Is there any interest in a music files backup solution?

TrueNAS Mini is really good for home file storage. I’ve 5 years on my home brew TrueNAS and use TrueNAS replication to backup the audio to a second pool in the server. I have a second server on order that will become my new main server. The incumbent will become a replication target for backup. This is one place where I will enthusiastically recommend pro gear.

Roon Core allows you to have multiple SMB music stores in addition to the music in the Roon Core filesystem. There is a settings option to show the location of the item being viewed. That is a good one to turn on as you can see whether you’re looking at an iTunes purchase, a local transfer, or a purchase from Qobuz or HD Tracks. Focus lets you filter your tracks or albums by location.

I’m not a fan of cloud backup other than the regular BackBlaze home host backup. That’s a reasonable $60/year for a single Mac or PC. This is a really good deal. Unfortunately, a small NAS cannot take advantage of this SOHO host service.

TrueNAS 12 lets you use cloud storage as a replication destination. Procedures and pricing are specific to each provider. Some providers check for copyright files which may make them inappropriate for storing licensed recordings.

Do run the cloud service vendor’s pricing model before committing to upload. I found it cost effective to put a large solo disk configured to replicate the shared pool. Since traffic is low, this can be non-RAID. But data is check summed so bit rot will be detected and reported.

I’d be interested in a backup solution from Roon. Meanwhile, can you please tell me how you use Backblaze to back up your music files? Is there a way to get the service to read files on ROCK/Nucleus directly? Or do you copy files manually to an intermediate drive attached to a Mac or PC?

1 Like

Jesse, I have a cloud backup strategy I’m pretty happy with. I can tag you if you want when I write it up?

It uses IDrive for cloud backup.

Please do, thanks!

I just tagged you.

1 Like

Would it be easier to maintain the status quo, and run a local Roon server on premise? Roon could then push content out to personal devices, opening firewall ports, etc.

I would be concerned, that for users like me utilising Roon for crossovers and room correction, a move away from local Roon server setups towards cloud solutions would bring unreliable DSP processing, or heavy bandwidth/delays on processing.

For me, I see no benefit in cloud storage of music files. This is what Spotify, Qobuz, and Tidal do very well already.

It would be my assumption that most younger users would be gravitating to streamed content anyway. I feel times have changed, I see no benefit in owning local content.

The shifting sands of licensing arrangements is one reason. It’s annoying when a streaming service drops an album you like. Another is if you ever spend longer periods of time off grid. Transfer to my beloved iPod classic is why I buy stuff mainly, all my (MP3 :wink: ) collection in a tiny box.

I just use idrive, but if this is also part of a mobile solution Roon should just integrate the subsonic streamer.
http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

1 Like

I went with the life-time version of Roon because I don’t like to add recurring monthly subscriptions. I’ve already got Qobuz and Tidal, Amazon Prime, and Apple for cloud back up. I’m okay with Roon adding new optional services that cost an incremental amount as long as there’s no change to the current user experience for folks that do not buy those incremental services. Also would be good if those options had life-time pricing options too.

As for pricing, with Roon being about $10 a month - almost the same price as Qobuz - I don’t think you could charge me much for a backup service. If I lost my music library, I would be crushed but the fall back would be to switch 100% to streaming. My music library is just over 6TB and resides on a USB drive connected to my Core and backed up on my home backup server. All new music that I’m listening to is streaming. I haven’t bought a CD or a digital download in years.

If cloud backup was coupled with being able to use Roon when mobile then that would entice me. I’m already paying Tidal and Qobuz and they provide me with a mobile experience but would be great if I had the same Roon experience everywhere. I think it’s worth about another 20% to Roon if it provided cloud backup AND mobile; about $2 a month.

For me, just backup alone would be worth less than an additional 5%; no more than $0.50. And then I’d always be worried that Roon would hike the price or disappear like Logitech. I’d still keep my own backup so I could discontinue the cloud backup at my discretion but having it in the cloud would be worth a small fee.

1 Like

Yes. However, I’m not sure if that’s @danny intention at the moment.

What is the real difference between a backup solution vs a personal cloud streaming service ?
(Given your line is good enough).

1 Like

How hard can it be to just point Roon directly to this service ? Why isn’t it an easy task ?

One thing I love about using Synology (or more generally, a server) as a Roon core is that this also runs the Backblaze B2 service. My local music library is stored on the Synology and B2 keeps copies of everything in the cloud. Ditto for the database (which is on an external SSD connected to the Synology.

2 Likes

There are also desktop versions of Backblaze. I use it to back up my 8TB music drive.

B2 and Backblaze Personal Backup are two different services, but your point is well taken - Backblaze is a great cloud backup solution all around!

2 Likes

My Roon library is only around 2TB. B2 is great, and it does not cost too much.

I would be interested in music file library backup, 3-4 TB. Depending on the services offered, $50-180 per year.

1 Like

@Stephan_DECHOUX1

As I recall, it was an “idea” being floated by Danny. Don’t know if it got much traction, or was just being discussed as a potential feature.

I’d be interested as well. For me, it’d have to be integrated with Roon OS and work straight from my core. Versioning with daily backups. I’d happily pay a small premium over solutions like Backblaze ($60/yr for 1TB), so probably around $70-90 (depending on overall functionality, level of integration).

2 Likes

I’d definitely be interested. I have an internal ssd in y nucleus and have no idea how to back that up. Should that drive fail…:exploding_head::sob: