Is the Nucleus a streamer?

Not necessarily a money issue. I dont think it can be done physically . Lots of barriers ie duck work, load barring walls to drill through. But I will investigate.

Mine had to go through a wall over a flat roof, back down another wall and through a wall, concrete flat roof house , South African style , no roof spaces

Then protect it from Johannesburg sun!

As Jim said just do it , it will save you grief in the future, wireless has too many obstructions

Mine had to go outside through a wall, around the back of the house, back in through another wall.

I’m very tempted to hire someone to run Ethernet in the house. My network gear is in a media closet close to the center of the house. But like others here I have a low roof and the attic is full of duct work. Think I will check into that.

Can I ask how much the Nucleus cost on the black Friday deal?

Just use search!

Thanks. Good idea

It was $1119 US, I believe.

What is your old receiver? What inputs does it have? Does it have an optical/toslink input? What do you use now for playback thru the receiver?

Edit. See now this was an old thread and the op has moved on so never mind.

Old set up:
Squeeze box Touch => Oppo 105(via USB,running EDO on SBT)=> Marantz 7005 via RCA
No problems running 192/24

New Set up:
Nucleus => into Oppo 105 via HDMI(in back) => Marantz 7005 via RCA

Getting drops on new set up on 192/24 files. No problems on 96/24 on both?

Any ideas what if any setting I should check on the oppo?
On the HDMI audio settings it give me an options for Auto, LPCM, and Bit Stream.I have it in auto.

Anything other I should check?
Next im going to change the HDMI from back to front
Change HDMI?
Go from Nucleus HDMI to Oppo to Nucleus USB to Oppo?

@Larry_Gelman perhaps you should start a new #support:nucleus-support thread with explicit details of where music is and what your network connections are

I tried my darnedest to get HDMI to work from my Nucleus+ to Oppo 205. I still futz with it occasionally but can’t get it to work. Too much stuttering and dropouts.

USB works perfectly.

I use HDMI from my Nucleus to Oppo 203 and it works perfectly. I know there are some differences in the Oppo 203 and 205. You need USB anyway if you want to do MQA.

So far I have replaced HDMI cable, moved from HDMI input from back to front on the Oppo and placed Oppo in Pure Audio mode. All no help. One thing I noticed, I had my TV in the display mode as the oppo. Even thought the TV was in sleep mode, there may have been some refreshed single going from Oppo to TV. I know HDMI cables are very suspect to “handshake” issues. If that does not work ill try USB later today.

What is your OPPO connected to, amp, receiver? Here is something to consider.

I have been using HDMI from Nuc/Rock to my OPPO 205 and Denon receiver for awhile now.

In the beginning I had issues with stuttering and dropouts with Audioquest cables and only the occasional dropout with lesser cables.

But the problem ended up being my LG OLED TV. Not something you would expect to cause dropouts. I had a USB powered back light on the TV and, as strange as this sounds, it appears the TV was trying to draw power from the HDMI circuit to feed the USB powered light.

One night I turned on the surround system playing with Roon, with the house lights off and the TV off, the USB powered lights on the back of the TV lit up and the dropouts started. That was spooky. You could see the HDMI indicator on the receiver flashing on and off with the dropouts. I disconnected the USB light connection from the TV and the dropouts stopped. That eliminated the issue, no more dropouts since then.

All strange but true. The moral of this story is to consider external forces and not just the connection between NUC/Nucleus and OPPO or receiver.

Cool story, thanks! HDMI is connected from Oppo to an AVR and balanced, unbalanced, and toslink to an integrated. Since it sounds like anything can go wrong, I will putter and unplug each one to see if it solves the issue thanks again!

Hope it helps. To expand a little, this one had me chasing my tail for weeks.

It was weird that the problem was so much worse with the Audioquest Cinnamon cable than it was with an old cable I had laying around. With the old inexpensive cable the dropouts were sporadic, maybe once or twice an hour. With the Audioquest cable it was constant. Replaced the cable figuring that had to be the problem. After discovering the real problem I put the Audioquest back in and it works just fine.

What I gather from that is the Audioquest cable has better conductivity. With the old cable the connection was attempted but not enough power detected so a single dropout occurred with each attempt. With the AQ cable there was enough so it kept going. One guess is as good as another.

Good luck finding the issue.

Here’s another 2 cents. I am here just trying Roo n because I’m looking for a fix to drop outs in my music streaming. I started streaming from a NAS a few years back when I decided to get back into 2 channel music. First I streamed from my Oppo and Marantz theater set up through the remote zone to speakers downstairs. I then started reading Audiostream. Something that came to my email because I subscribed to Home Theater magazine.

I then was convinced after emailing back and forth with a Audiostream reviewer, that I needed a dedicated 2 channel system. It started with a usb dac, Bel Canto ulink. Still have it if anyone wants to buy it. It led to new everything including a real streamer, which now isn’t Roo n ready, so if I stick with roon, it will be replaced.

Each piece I added made a difference in sound quality. None made a huge difference. None made an immediately obvious difference. But all made a small difference for thebetter. My final addition just happened this year.

I never believe d that interconnects and power cords made a difference. I’m fact , I thought the idea and cost was insane. But I decided since I had a very old cheap digital cable that I would get a new one just for fun. guess what? It made a difference. $5000 or so later I now have all new interconnects, power cords, a power conditioner and even an auctioneer outlet in the wall for $160 or some crazy thing. I must be nuts

Was it worth it? To me? Yes. If I sit in the sweet spot on my couch and really listen to the music, I can hear things that I never heard before. It really is amazing. Would I know if someone took 2 power cords out and put the stock ones back? Probably not. Heck, I might not even notice if it was all gone tomorrow, until I sat in the sweet spot and really listened

So if you are just listening to music in the background while you go about you’re business, if you don’t notice the difference between an mp3 and a 24/192 file or you think I’m nuts for buying all the cables, then you probably don’t need a separate streamer. But if you’re a little nuts like some of us, then maybe you do.

I’ll say also, what my stereo store guy, said to me. They make these things and they cost a real lot. If they didn’t make a difference, nobody would be buying them

Oh, you’d be surprised. Look how many people have bought the Brooklyn Bridge (and I don’t mean the DAC!). But it sounds like your stereo store guy knows his man.

:joy::joy::joy:. He might, but if I hear the difference, I hear the difference.

And my imaginary friends do too😀

1 Like