Issue connecting to Roon Server when adding music folders containing FLAC files (ref#5HH04X)

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

· Something else

Describe the issue

I have been having problems connecting to Roon Server since updating versions today.
This is the case even when trying to connect directly from the Mac Mini that serves as my Core/Server. After numerous attempts at restarting and/or reinstalling Roon (including after deleting the old version), I seem to have isolated the problem to when I add folders off my own music.

I can get a newly downloaded and installed version of Roon to run (with no music added). Then I can add my streaming service (Qobuz) and get that to run. But when I try to add a folder from my external hard drive containing my own music files (the same folder and hard drive that I have always used with Roon), I immediately lose connection with Roon Server and it never comes back.

I have tried moving some files off the external hard drive to the Mac Mini desktop and adding them directly from there, but I get the same connection issues as soon as I try to add them. Did the new update change the security settings for library folders? (If it matters, the firewall is off on the Mac Mini running Roon Server.)

EDIT: Oddly, I was able to successfully add a folder containing DSD (.dsf) files, another containing MP3 (.mp3) files, and another containing ALAC (.m4a) files. But trying to add any folder containing FLAC (.flac) files causes the connection to Roon Server to drop. Unfortunately for me, 90% of my music files are FLAC files.

Describe your network setup

Router, Modem, Switch, Mesh Network. But the inability to connect to Roon Server after adding a folder occurs even on the Mac Mini running Roon Server. Thus, I assume the problem is not network-related.

Hello @JDINMD ,

Thanks for reaching out. I activated diagnostics mode for your account and I am looking over your account error logs. I notice that Roon is crashing when scanning the following files:

07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/05. I Want to Spend the Night.m4a
07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/03. Ain't No Sunshine.m4a
07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/10. Who Is He What Is He to You.m4a
07/18 21:14:55 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/10. Who Is He What Is He to You.m4a': UnsupportedFormat
07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/08. Grandma's Hands.m4a
07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/01. Just the Two of Us.m4a
07/18 21:14:55 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /Users/j...o/Desktop/Bill Withers - Greatest Hits (2016 MFSL – UDSACD 2155, SACD Hybrid, CD Layer, Remastered) (FLAC)/10. Who Is He What Is He to You.flac

I would try to move these files out of your Roon watched folders and check to see if it helps. If it does help solve the issue, please do not delete the files, as I would like to ask our QA department to try to reproduce the issue in-house.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried moving those files out of my watched folders and it did help. The problem is that it is happening with all FLAC files. Just to be sure, I converted the files in the error log to ALAC files, added those to the watched folder, and didn’t lose connection with Roon Server. I also tried converting an ALAC file that had worked to FLAC, and the FLAC version immediately caused the problem. It’s obviously something related to FLAC files, which is weird because I had been playing them via Roon for years (until the latest update).

My research on the Forum led me to believe that perhaps I was missing a codec for FLAC files (even though my understanding is that Macs don’t need codecs). In an effort to troubleshoot, I download the FFMPEG file, but I can’t figure out where to put it. Let me know if you think I was on the right track.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi @JDINMD ,

Thanks for letting me know. There have been a few other similar reports in the meantime, we released a hotfix to address this issue. If you are still crashing, please try to manually install the hotfix:

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.