iPad app in portrait (for all models) [Done in Roon 1.8]

This thread is about 3,5 years old now, so is my membership. We still have to rotate our device 90 degrees in order to be able to use the Roon app. This is an absolute UX nightmare. The decision to support only landscape mode on tablets is the single worst call in UX history. Please Roon, with all respect for your otherwise great application, fix this UX-bug asap.

3 Likes

+1 on this.

It would be great if Apple did us a favour and required all apps to support all orientations (only exception being games)

Automatic orientation support for iPhone and iPad apps

Important: It is strongly recommended that your iPad applications support all orientations. This includes portrait, portrait upside-down, landscape left and landscape right. iPad apps that require an orientation must support both variants of that orientation.

No answer from roon on this question ?

Their dog ate the roadmap.

There have been many answers to this, itā€™s not a bug its a basic design choice related to the pixel width of an ipad in portrait mode. Search the forum.

The pro 12.9 had enough so it works both ways

I use a windows 10 tablet that works both ways , it looks awful in portrait , itā€™s too narrow

I use my tab in landscape 90% of the time

1 Like

Portrait mode is just one aspect where the Roon iPad app is falling behind expectations; it would be great to have slide over and split screen too. Slide over would be great when you just want to change volume, or pause. Thereā€™s plenty of real estate to provide at least the functionality of the phone app with a slide over screen.

1 Like

It is common for iOS apps to alter their design between portrait and landscape. It is also common for website and web appsā€¦ designing to a screen size is really silly in this age of responsive design.

1 Like

If you read through the forum threads you can find the reasons behind the current position. That roon are here now through legacy reasons and have plans to change it.
Small team, big plans.

The iPhone is only in portrait mode, so a Ā« small Ā» portrait mode is possible but not a Ā« big Ā» portrait mode on iPad ? Except on the huge/expensive Pro 12.9 ??
It make no sense, sorry ā€¦ many other apps work fine in both modes.
By the way the iPhone app is not complete, missing some menu and navigation options, which is another problem.
I still love roon, would not use any other app, but please be honest with app versions on different type of devices :wink:

Can we please have portrait orientation for the tablet app?! Its absence is the only thing that imho separates Roon from perfection :).

1 Like

Please portrait mode

Please please please

Please please please

1 Like

I use Safari more in landscape mode since I use the iPad for a Roon remote most of the time. I might be all alone here, but I donā€™t find any loss of productivity using landscape mode for other things, and if it just a convenience issue to have a portrait mode, I really donā€™t need it.

I would rather have a more correct waveform in landscape mode that more closely matches the Roon display waveform. That, at least, affects usability for me in mastering comparisons.

1 Like

Landscape works for me.

1 Like

Yes, please let us have portrait mode on the iPad. I mentioned this many times on the forums. Itā€™s my only problem with Roon. It has to be a way, come on, it works on a Surface tablet, it looks great, we want it on the iPad. Normal iPad, I donā€™t want to buy a small tv of a tablet just to use Roon properly.
I am sick of rotating my tablet every time I need to interact with Roon.

3 Likes

+1 For Portrait mode.
My reason is as follows:
The lack of the Portrait mode for Ipad and other tablets is preventing our high resolution audio demos using Roon as the source for 192Khz, DSD, MQA and generic lossless material.
As the end clients become confused of the landscape/ portrait switching they get the impression that Roon is not properly integrated into the UX.
As they see Roon as inflexible we then have to recommend them alternative sources such as Sonos or BluRay for ease of use. If Roon could accomodate the ā€œPortrait fansā€ they would see great increase in subscription as end users would be comfortable with its more adaptable control system integration. Hurrying up with this "portrait mode " would benefit the brand and the end customers with minimal complications. Prioritise it please!

1 Like

Itā€™s really boring (iPad Pro 10 here).

Landscape works for me too, but so should portrait. What good reason is there for Roon not to work in portrait?

Split screen and/or slide over would be more important to me, at least. I hate to have to switch apps when listening to see what artist is being played on radio, or to play/pause.

1 Like

@support: What is the status of the feature request?
It is for a long time on the roadmap now. And should be not too difficult to realise, because Roon on the iPhone it is working in portrait mode.

The reason has been explained countless times, buy the ipad pro 12.9 and all will be well

Its unlikely Roon will change their fundamental design to acheive this or they would have done it by now