Is Tidal in trouble?

It seems there’s a bit of desperation to lure people to join in even without using credit card!

http://www.tidal.com

Would Roon be able to enter talks with YouTube? They are plenty of rumours of them planning a subscription service for music in 2018. If roon could provide a way for them to stream to HiFi equipment this might be a win-win for both companies?

Receive this in my inbox today. :slight_smile:

Must have been before the full desktop client was released.
It’s perfectly integrated as standalone software now.

Nope none of my audio kit supports it, I don’t have windows or Mac machines for music. I used the squeezebox plugin when I used Lms but it was too buggy so gave up with it. And my pi’s are using Ropiee so won’t be any use to me now and had picoreplayer before that. Not sure it would work for either of those

Well. If shit hits the fan, all Roon users can open a unlimited yearly $100 Jottacloud account and we all share our ripped music with each other. I claim it’s leagal according to Norwegian law.
And servers located in Norway, so uncle Sam can’t screw it up.

Also if we do that would lay some pressure on the music industry to keep Tidal one way or another. And hopefully Roon will add Jottacloud support.

We Roon users don’t necessarily need Tidal app, we need access to Tidal red book and hi res music.

And remember soon, well sometime in the future you can throw your RoonServer away, as that one will be cloud based as well. Official on Roon roadmap.

Another technical feasibility is to use what whatever streaming service supported one way or another. It can even be mp3. It can be Radio, and Roon just use Zhasam technology ( Which is license from an other company, so Apple no problem), and then “convert” the stream to hi-res.
That is if Roon can get access to a similar library as Tidal.

They may not need to spend money on maintenance the Tidal app as an example.
Cause the users use Spotify or radio, or his mp3 file.

This is possible, and may very vel happen.

When I tried out Roon about a year ago, what caught my attention was the ability to connect different hardware devices together in the same “audio network”. I had already tried Tidal out, and since I subscribe to both Sporify and Deezer, I do not feel that Tidal adds anything, although the integration into Roon was nice. Since then I have closely followed the development since I feel that although Roon brings many features, there is still some bits missing before I sign up for a lifetime subscription.

One thing that I actually was looking for was the ability to play whatever I want. This function is the missing link in most of the streaming systems I have looked at. What would be nice is if you could install a bridge on you computer that would act as a audio device that enables you to stream what is playing on your computer through Roon. Even though I perfectly well know that this is much easier said than done, it is not impossible. I do not see why Roon, Bluesound or Sonos couldn’t implement this.

The answer is properly the same as other in this thread have pointed out that everyone wants you to use there application to play music, to be able to collect usage data. Both hardware and software/cloud manufacturers/service providers. However, an alternative “input” method into Roon could solve this problem.

One thing I sometimes wonder about is if there is some kind of restraints from Tidal here. Most likely, Tidal has not agreed to the Roon integration because they are “kind at heart”, this is another way for them to expand their base for data collection. So maybe they have implemented some kind of restraints in the agreement with Roon of implementing other services of ways to play music through Roon?

1 Like

Do you mean like if you play YouTube or Spotify on your PC, that stream should go to RoonServer ?
If so what is then Roon’s part ?

I guess you understand how to use Roon Brigde, and know what it’s doing ?

Sonos and Bluesound can do this: line-in on the Sonos Connect and on Bluesound Node, Powernode, Vault and other BluOS enabled devices.

What Roon brings is the ability to send the stream to multiple devices of different kinds/manufacturer, or have I misunderstood something here?

Do you mean that if I have Roon Bridge installed on my computer in the living room I could “publish” that stream through Roon to my Bluesound speaker in the kitchen or/and to the Sonos in my bedroom and/or the Rasberry in my garage? Separate or all at once?

Yes, one could do that, but there is two major difference there. First, you have to do some unnecessary conversion; you play a digital file on your computer that you process though your sound card to get it to an analog signal, which you plug into your streaming device that will convert the analog signal to digital again. In this day of age, when both your streaming devices and your computer is connected to a high-speed network, you should be able to do this via the network, and keep the signal digital all the way. Second, you still have to have the same system all around. Many with me have different player/manufactures based on the application.

