for the foreseeable future.

Here is what I did to get SXM into Roon and every room in my house. Let me say it works but requires a couple of extra steps and requires some techie ability but not unsurmountable.

I am using a Sonos Port into a Mac computers line in port (that I previously used to host the Roon server) and sending that to a local Icecast server. I use Audio Hijack to broadcast the line in audio source to the Icecast server. Roon sees that Icecast stream as Radio Station that I setup as a “My Live Radio” station.

The downside to this setup is I have to use two apps. The Sonos app to control what SXM station I want to select and the Roon app to control Roon. Not elegant but it gets the job done.

The upside is that anything I can play with the Sonos app can be served up to Roon. I have not explored this very far but this may open up other “sources” that I had not considered. My primary goal was to have SXM.

I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to do the same.

2 Likes

I also would like to be able to stream SiriusXM via Roon. I subscribe to Tidal but listen to some of the genre stations on Sirius to find new music. Also used for sports. I do not have Sonos, so the above, detailed solution (thank you anyway MvB!) using Audio Hijack will not work for me. I have the Cambridge Audio CXN-V2 streamer, so I can get Sirius via Cast or AirPlay, but would prefer Roon. Has anyone else come up with a solution that allows integrating SiriusXM with Roon?

Unfortunately, Room support doesn’t provide an update to it user base regarding Sirius integration. Like, have they even tried to get Sirius, and, if not, why not. If so, why hasn’t it happened.

++1 on this. Yes – the audio quality of SiriusXM is terrible but they have content that you cannot find anywhere else. This is a major WAF for our household.

When will the ability to stream SiriusXM be added to Roon?

2 Likes

My best guess … Never!

Why? Limited geographic availability and it’s not really a streaming service where the end user can choose the tracks they want to listen to. More like multiple radio stations but then the subscription model does not fit Roon’s current Internet Radio paradigm.

Tim

Technically, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t treat SiriusXM like a service in a way similar to that of Tidal and Quobuz.
I understand that the quality of the stream isn’t good, but there are times when it would be convenient to stream SiriusXM.
For instance, my wife and I were listening to an unusual recorded jazz performance via SiriusXM in our car the other day. As we had to leave our car, it would have been nice to come into our house and hear the balance of the recording on our home stereo.
Please reconsider!
CdeR

2 Likes

I may have this wrong by while SiriusXM has a library like TIDAL & Qobuz I’m not sure that the fact they have one track from an album means they always have all the other tracks or that if they did you could listen to them.

I listen to SiriusXM in my car and while I don’t listen to that many channels I get the impression that many of them are a mix of pre-recorded dj comments and pre-selected tracks which are merged and played back like a radio station. I don’t see how this fits into Roon’s database driven model with albums and tracks.

Also, don’t they already offer in home streaming?

Tim

@anon97951896 is just expressing an opinion not giving an official response. :kissing_smiling_eyes:
We are just users. I happen to agree with him though.

I requested this feature a month ago. Suggesting that Roon is all about the database seems to be an over simplification. Roon is about RAAT and managing your music experience and the DB is just one aspect of that experience. People who use Roon do not want to use other tools and software they want to use Roon so asking to have Sirius as a supported stream seems logical to me. I personally want my entire music experience on a single piece of glass not a hodge podge of different software I have to cobble together. so I agree, please provide Sirius or an open source toolkit that allows me to create an internet Roon radio station.

3 Likes

Well, you can log into SiriusXM and listen via your browser, or an app on your phone, but that forces you to pipe analog signal created by your computer/phone directly to the stereo. I would much prefer to pipe a digital signal through Roon, if possible. The resulting sound would surely be superior.
I don’t think that Roon is “only about the database”. A critically important function for Roon is to convert incoming digital signals to ones that the DAC will digest.

1 Like

I have SiriusXM satellite radio in my car and I’ve come enjoy the programming on several of he stations. At home, I’ve been accessing the SiriusXM internet radio feed using a Roku stick connected to the HDMI port on my Oppo BDP-105 universal player, which then feeds my Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC via a digital coaxial SPDIF connection (since my Roon Nucleus+ connection occupies the USB port). For me, the radio is for casual listening and the quality is more than acceptable for casual listening. While my system works, it would be more convenient if I could access SiriusXM using Roon, in the same manner that I can access Tidal, Quobuz and other internet radio stations. It would also free up an input on my DAC and I could probably eliminate the Oppo tool. That’s my Roon wish list for today.

4 Likes

I believe ROON should not decide what it’s users should and shouldnt listen to, or how, but rather help us be addicted to their product and their services.

Recognize a lot of EXCLUSIVE CONTENT is on siriusXM, for example the METROPOLITAN OPERA only streams on XM.

Sonos can stream it just fine, seems competitive and smart to let your dedicated listeners use your app for more, instead of having us ask… Maybe I need to go looking for something else, something better, something less restrictive!

I really like Room, but hate it when decisions are made by the developers without considering your loyal followers first.

EXAMPLE: Not having a folder view option. Simple to add, but ROON says no.

Thanks Room team for all you do, just know our loyalty comes from your loyalty to us as well.

Jeff

1 Like