Is anyone else suddenly experiencing dropouts and halts

Just FYI - I have my local music library local on SSD, so remote access to music files was not my issue (except, when using Tidal of course). The fact that ungrouping zones fixed it suggests (for a bunch of reasons you all can infer) that disk access is not the issue.

Its too bad that the ROCK or Roon web gui doesn’t have basic performance data so we could see CPU utilization, buffer over/under runs, etc - basic stuff that could eliminate all this guessing.

Maybe it does exist. If so its not well communicated.

Le us know if your problem turns out to be related to where your music is stored. In my case i’m wondering if changing the buffer size might help, although that would also create larger inter-track delays. No free lunch :frowning:

Well obviously there have been instances recently where this statement has proven incorrect with Roon on certain platforms.

I’ve been running Roon for 3 x zones for almost 2 x years. Only once have I had to recycle any network gear. The fact it was my layer 2 switch was surprising. My GF noticed Netflix movies where running a lower adaptive bit rate / resolution and even noticed a buffer or two. This is very rare for us… I used my managed app to reboot my Amplifi router and AP’s… Neither of those devices rebooting fixed it. Then I resorted to something I never do… This being cycling my layer 2 switch. Then boom… Netflix and Roon where rocking. I use a cheap Netgear managed switch… I plan to get an Aruba fan-less managed switch soon. For my router / APs I use AMPLIFI mesh kit. I also have all network gear on UPS’. It been an extremely rock solid solution. I used to run Roon core bare metal install on my NUC, however, I moved to a binary install for I run LXD containers on my NUC Ubuntu host also.

Thanks. I tried, setting the exact same settings in fixed IP as were shown in the DHCP tab, and managed to make my ROCK unreachable :slight_smile: I luckily had a USB keyboard nearby and managed to <RETURN>networkreset<RETURN> my way out of trouble without bricking my ROCK. I’m so glad the ROCK has that enabled; I’ve screwed up a couple other times in my network admin dilletantism and needed to get out of trouble but those devices had to be factory reset. This is much better. Will try again later.

It’s a common mistake (I’ve made it) to set a fixed IP address in the device, rather than as a fixed MAC address->IP address in the router’s DHCP tables. If the device has a fixed IP in its internal network configuration, but the network itself changes, maybe because of a new router, what the device uses as its IP address and what the network thinks that device’s IP address is can disagree, with bad consequences as you describe.

1 Like

I’ll report back if/when i hear about the logs. As this drifts into DHCP land i’m signing off…

Actually I use both setting and have no issues using either singularly or together…I like to keep the fixed ones on the reserved list so I have them in sync and can list them easily.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.