I guess that I wanted to point out that besides being a great system for organizing your local music library and the integration with Tidal, one feature that I find great is the “gateway/router” ability to connect devices from different vendors into the same network. What feature is important differs from user to user.

It is apparent that streaming services are reluctant to integrate with other systems, they may be the solution is to look for ways around that. If you cannot reach 100% integration goal, then it may be that 90 or even 80% of the way is better then 0%.

The integration of soundflower (on MAC), ASLA (linux) or equivalent for Win systems into Roon as input source would be a piece of cake for the skilled programers of Roon. The great advantage for Roon users would be that they could reach their endpoints (preferably RAAT) with any source, could use their DSP settings in Roon, e.g. room correction FIR, equalizing, headphone listening processing etc. The idea has been requested in more than one other thread already, but Roon so far have refused to implement it. For me as user this would be the most significant extension for my setup. So far I still need to go through alternative endpoints to my speaker system, like Airplay, Chromecast audio, with its compromises on audio quality. It‘s a pity!

5 Likes

It seems like Soundflower is a dead project.
https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/
(Or you can encourage the developer to start working for Roon😀)

How is your setup, since you like to have this feature ?

I have Roon core installed on a Mac Mini with fusion drive. Works great, no need for any other specific core. As endpoint I currently use a RPi with Digi+ board as RAAT to feed my Devialet Phantoms with an optical signal. Still waiting for Devialet to add RAAT to the Phantoms and/or Dialog. Outside of the Roon (RAAT) universe I use a few ATVs or a Chromecast Audio to feed my other audio setups (old style Hifi Rack and B&W 802 speakers, B&W Zeppelin, TV system with ATV). For Qobuz streaming I use Spark from Devialet unfortunately without the HAF filters I use with Roon or I stream through the Airplay route. For Napster streaming I use mainly the Chromcast Audio route. All is controlled with IPads or IPhones that are laying around.
The soundflower development might be dead, respectively is further developed in Rogue Amoeba products, as far as I can recall. https://www.rogueamoeba.com
Another way could be to plug directly into Apple‘s AU (Audio Unit). There are plenty of programs that use Soundflower to capture the Mac audio output for further processing, recording or streaming. So, why not Roon also? My setup would greatly benefit from such an integration and I could finally use Qobuz hires streaming with HAF filters on my main system (Devialet Phantoms Gold).

I think you are forgetting that The RoonCore is not nessarily on the same computer you want to capture the sound output from.
So you have a scenario where your endpoint want to capture and send the output first to the RoonCore and then to other zones in the group. That is not trivial especially with video like YouTube where you want the sound in sync with the video on several zones.
It don’t sound easy to me. And cannot really think of a killer use case.

Roon can start with this first. Audio outputs of Any app running on Core can be sent to Roon endpoints in highest SQ possible. Why not?
What you propose that audio outputs of Roon remotes or from endpoints are streamed back to the core and then distributed to zones, endpoints etc. can follow as a later v2 implementation. Nothing different than what Devialet’s Spark with Phantoms and Dialog is already doing. Can‘t be that difficult for Roon when Devialet that is considered by many on this and the Devialetchat forum as being terrible in software implementation compared to the Roon guys accomplished this :blush:?
Any audiostream that is fed into any of the Devialet Phantoms is fed back to the Dialog and then streamed to the n Zones that are formed by m Phantoms. Works flawlessly there with channel delays of less than 20us (not the overall delay that is much longer, but less relevant for audio reproduction) therefore not audible and in perfect sync. As a side note, I‘m not sure if RAAT performs equally well.

Pause for thought

I can’t believe my last post has resulted in no comments. If it had been Tidal facing a lawsuit I’m sure the ‘We’re all doomed’ posts would have followed.
But it’s OK.

2 Likes

Or. As it’s a Tidal thread no one was perturbed? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They better get that IPO moving !!