Is there any interest in a music files backup solution?

I’m curious why you’re doing it manually? I’m on a Mac and use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. Both of those programs backup my files without any participation on my part and Windows has similar software available.

I don’t see how this can be fully answered without understanding the rest of the roadmap and what if anything would be traded off if backups were to be developed.

No, absolutely not.
For three reasons.

1. I have no interest in a backup service, and neither does anybody else. What we need is a RESTORE service. I’m not being funny, this is a statement about the reliability of the service. Building a high integrity data protection service is very demanding, I would not be interested in one from anybody other than professionals in that field. One critical issue is security, not for amateurs. (I speak from experience at large companies that do that.)
  2. I don’t want to protect music with a different system than my other information.
  3. I already have one, of course, doesn’t everybody?

There has been discussion about related issues, such as mobile cloud playback. Those are interesting. But that was not the OP question,

2 Likes

Absolutely interested if;

• It allow users to be able to stream the library off site like Plex.
  • Any changes to the library such as artist images, album metadata being stored and keep in the cloud.

I would willing to pay up to $50 a month but it’s all depending on what are the details of the features.

1. Yes, I am interested in backup for data and music library. I would pay $5 per month for that service.
  2. Could there also be an option in Roon OS 2.0 to check the integrity of the songs imported or ripped from a CD to identify the ones with audio dropouts e.t.c.

File-based music represents 90% of my listening in ROON. Even so, I do not have much interest in this. I have looked at some of the comments and like many, I have alternative solutions which do not cost ROON development time. I would much rather have better (meta) data output from your database for example. Since that is not what you are interested in with this question, I will stop.

1 Like

If such a service were able to backup directly from my NAS (and not just from my attached storage drives) then yes, I would be most interested.

I have a ROCK on an Intel NUC. I would imagine that Nucleus owners have the same issue. Other than the DB backup process built-in the ROON UI, we don’t have another option. I currently shutdown my ROCK server and pull my ROON Library disk to copy the Library to a second Disk on my Ubuntu workstation. It would be nice to hang a second Disk off my ROCK server and have ROON create a second copy for me.

1 Like

Having a library backup option built into the Roon UI might be useful for some users, but it is not something I would use. I maintain local backups of my server contents. But I have had to answer questions from novices about why the “Roon Backup” routine does not backup their files, so there is confusion out there in the world.

Mmm, possibly. BUT you already integrate DropBox for backing up of your database. Why not include other services or one of Roon’s choice that can guarantee that your music files can be restored correctly and efficiently.

I have been waiting for what seems like forever to have iCloud added to Roon services to be able to backup my database. I pay Apple for a iCloud family tier. My family, including my own siblings, my wives siblings and our parents all use Apple products and their iCloud backup/syncing facilities. I really don’t want to pay another company as well.

I also use iTunes Match and have since its inception, so that I can listen to my music on the go, any songs that it can’t match in your library it then uploads so that you can listen on all your devices. Okay its not Hi-Res or even CD quality but it has worked well for listening on the go.
I am about to cancel it at the end of this year as I am slowly finding and adding all my albums to TIDAL. So there doesn’t seem much point in having the service.

I also keep an up to date iTunes library with any Hi-Res purchases converted to ALAC and synced to my two 160GB iPods. This is purely for listening to music in my car and sometimes on my headphones when I have no internet connection.

If Roon goes down the avenue of a backup/music locker that enables a mobile version of Roon then this would make life a whole lot simpler for me. No more iTunes library, converting formats or iPods.

To be able to play Roon from my iPhone/iPad to the car stereo would be amazing. Or the next level, a Roon app for CarPlay (or the Google version) right on your car stereo. This would be a revelation.

I use an app on my iDevices called Infuse. It was a complete paradigm shift for me, all of my DVD/Blu-Ray movie collection have now been ripped to hard drives on my MacPro/NAS and can be streamed to my AppleTV/iPhone/iPad anywhere in the home or outside of it. In fact I no longer purchase DVD/Blu-Rays only digital versions. You can sync your whole library to your cloud service and then stream outside of the home to your iDevices and the icing on the cake for me is that you can download movies to your iDevice so that you can watch them at your pleasure when you have no internet connection, which is pretty often in outback Australia. Once you have watched them they can be deleted from the iDevice and your original is still kept either in the cloud or on your own storage. The interface is wonderful on all your devices and it works really well (later this year a Mac version is coming out).

