iPad unable to find Roon core and limited visibility on setup screen (ref#CVWOD9)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Networking

Description of Issue

My iPad can’t find the core. It is on the same network and the VPN is turned off.

Much of the main menu is not visible on the setup screen of the Core computer either.

When it looks for Roon nucleus it can’t find it.

When the core tries to play to a remote speaker, it finds it, identifies it, and plays to it, but no sound comes out of the speaker that works well with other devices.

Roon Server Platform

Windows

Roon Server Specifications

Acer laptop, 64GB RAM, 1TB storage, Windows 10. System age 1 year. Network - DECO318C

Connected Audio Devices

Krell K-300i (works), KEF LSX (works), B&W A7 (does not work) connected by WiFi

Home Network Details

Home network - DECO381C with two satelights

Hi,

You stated that the Roon Server was on Windows, but also …

Could you confirm what platform Roon Server is running on.

Roon Server version 2.0 (build 1353)

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing what version of Roon is running, however, what I was asking was …

… is your Roon Server running on a Roon Nucleus or on a Windows PC?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough with my question.

It’s running on a Windows PC

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect this is a Windows firewall issue…

There’s a couple of troubleshooting steps to try …

1. Download Roon again from their website and reinstall it on the PC. No need to uninstall anything.
    Doing so should check / reinstate any missing firewall rules.

2. If that does not help, try temporarily switching off the Windows firewall (if this does not help it will rule out firewall issues).

A question is Roon working ok on the PC itself, is it just the iPad that’s have connectivity issue?

1 Like

Just re-read and seen this, could you post a screenshot of what you are seen on the PC’s screen.

It is not a Windows firewall issue. It is Roon Server version 2.0 (build 1353) problem.

1 Like

It’s possible, but personally I would still have tried the troubleshooting actions suggested as they might just get your system up and running sooner.

I’m afraid I’m out of ideas now, I hope Roon @support can resolve this for you without too much delay.

I downloaded the installer and when I tried to open it, I was prompted to close the other open instances of the installer that of course were not open.

Here is the screen on the main core computer and even it can’t find the core and it spins like this interminably until I just exit the screen in frustration. So far none of the suggestions have made any impact at all with my problem.

That screen tells you it is looking for a Roon OS device - and of course it can’t find one, because you don’t have one in your network. Roon OS is used in the Nucleus and ROCK/NUC systems.

Your Roon Server should have been installed on your Windows OS - is it running?

Yes it runs normally on the computer. The iPads just does not connect to it. Also, since I changed from the ORBI router that was struck by lightening to the DECO_318C it won’t talk to the B&W A7 speaker that it used to talk to easily. It shows up on the menu, it plays the music but no music comes out of the speaker system. If I play to the speaker using Youtube on the iPad, it plays perfectly.

Can you post a screenshot of Roon’s Settings > Audio screen showing the B&W A7 device?

Here it is

@michaelwalsh3, this isn’t the settings screen. Go to Roon Settings > Audio, using the sidebar menu.

Is this what you are after?

Hi @michaelwalsh3,

Thank you for your patience. As other users have mentioned, there are known issues with iOS remote connectivity that the team is actively investigating and for which we hope to release a fix soon.

However, given the context you’ve provided in your previous posts, it’s likely we’re encountering a different issue, possibly as a result of some network changes introduced after you reset your network topology.

On your Windows machine, can you please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

The team will use these to determine whether there is a separate resolvable issue compounding the situation. We’ll keep an eye out for your response. Thank you!

I have uploaded about 20 log files. It was a challenge and I had to do it one file at a time.

Hi, If you need to do this again, I recommend zipping the logs file into a single zip file and then uploading that file. It also has the advantage of compressing the files size.

Windows has a built in feature for zip, but I prefer to use 7zip as it’s more flexible.