Internal vs external library storage on Nucleus

Roon Core Machine

I’m about to take delivery of my Nucleus and was told I’d be inviting warranty issues if I opened it to install a library SSD. I’m happy to take that advice but are there any performance issues with simply attaching an external SSD through the USB 3 input?
How should the SSD be formatted? I’m running a Win 10 64bit PC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

About format: see “USB Storage - Best Practice” section here:

About performance: it will have an impact only on the periods when Roon will analyze the files in the storage:

• Initial analysis, at the first connection of the storage. This takes a long time anyway, especially if you have many audio files.
  • Analysis of newly added audio files later. This takes a little time, if you don’t add a very large amount of files.

Anyway, this analysis is done in the background, so its duration should not be a problem.

1 Like

Wow…that was fast…thanks Daniel, that’s very clear.

1 Like

I have a NUC 10 series but same principal

Without a doubt go internal , depending on your library size 2,4 or even 8 Tb. The Nucleus is a nice looking piece of kit , why have a string out the back ?

I went 4Tb (Crucial) because I couldn’t source either a 4 or 8 Tb Samsung last year. So I have both internal and external , I went for a WD My Passport 5 Tb for my less used library items. It quite neat but not quite.

Internal drive formatting MUST be done with Roon OS so don’t copy anything before fitting, the external USB can be NTFS or exFat as of the new upgrade so stay NTFS

2 Likes

I’d recommend exFAT (for external drive), but agree will all other points.

1 Like

Nope, you can safely fit an internal drive without affecting the warranty. As others have said, it must be formatted from the Nucleus Admin GUI, so don’t copy anything to it beforehand.

1 Like

The Windows default ius NTFS , I reformatted the drive exFAT initially . Then I went through a complete rescan of the drive all 57k tracks , with no real reason explained.

Apparently the 2.0 OS update had a new NTFS and exFAT driver so presumably that .

Finally I reformatted the drive NTFS wondering if that was better , @BlackJack seems to think a more modern architecture is better .

All done and stable now . The drive is going to stay in one place and its working fine so NTFS is fine (for me)

1 Like

I saw this the other day, though if cross platform compatibility isn’t required, it probably doesn’t matter…

Amazing that NTFS is still the default for Windows 10, it dates back to Windows NT 3.1 in 1993!

Well, that is a bit of a simplification. NTFS has gone through some iterations during the years, but it does show that things well done are persistent.

1 Like

exFAT is based on FAT which was released in 1977!

PS: Intel’s 8086 processor entered the market 1978.

1 Like

I’m a long way from 57k tracks…but you’ve given me something to aspire too :grinning:
I’ll go with the external drive for now formatted with exFat.
Thanks for all the input.

Hi @Ian5,

I’m just checking in. Is everything working wonderfully for you?

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Nice of you to follow up…thanks.
Battle is joined!
The new external SSD is working very well with a new blank Music folder created on it.
I decided it was likely there would be startup/installation issues so I gave myseelf little to lose if a few nukings were necessary. :blush:
I am working through what appears to be a Windows firewall issue and, beyond that, having Roon recognise my new Mini-i Pro DAC streamer consistently. Even when it does find it, it wants to stream to it with Airplay rather than over the Lan which connects it. It’s all fun and games so far and, hopefully before divorce and murder is imminent, I’ll fall back on more sound advice here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.