Issue with Streaming over Cellular Using ARC on iPhone (ref#A1W4DE)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

· Other

Describe the issue

I'm not able to stream anything using ARC on my iPhone. The Roon app on my MacBook says that Roon ARC is ready, and I can stream to ARC on my iPhone when I'm home and on the same Wifi or on cellular. And it works fine when I've picked "original format" or "balanced" But as soon as I'm out of the house, I can't stream over cellular, even with a strong 5G signal, even with "balanced" playback selected. I'm pretty sure I've set everything up correctly.

Describe your network setup

Verizon Fios with a Verizon Model G3100 router.

Delete the Roon ARC app from your iPhone and reinstall. That’s what I had to do.

I should also mention that I have also have Plex Amp installed on my iPhone, using the same library (local library on my MacBook) and I have no problem streaming using that app when on the go.

I uninstalled the ARC app and reinstalled. I did a bit more experimenting and found that I could sometimes get ARC to connect when I’m on my home wifi (the same network as my Roon server.) However, on cellular (even at home) it will not connect.

Thank you for the reply. I do understand that Plex Amp is quite different. Just wanting to point out that another amp seems to be able to connect via cellular to the same music library without issue.

Roon Arc no longer works for me. Won’t connect over WIFI or cellular.

EDIT: I checked my Windows Defender firewall and found multiple entries for Roon and RAAT, etc. A couple of them were not active so I edited them and got Roon ARC working again. I don’t know what creates so many and dare not delete any of them not knowing.

Hi @Paul_Wells1,

Thank you for your post. The “Ready” diagnostic in Roon Settings → ARC indicates that the port is open to RoonServer from our external servers. You’re likely not encountering an external, unresolvable factor here, but rather something in the security profile of the router that is filtering/throttling that open port.

The first thing I would try is to uninstall ARC completely, restart RoonServer, then install ARC and go through the onboarding on WiFi once more. I know it’s tedious, but it will completely reset any cached information and give us a starting connection for troubleshooting.

The next step I’d try, temporarily, is to see if you can connect via cellular at home by disabling the phone’s WiFi after setting the G3100 Security profile to “Low”. If so, then we know that it’s the Verizon router filtering out the connection here. You can change it back to Medium, High, etc. after this test.

Some users, anecdotally, have worked around this by creating a manual port forwarding rule in the G3100. See this post for instructions, but please disregard this particular user’s step about the static IP address (it’s not relevant here). FIOS Router G3100 Port Forwarding Instructions (single-router setup)

We’ll follow up from there.