iPads and iPhone won’t connect and open Roon since router change to Google Nest

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac mini latest updated operating system latest Roon build.
iOS devices to control Roon.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Google nest router with google pod and 9 google WiFi modules. Just installed two nights ago.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Mac Mini connects to a google WiFi module in my listening room. That is connected to a Bon Angel Ethernet switch. Then Ethernet connects to a Bluesound Vault.

Description Of Issue
I switched my router from a Google WiFi module with mesh to a Google Nest router with extender and 10 WiFi module mesh set up.

But now none of my iPads work with Roon, nor my phone. On the screen that says connecting it keeps reading failed. I can change the music only from the computer screen. I’m not sure why as it worked fine with the Google WiFi mesh.

It sounds like you may have created a new network rather than extending the existing one when adding the Nest.

Can you confirm the IP addresses of the iPad and the computer that continues to work with Roon?

That is what I did. It’s option 1 and I thought having the nest as the router would allow faster greater uploads and down loads.

How do I find the IP address?

b4:F6:1C:65:5D:92 This is the IP address of one of my IPAds

Ip for the Mac mini is 192.168.86.27

I- of an IPad mini I use is
70:E7;2C:12:74:95

Those aren’t IPs; they’re MAC addresses.
MAC addresses are in the device’s firmware rather than being assigned by your router’s DHCP function.
Your network’s IPs are associated with firmware MAC addresses
That’s how a network path to a specific device is determined…

You can use the iOS app Fing to find the IPs being used.

This is the form of an IP.

Mac mini IP address 192.168.86.27

IPad 3 192.168.86.247

IPad mini 192.168.86.60

iPhone 192.168.86.43

Okay, so these all use the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.86.0. What is the IP address of the computer that successfully connects to Roon? What OS is this?

It would also be useful if you shared a screenshot from the iPad or iPhone.

It’s the Mac mini above. It’s hard wired via Ethernet

Okay, Mac Mini is Core and Control?

I think it would be helpful if you describe your setup in more detail as described here.

Mac mini is core and control. I have a desk top audio system in the same room connected to the Mac mini. The router is in an adjacent room it connects to the listening room via Ethernet. It comes in at a single point then connects to a Bonn angel audiophile grade network switch. The switch connects to a bluesound vault 2i and also to the Mac mini and 2 WD Mycloud nas drives. On the Mac mini I have a 4 TB usb drive with music and a 10 tb lacie usb drive with music on it. Both of the nas drives mentioned all ready are 4 TB. I have tidal, quobuz connected to my Roon account. I also have a Sonos connect hardwired from the Ethernet switch to access serious XM and amazon music. I have the full version of Roon on my Mac mini, not the server version. I should mention I work at University Audio and we are a Roon dealer.

I’m thinking I’m going to pull out the nest pods do a factory reset and a fresh install going back to the regular google WiFi pod as router unless you have a better idea .

Have you rebooted the switch? I would start with that and then everything else if it doesn’t help.

Cheers, Greg

Rebooted the switch, nothing.
Then deleted the WiFi network completely. Took the google nest router out and put in a google WiFi router. Reset every WiFi pod and repurposed the nest WiFi router as a pod. After full reset I still couldn’t get the iPads to connect. Deleted Roon completely then installed it fresh. Still wouldn’t work. Went to network setting in The Mac mini the connection was called Ethernet 3. Decided to try and switch it to WiFi rather than ethernet. I accidentally activated something called thunderbolt bridge. It connected. And now my iPads Roon controllers work. Though I’m not sure why or why not.

Hi @Elton_Crim,

It sounds like you accidentally created another network with the Ethernet 3 connection that was not on the same subnet as the rest of your devices.

If you do end up using the Ethernet connection in the future, I would keep this in mind. Are you still planning to try to switch over to the other router?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.