If Roon mobile worked this way it would radically change things for me.
iTunes Match costs me AUD34.99 a year. I would happily pay that for a Roon app that has the above functionality on top of my Roon subscription.

1 Like

Backblaze single system service is a great deal. It will cover the logged in user nicely but it shouldn’t be your only backup. Recovery from Backblaze is simple. They’ll send you a disk. Or a small RAID system if you have a lot of stuff. You return it after recovery for refund of the hardware deposit.

I have a Mac so naturally, I have a Time Machine backup going. Time Machine is organized by logged in user. The first user (admin) has a complete backup of the system stuff plus his stuff. Additional users just have their home trees saved.

I have needed my Time Machine archive once when a disk kicked in a Mac Mini. Glad I had it.

Backblaze is off-site security for me. We’re in hurricane country and tornadoes, especially during hurricanes, are not unknown. Having an off-site backup is good.

Keep in iCloud is an attempt at a distributed file system presenting a single file system view to a home Mac and a Laptop Mac. It is not a backup scheme. Time Machine fills that role.

I have a TrueNAS Core system running on home brew hardware (Xeon with ECC as recommended). It is going strong after 4 years. Shares there hold the music, videos, etc. But most visual assets are in Photos on the Mac internal disk. MacOS and Apps have a strong bias in this direction.

The TrueNAS system serves as a Time Machine spool volume. The RAIDZ2 (2 disk failure protection) replicates to an 8TB NAS grade disk also in the TrueNAS box. So I have 2 local backups and an off-site backup.

Most TrueNAS users keep 2 systems, a primary and a secondary. The primary replicates to the secondary. When they get the itch to build a second machine, it becomes primary and replicates from the retiring primary for initial fill which then becomes secondary. TrueNAS is very elegant and is a complete storage solution.

Agreed. I also have two physical backups of all my music, one on-site, one off-site. I rotate these about once a month.

Same here, and you probably already know this, but Time Machine does not create a reliable backup of the Roon database. I’m not sure why, but this has been mentioned quite a few times. I’m sure you also have numerous database backups, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

I think this would be fantastic to have as an option. Currently I have ROCK running on a Intel NUC, and another computer is set up to rsync into the music drive connected to the nuc, and copy to another drive. I know this isn’t a ‘backup’, but just preventing total loss of my music collection in case the source hard drive dies (which has happened before in the past). I have 4.5TB of music files.

As others have said, if there was an option to have mobile streaming of any quality via roon interface, that would be the cherry on top.

The Roon media and Roon database are on a TrueNAS RAIDZ2 pool backed up to a second single disk pool. Eventually, I’ll build a second server to be a full RAIDZ2 replication target. https://ixsystems.com/

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Help backing up database

I think the practicality and long-term monthly cost of backing up multi TB music files should be considered. I personally have a simple 2-disc NAS as backup, not only for music but for pictures and documents. A very decent 2-disc NAS setup with 6TB storage would cost me less than $700 new now where I live, so do I want to upload all my music files to the cloud and pay a monthly fee forever? To me, probably not. I have 3 copies of my music, one on computer that rips the CD, second on my NUC, and third on my NAS, but you are right, none of these are offsite storage from backup point of view, but for now, I “think” I am good.

It’d be nice if you could also just store the music files on the cloud and read them from there just like a network drive. Everything’s going to the cloud, why require the music files to be local?

Because from time to time it’s raining…

2 Likes

Exactly, unfortunately I feel like it’s always raining. :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

Integration with Jottacloud would be great if offered for free for those that already have a Jottacloud account. I remember @danny wasn’t so happy with Jottacloud as they didn’t comply with some standards I think.

https://www.jottacloud.com/en/

If I could move my whole Roon out as a cloud service, that may be interesting, if HQplayer embedded can be added as well. And of cause room correction.
I have no idea what would be the correct cost or if it would be a stable solution. Would it be fast enough ? Is it realistic to get it as low as $50 a year ? (Storage is additional). I guess not, based on prices shown here:

But this one seems much more cheaper. Maybe even possible to install ROCK now ? @danny Can you confirm it will work to install ROCK in the cloud ?

I like Roon to prioritize a mobile solution.

1 Like