Today I have tested the Roonapp on a another iPad (iPad Air1).
Also the same problems; every minut a reconnection I have described in early reply’s.
I think maybe there is a correlation with the memorymanagement of the iOS app. When I change the memory for artwork etc. to minimum than the profile picture dissapears a full second but there is no reconnection warning.
When I change this falue back to 64 MB the problem is back. When I change the falue back tot minimum than the problem stays.
This test give the same results at the another iPad (air1).
All this tests are done with iPad build 200
The coreserver has build 204
So, I just pulled out my iPad and I’m not having any issues here. We also have a lot of uses with iOS users that aren’t reporting these issues, so something is different in your environment and we need to figure out what that is.
Once we know what that is I’m sure we can resolve this, whether it’s a bug on our end (which we can fix once we’ve created a similar environment in-house) or an issue with your setup, or network, etc.
So, to start, could you both gives us the details of your setup, as described here – in particular, please let me know about all the network hardware in use, the Core platform, the iOS model and firware version, and exact steps you’re taking when this issue occurs.
I know a few of these details have been mentioned above, but I want to make sure we have all the current details from both of you, so we can identify any commonalities. Thanks guys!
Core is in a Windows 8 64 bit PC i7, 16 MB of ram. Different room hard wired to Ethernet switch via MoCa adapter. Router (FIOS Quantum Gateway creates MoCa network). Several devices are connected to the same switch, and work fine, including TiVo Mini.
My wifi is strong, Fios 100/100 Mbps. This issue started a couple of days ago. Never had this issue before, same setup.
iOS version 10.2.1
Deleted Roon app on iPad and reinstalled. No changes
I would be curious to hear about the outcome of this as well. On 1.2 the Ipad was rock stable, but with after 2.3 - with the 200 and 203 upgrades it has become less stable, sometimes just slow in reacting and at other times the pad needs to be started over. I don’t see this on my android phone. I can send details as well if that is helpful, but probably you have enough to work with?
I agree with you’re post, my experience on the iPad is the same as you wrote:
" On 1.2 the Ipad was rock stable, but with after 2.3 - with the 200 and 203 upgrades it has become less stable, sometimes just slow in reacting and at other times the pad needs to be started over. I don’t see this on my android phone. "
Sorry to hear that some of you guys are having this issue, but please bear in mind that there are 1000’s of happy iPad Roon users out there … so this is problem is either an edge case or down to a local configuration problem.
As such we do need to give the Roon’s developers sometime to collect logs and setup information and then for them to attempt to reproduce in house. It’s certainly not a case that they don’t care.
I’ll leave a tag here for @support to respond … but I note it been less that a day since @mike posted at it is the weekend after all.
I gave my response to relate to the problem I have also experienced. My configuration has not changed network-wise, the only difference is an upgrading from a macbook-based Roon server to a Linux based (I5, 16 gb ram 4th gen NUC).
That said, I am - in line with several other users - extremely happy with not just Roon as such, but also your attention towards solving even what might seem minor problems in the larger picture of a well functioning system.
I have the same problem with my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro. It now takes at least 5 minutes to regain remote connection and it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with wifi speed (in my case, 150 to 200 megabits) or whether my devices can access the internet (they have been doing so just before, after, and during the Roon “connection.”
It has actually gotten worse, in my view. I have had several instances in which the connection is established and then dropped (leading to several minutes or more of trying to reconnect). This has been especially aggravating when Roon Radio has selected something I don’t want to hear (and the others in the room are grumbling).
After non-use, it goes to sleep. When I wake it up, the last screen (on Roon) flashes only to be replaced by the “Connecting” screen.
The latest update made the remote unstable for me.
I can be reading a bio or scroling albums when all of a sudden I get the white screen with loading jelly fish logo…
Reconnecting only takes a second or two but this is very annoying