Intermittent slow searches

Sounds familiar, including the initial ‘flash’. Like reports all over the forum, I intermittently suffer from very slow / slow /sluggish retrieval of search results (since Roon 1.6) when Qobuz account is activated. It has been as bad as 30-40 seconds at least. Sometimes, trying again a couple of times results in a noticeable improvement, often it doesn’t.

Repeated checks - on potential local network or Internet connectivity /speed issues - when Roon searches slow to a crawl, have shown nothing out of the ordinary. The native Qobuz app does not suffer any problems with either search or playback when the Roon search result retrieval slowness manifests.

Other relatively bandwidth hungry (video) streaming services play happily. With Qobuz disabled, results are quick as of old and there are no playback issues. Switching between my Internet providers’ own DNS servers and Google or Cloudflare makes no discernable difference. I am based in the UK, down spead typically ca 35 Mbps, up ca 8Mbps.

Scanning the quite sizeable number of reports (some angry, some relaxed, some mater-of-fact), and support requests in recent weeks and months, my instinct and bet would be that the issue is further upstream, closer to Roon’s infrastructure.

I actually like that idea much more than finding out that my own network infrastructure and Internet connectivity is below par for Roon+streaming service. Am simply hoping it’s within Roon’s control and they can solve this in the not to distant future. Actually, I believe they will. If not, my stop-gap, reluctantly, would probably be to revert to using Roon with local library only.

3 Likes

Hi @ToneDeaf,

I’ve moved your report over to it’s own thread so our team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.