iPad Pro losing connection to ROON Core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC i7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear 9000 Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Netgear r9000

Description Of Issue

I have a system that sends music from TIDAL (or sometimes from my ripped cds on a NAS) within ROON on a NUC Server (i7) to a NUC Endpoint (i7) then on to a Devialet 1000Pro - all controlled by an iPad Pro. All is good but multiple times a day the iPad loses its connection to the core - even though music continues to play. This happened with previous server (MacBook Air) and different endpoints (SOtM, etc). If I shut down the iPad and restart all is fine.

When this happens my iPhone maintains a connection. Therefore - I think - the issue is with the iPad. Anyone have any thoughts of what to try to make this go away?

Instead of rebooting the iPad have you tried force closing the Roon app on the iPad? Occasionally I (likely) experience the same connection error as you. On both my iPad and iPhone. When this occurs Roon shows a screen where it’s unable to find the core.

A friend of mine who also uses Roon experiences the same occasional connection issue (while using iOS devices). Maybe it’s Apple iOS related.

But like i said, force closing and restarting the app “fixes” it.

Hi @DJD,

On some Netgear routers there is a setting called Enable Smart Connect. If you disable this setting is there any change in what you’re seeing?

I will try that later today.

1 Like

@dylan The Smart Connect option was not enabled. I will try ‘force closing’ of the app next time it occurs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Thanks for confirming that, @DJD

Can you confirm what version of iOS your iPad is on vs your iPhone? You mentioned that the iPhone on the same network doesn’t exhibit the same issues, so it seems as though there is something specific to the iPad that is causing these drops.

Are there any battery saving settings that are enabled on the iPad that are not enabled on the iPhone?

Have you tried reinstalling the Roon app?

@dylan Will check iOS versions/battery settings later today. I have reinstalled ROON Remote multiple times.

I don’t check the phone every time the pad loses connection but I think it is pad specific. I know everyone’s system is different, but, I’ve seen others having the same issue but those threads don’t seem to end with the problem identified and a fix described - am I wrong?

Hi @DJD,

Thanks, definitely let us know once you’ve checked.

These types of issues can often stem from a number of different places — Bad networking gear, bad WiFi performance on the remote, bad cables, interferrence, etc. — It’s not going to be the same root cause for everyone.

Both phone and iPad are on the same and latest operating system. The battery area on the iPad just shows usage by app - no options to set. Other thoughts?

Hi @DJD,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Since it is a random thing, I can’t reproduce it, but when it occurs again I will note the time and let you know.

Thanks for your help

@dylan - so - just lost connection on the iPad. 7:48pm EST in the USA. Looked at the iPhone and it was fine. Mind you, music continues to play, I was googling things online and then went back to Roon and lost the connection. Just shut the iPad down and restarted and it is back.

Thanks for giving the timestamp here, @DJD.

When this happens is it always upon returning to the Roon app? Never when it’s in use?

If you force close the Roon app and then reopen it does it start working for you instead of doing a complete reboot?

Sometimes it happens when I am cruising around within ROON. Say, going from the artist page to artist bio then back to albums - then it will lose connection with the core (although as stated above the music is still playing).

I tried ‘force’ closing yesterday but it lost connection after that. Although - can explain how to ‘force close’. Yesterday i went to the home page (desktop or what ever you call it) with all the apps and tied and eventually swiped the icon to the side of the page - is that how you force close?

Thanks

Hi @DJD,

This article has some good instructions for doing this on various versions of iOS.

So just happened again - about 5:05 EST (USA). I force quit the app then restarted.

Thanks for the updated timestamp, @DJD.

Thanks! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

A post was split to a new topic: Remotes are losing connection to Core machine

So ‘Lost Connection’ to the core just happened again at 7:26pm EST in the USA on the iPad. Connection on my iphone was fine. I forced the app to close 5 or 6 days ago.

Dan

@dylan - What did you learn from the logs?