This machine acts as the Roon Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/A

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC connected to the computer running Roon via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

16,000 tracks

Description of Issue

There are intermittent audio crackles and pop that are about 12-15 dB less than the music playing. This is very similar to surface noise and pops you sometimes get when playing a record. Someone had a similar ticket open earlier this month that is just like my issue. It sometimes resolves itself when I restart the whole computer but it will inevitably comeback (anywhere from 10 mins to a couple hours later)

This issue is most noticeable when I am listening on headphones.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You’ve unknowingly installed the vinyl lovers’ Roon edition, since it sounds so much more analog!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Okay, that one’s been for fun, couldn’t resist…

:nerd_face:
Now, for the serious part of my contribution:

• I know your DAC’s USB implementation is supposedly galvanically isolated, but nevertheless, what kind of USB cable are you using - anything audiophile? If audiophile, try regular…
  • What type digital filter did you set, NOS or regular? If NOS, try regular…
  • What’s the processing speed shown in your signal path usually at?
1 Like

I actually solved it. It was not a Roon issue but a hardware and/or Windows issue. There was process latency due to my computer (which was using a BIOS that was 2 years out of date). Using a software called LatencyMon, I was getting a measured process latency up to 1200 microseconds and average around 600 microseconds. I updated the BIOS on my computer (MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi MOBO) to the latest driver and have had LatencyMon running for the past 30 mins and am having much much lower average (80 microseconds) and maximum interrupt to process latency (350 microseconds). And no more audible pops!

This is my signal path BTW

Simply replying in case someone in the future runs into this issue.

And thanks for the laugh haha. I have a record collection when I want to scratch the pure analog itch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.