Is Tidal in trouble?

:grinning: Agreed Koen, but besides prying eyes is arrogance and ignorance what I see at big companies like Spotify and Sonos for example.
The reason I turned my year subscription in a lifetime is of course Roon is superb software but the presence of the team in the fora.

1 Like

Don’t forget to honour Qobuz in this respect too :wink:

2 Likes

You just did :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In their mindsets - Apple is a hardware company the others are software companies. That is now shifting as they all want to own the whole landscape Apple hasn’t had to monetise as aggressively as the others if their hardware profits drop however…

Maybe Netflix could save Tidal…

Interesting thought. But then it would surely end up in the Netflix app and disappear from Roon, I guess.

That’s incorrect.
Apple makes money from selling devices. The others by selling what you do with their devices or platforms. That’s the only reason their devices or platforms exist.

1 Like

Apple is very clear in minute technical detail about what they can access. Much of your information is inaccessible even to them.

2 Likes

Do you have the new Nano that does MQA? Since 1.4 allows iOS devices to be a Roon endpoint I have read on darKo that you can get MQA through an iOS device this way.
Accessing Roon core while mobile would be really great.

I still pay for Pandora (and Apple Music and Tidal) because I find that Pandora still has the best streaming radio stations.

They do but it doesn’t sound as good as TIdal. Tidal’s radio function is terrible.

I’ve found Tidals radio to be ok and same with Apple Music but neither as good as Pandora… I Tidals to play after I have chosen an album to play and let it follow that.
I mostly use Pandora in the car and on two stereo paired Sonos One speakers in the bedroom. Sometimes at work. The paid version uses 192 aac so it’s not awful but 256k would be better.
I do really like Tidal so it would be bad to see it go. I would replace it in roon with iTunes music and flac files in my NAS and will be fine except no streaming service in Roon.

I have no idea of Tidal is ‘in trouble’ or not but they’re offering 3 free months of Tidal HiFi for new users through Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/tidal-music-streaming-3?utm_campaign=1029&utm_medium=afl&utm_source=GPN&tsToken=US_AFF_0_1029_1327_0&sid=f88255c0e4be11e79d4f9edbf881296a0INT

Seems like they’re trying to get their subscriber numbers up fast. Maybe to be more attractive to potential buyers?

Interestingly and ironically, this is what Jay-Z sued the original sellers about. He claims the subscriber numbers he was given were inflated.

Tidal are also doing apps for Apple TV an Android TV.

1 Like

With all the talk about Google and Apple in this thread, i recommend the book “The Four” by Scott Galloway

It would also be nice if the app would be compatible with Android Auto.

1 Like

Two things:
First, Tidal received $200 million from Sprint for 1/3 of the company.
Second, Pandora and Spotify somehow have been operating at a loss for years, I’m not sure how, but they accomplish that, but both of those services aren’t in the news as a result.

Funny thing is, when it comes to music, sharing your listening habits is actually where we all benefit from sharing this data. And Google, so far, has proven the best at recommending, creating and maintaining automagic playlists that continue to get better with use.

Pandora is a close second. Apple music tends to sound exactly like Tidal, and Spotify. Which makes me think they all use the same Gracenote-esque backend. When it comes to pure music discovery capabilities, you’re missing out if you haven’t tried GPM for a free month.

1 Like

I liked GPM when I used it for on the move listening for this reason and that you could intergrate your own music for free. Shame it was a pain to listen to it any other way than on my phone.

Spotify has major investment from major labels, they will ensure it wont fail, it’s practically saved the industry . Probably wait for it to loose enough so they can buy it cheap and take it a!l over so they can control it all again.