Integration of Sirius XM Music

I’d like to see Roon supporting YouTube Music, but it is not high on my wishlist for Roon. There have been requests for Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. Roon Labs has to prioritize these these along with other feature requests. Due to limited development resources, not everything gets implemented. If there is sufficient demand for Sirius or other streaming service, I’m sure they will support it, especially if not doing so leads to significant loss of users/revenue.

I think a better solution would be for Roon to allow routing external audio streams through it so that you can turn any app or web audio into RAAT multi-room audio. There’s a thread from 2016 where Roon basically says it’s on the roadmap, and then never mentioned it again. I think this kind of feature would benefit more users than specific requests to support Sirius or Spotify or XYZ other audio source.

And I’d imagine there’d be a bit less pressure for Roon to add support for features like Tidal Radio if we could just use the official Tidal app but route it through Roon. It’s likely that Roon could also hook into Win/Mac system APIs to give some basic playback controls between Roon and the other app (Play/Pause, Prev/Next Track, App Volume should all be accessible on a system level and would control whatever app is actively playing audio – in that case, Roon would simply be a remote control).

This is from my perspective as someone who runs Roon server on Windows 10. I don’t know how people who use the Roon OS or Nucleus would do it – I guess you’d still have to feed it an audio stream from the Tidal or Spotify apps running on a desktop OS.

2 Likes

I agree and I have written about this, years ago.
But the challenge lies in the system configuration.
I do not sit in front of a Windows machine when listening to music (and I have 40+ years in the industry, the last 13 years at Microsoft). But that’s work.
Like many people here, when enjoying music, there is a Roon core server somewhere in the house, in a closet or the basement or a rack. My interaction with the music is with a remote, in my case an iPad, for some people a phone or a laptop, but not the core.
So a viable solution requires that I can choose music or radio stream on the screen in my hands, and then the system sends it back to the core, where room correction and upsampling is applied, and then it is sent out to the endpoint which is not the iPad in my hands,
We know that this is the correct solution, we know how to build it, but it’s not “really easy”. And we know that an architecture where you sit in front of a PC doing it all there is not today’s world.
I hope we will get this,
And I hope we will get other things, about global mobility.
It’s all about system architecture (ok, I was a systems architect).

2 Likes

You can now stream SiriusXM to computer devices and Apple TV 4K with no added cost if you have a paid account. My Apple TV 4K plays through my Bose system without needing Roon. I tried it a time or two, but have no desire for SiriusXM at home, just in my car.

You can use your Apple TV 4K as a Roon tested Airplay device. I haven’t tried playing SiriusXM that way, if you even can.

Yes it’s definitely very challenging with the computing landscape now including iOS, mostly because Apple limits what iOS can do compared to Mac/Win/Linux. My guess is that this is a big part of why we haven’t seen anything from Roon yet – they want a solution that works for everyone. While it’s possible to reroute audio on iOS using IAA or AUM or Audiobus, apps have to support it and AFAIK none of the consumer streaming apps do.

It would be an interesting experiment if Roon went down this path and got Tidal and Qobuz to add audio routing to their apps and the Roon Remote app tapped into that to relay the audio back to the Roon Server. For me, Tidal and Qobuz aren’t just faceless sources of music, I actually like using the apps + the features that haven’t made it into the Roon app yet (I also don’t really like the non-native Roon app design). It’d be nice to be able to use Tidal and select “Roon” as my iOS audio destination, just like I do today with Airplay or Bluetooth speakers.

But yeah that’d be really complicated and I can imagine it would require people to have a somewhat new iOS device and a very good WiFi network for it to function reliably at 24/96. So I can see why they have so far gone with the option of direct integration.

SiriusXM sounds terrible. Am I the only one who thinks so?

4 Likes

No. You’re not.

(I wonder if we could get WKRP in Cincinnati too. :wink:)

3 Likes

agreed, the quality isnt great but not terrible if on Max quality in the app (much better than my head unit in truck) but I think the main reason for this is getting the exclusive content (Talk radio being the key but they have cool concerts and interview shows for music as well)

I have 1-2 shows I listen to pretty regularly so it would be great to throw it to Roon but I just cast to Google for now and that works as well.

b

1 Like

Hi Roomers.

The reason I want Sirius XM is to get the stream played through my Sonos boxes. This is the only source for the METROPOLITAN OPERA archives playback. Currently the SONOS app allows SIRIUSXM but not Roon so I can’t drop SONOS app which I want to do desperately.

Any ideas how to get SIRIUSXM into Room?
Jeff

1 Like

I am a noob having just installed my trial today. I am hoping there is a way to add additional internet music services. In particular, my wife likes to listen to SiriusXM.

Can I add this to the list of internet services or if not are their any plans to make Sirius available via Roon?

1 Like

I know a lot of people have asked for this. Can RoonLabs please explain why this cannot be supported? It is available as Internet Streaming, just like any other Internet Radio.

So what is the issue? Is it because of the channels? So then make it such that each channel is a different Internet Radio station! Meaning, allow users to add add any channel as a new internet radio station, that should be easy, no?

Me, I only listen to SiriusXM Channel 67, which is Real Jazz. It is really frustrating that I cannot listen to this through Roon.

Thanks,
Goran

1 Like

Hey now!

Any plans to incorporate Sirius/XM into a partnership like we have with Title?

Although it might be nice to have SiriusXM support via Roon, it is unlikely to happen. IF SiriusXM would provide an individual subscriber URL for the station(s) that you want to add into Roon, then it could be done via Roon’s existing Live Radio feature with no additional software engineering just like you would add a custom radio station.

I do this currently with Calm Radio, where I maintain a subscription and it works flawlessly. Calm Radio provides each of their subscribers an individual customized URL.

Now, if we can just get SiriusXM to do the same… problem solved.

1 Like

Bluesound now has SiriusXM. It would only makes sense if Roon integrated as a service.

Because they have channels which play my kind of music. So I use it to discover amazing artists, songs and albums.

Although I subscribe to SiriusXM for my car, I use Qobuz/$150/Yr. to discover new albums and artists and can load them into Roon in seconds…Just a thought…

It’s not about the quality or quantity of music, in fact the music quantity is a problem. I use Tidal, because they have MQA music, the highest quality music on the planet, in my opinion.

SiriusXM gives me something those streaming services cannot: Human DJs who have the same taste in music as me. They do the music discovering for me.

2 Likes

Longtime subscriber here (15+ years) and would love this. In fact, I’m still running LMS with a python server, just so I can play exclusive SXM content (talk, etc.).

Using their app is extremely unreliable and only works via Airplay. Casting has been broken since day 2 of them introducing that feature (2019ish).

Bumping this thread - Sirius XM integration is still desirable.

3 Likes

Going to bump this here. Radio is available on Roon. Sirius XM is radio too, just delivered by satellites instead of airwaves. There’s no justification for Sirius XM to not be a selection in My Radio.

4 Likes