Issue ez-33: roon core is the latest version, yet the Metadata Improver says a roon update is required

roon core is the latest version, yet the Metadata Improver says a roon update is required

See this screenshot where the “Adding Music To Library” says that the Metadata Improver has been halted because roon needs an update. Note the About page is being shown in the background indicating that roon is up to date.

Also observed: the “adding music” spinner never stops spinning and the status message does not change.

Hi @ezman,

Any change after a reboot? Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?

I saw it last week a few times. At least once, there was a red caution symbol (red triangle with a red exclamation point inside) at the top right section of the album browser where the spinner normally goes when scanning.

It’s been sporadic. Scanning is working correctly right now.

Hi @ezman,

What is your network setup like and what OS is the Core running? Is the Core plugged in directly to the router or is it going through other networking gear such as a switch/range extender/powerline adapter?

A post was split to a new topic: Metadata Improver Error - Rebooting Solved Issue

@noris

I first saw this problem on my Windows 8 NUC PC after updating the roon core in the last week or two.

The network configuration is

Windows 8 NUC ->TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 router -> (~10' wifi bridge) -> identical TP-Link router -> cat6 wired -> Netgear R6400 router -> cable gateway

Hi @ezman,

At this time we believe that this issue occurs when there is packet fragmentation when trying to communicate with our metadata servers.

If you try to temporarily connect your NUC to the primary router instead and reboot it, does that trigger any change in behavior?

@noris,

This doesn’t make sense to me. Packet fragmentation is a perfectly normal part of IP transmission and shouldn’t affect an application at the top of the OSI stack unless packet reconstruction or reordering causes significant timeouts.

The PC NIC MTU is 1500.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
  1500                1  49341173499  5715764491  Ethernet

The two Archer routers are running wifi in 801.11 b/g/n mixed mode, which should accommodate packet sizes up to around 2304 bytes. (This is new info to me, so thanks for the learning opportunity.)

The MTU of the Netgear router interfacing to the WAN is also 1500 bytes. So there is no packet fragmentation internal to my network.

The problem is intermittent, so moving the PC to a place where I can connect it directly to the wired network wouldn’t be conclusive.To help me decide if I’m going to move it and try to reproduce the problem, can you tell me if you are actually seeing network timeouts in my rooncore logs?

Thanks,
- Eric

Hi @ezman,

Thanks for the information, I will bring it up with QA.

Can you let me know the exact local time + date you see this message and send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions after you see it occur again?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.