Is Roon app Device Volume required for Roon Readiness?

I do remember something like that, though details are fuzzy. Though I know that UDP was in the mix somewhere. I recall grumbling about it.Thank you Dan.

And I also find the statement above fairly interesting. From that statement, when RAAT came out in v1.2, there were ALREADY Roon Ready devices. John stated above that any such devices were all networked devices, and always have been.

As I recall the term “Roon Tested” came out a good while after “Roon Ready” had been in place for a while. So prior to us having Roon Tested, what were all those approved-by-Roon USB DACs called if they weren’t Roon Ready? I’m asking - of course - because if I were asked, I’d say they were called Roon Ready. But that memory - possibly incorrect - contradicts what @john has said.

They more than likely had no definition at all as ir wasn’t necessary. No usb device has to be tested to work in Roon. Plenty dacs, AirPlay and Chromecast that are not Roon tested and work the same. I am finding hard to work out why you think they where Roon Ready when their is no documented evidence and John has already confirmed it’s for networked devices only. It even talks about In that article that usb and Roon bridge etc now use RAAT like Roon Ready devices not that they are Roon Ready devices.

As I recall the term “Roon Tested” came out a good while after “Roon Ready” had been in place for a while. So prior to us having Roon Tested, what were all those approved-by-Roon USB DACs called if they weren’t Roon Ready? I’m asking - of course - because if I were asked, I’d say they were called Roon Ready. But that memory - possibly incorrect - contradicts what @john has said.

To the best of my knowledge, Roon has never referred to USB audio devices as “Roon Ready”. I can say this with certainty since I joined in early 2018.

To the best of my search capabilities, the first mention of RAAT and Roon Ready came in October of 2015:

I believe that the “RoonSpeakers” software app became what we know as “Roon Bridge” today.

Yep, it was originally RoonSpeakers; thanks for the memory jog.

Thanks John for the clarification. So what were devices tested by Roon called at that time called? I ask because I know Roon kept a list AND even though any USB should theoretically work, all did not initially, and testing was done on USB devices to ensure they worked.

So unless my memory of such is completely wrong, what did we call those tested USB devices?

Thanks.

@john thanks for the detailed info and the trip down memory lane…great thread!!! One for the FAQ

1 Like

Then this Roon Ready device is behaving in a compliant manner for this aspect.

As explained by multiple posts above, Roon Ready = RAAT over network.

The limitation you found with USB does not affect Roon Ready (network).

If the device supports volume control with its native network playback, then Roon Ready requires it to support volume control over RAAT over network. This is known as feature parity requirement of Roon Ready.

If only if the device supports RAAT over network. USB is irrelevant.

No.

In a more complex configuration, you may have a network RAAT device that outputs USB (e.g. Pi or another computer doing a Roon Bridge), then USB input to the DAC.

In this case, the USB DAC is not functioning as a Roon Ready device.

Since you’ve got Roon Ready over network, why would you use USB when playing Roon?

Roon Ready only concerns RAAT over network.

USB input is irrelevant.

To my knowledge, Roon Tested (not Roon Ready) can cover inputs like USB, SPDIF, AirPlay, Chromecast, HDMI, or certain Roon blessed proprietary network protocols where RAAT cannot be done.

On the subject of UDP vs TCP:

Prior to June 2017 RAAT was based on UDP. Since Build 234 Roon redesigned RAAT to use TCP. See

2 Likes

Because my DAC supports higher resolution files over USB, vs. Ethernet or any other input.

That answers the state of affairs now, as has been previously posted here. I’d like to know what all the USB DAC’s, tested by Roon, were called initially. It may well have been Roon Ready. I know John says “No”, but he also indicated that he’s going by memory and he’s only been with Roon since 2018. I’m curious as to what those devices were called in 2015.

Maybe you can use the Wayback Machine to look up product webpages from back then?
http://web.archive.org/

1 Like

So never Roon Ready for USB, I hope this matter is now put to bed.

I does for me. Thank you. That’s what I wanted to see. A little surprised. But it all adds up.

Thanks.

So, if I connect a “Roon Ready” streamer to a different DAC, one that is not Roon Tested, when using Roon, can my streamer still be considered “Roon Ready”? Does it matter?

As I read that back it looks like a dumb question. OK it probably is, but I’m left wondering. Does “Roon Ready” imply a one-device solution?

As far as I know, Roon Ready applies to streamers, not DAC’s. It’s the streamer that is attached to your network.

1 Like

Roon Ready devices have Roon SDK code embedded in their system much like Chromecast, AirPlay are. it’s a software stack for manufacturers. Roon Tested is just a device that can be used by Roon as a direct connected device such as a DAC or a network connected device using non Roon transport mechanism, and they have tested it works in their own labs. Manufacturers have to send equipment to be tested to get this status and any Roon Ready device has to go through a thorough certification programme before it will be allowed to work.

And I think things like automatic source selection and volume control are/were part of that certification process with Roon Ready.

Volume only if they allow access to it. On a streamer it is not a prerequisite to have a volume control. Roon Ready Amps yes would require volume control, and source switching automatically. so it switches it on, changes input to Roon and plays the music from just hitting play on the App. And it needs to release the playback as soon as you stop it so the device can be used with its own control.

1 Like

If that DAC does not have a network port, it cannot be Roon Ready, but it can be Roon Tested.

Yes, a streamer can be Roon Ready even without a DAC. It matters, for example, for automatic switching to Roon.

I recall there are posts here asking why a user with a competitor non-Roon Ready streamer cannot switch to Roon from Tidal Connect.

If the device supports multiple sources, yes automatic switching to Roon Ready input is a requirement.

If the device supports volume control when using a non-Roon network source, they must support volume control with Roon Ready as part of (network) feature parity. It cannot be disallowed if this feature is present for other network sources.

I’m not aware of this being a Roon Ready requirement, but Lumin does automatic switching for all network sources.

1 Like

I am sure It needs to gracefully handover if another source is chosen. I am sure I saw that somewhere but likely is part of context switching to and from Roon. I can use my Naim app to override what’s playing in Roon as I am sure you can using the Lumin app.

Also Naim on their streamers only allow device volume if it’s enabled in thier app for the device by default they are fixed volume you need to toggle it on to use its digital device volume which was only added to get AirPlay Certification.

Thank you.

I’m being a little audiophile-obsessed here, I realize. Really was just wondering if sending a digital signal from a “Roon Ready” streamer to a DAC that is NOT “Roon Tested” would somehow “undo” the assurance that it will work well with Roon. Sometimes it doesn’t, specifically with MQA, but overall it’s a better DAC than my “Roon Ready” one.

Anyway, thanks for the help!