Issue with streaming Roon on Linux and unable to use Android app on Waydroid or Ropieee/roon-in-flatpak (ref#U9P92N)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Installation or Setup

Description of Issue

My trial is going well, I’ve got the server up and running and it’s streaming well to a bunch Bluesound speakers, Roon ARC when I’m out and my NAD Masters HiFi.

I do have one issue thought. I listen to a lot of music while working and my laptop is running Linux. I’ve been all over the forums, spent hours trying to get audio to work on Waydroid so I could use the Android app on Linux. Also spent a lot of time trying to get Ropieee/roon-in-flatpak to build and work but no luck. I really don’t want to install Wine. There are no Windows or Mac computer in the house so I’m using phones and tablets for everything. I’ve run out of ideas at this point.

Roon Server Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Server Type

Synology

Roon Server Specifications

DS923+, 8Gb RAM and only SSD drives, no spinning drives.

Connected Audio Devices

Various Bluesound speakers, NAD hifi. Most of it is wired to my home network but some of the speakers are on wifi.

Home Network Details

Roon server is connect by wired 1Gb ethernet. Netgear Orbi mesh network, wired backbone.

I have two questions really;

Is there anything I’ve missed that would let me listen to and control roon from my Linux laptop?

Are there any plans to make a dedicated Linux app?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Wine is not Windows – using Wine won’t hurt your system more than using Waydroid IMHO.
To control Roon playback you need a working Control. This could be the Windows version running on Wine or the Android version running on Waydroid or an Android tablet/phone or the iOS version running on an iOS tablet/phone. To be able to listen to music via Roon on your laptop you may have to install Roon Bridge natively on Linux though (Wine may or may not work as for audio). If Roon Bridge gives you trouble you may have to try and use an Roon Server installation instead. You may currently not be able to log into a fresh installation of Roon using either Wine or Waydroid and have to resort to a supported Roon client installation for that purpose. Resources:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=waydroid

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=roon%20on%20wine%20order%3Alatest

Suggestion:

1. Install Roon Bridge on your laptop so that it can serve as a Roon endpoint, USB to your DAC
  2. Control play from your phone

@BlackJack and @Fernando_Pereira
Thanks for the suggestions. Somehow I didn’t consider installing Roon bridge on my laptop, I’ll give that a go. I’ve spent more time with Waydroid, still no audio and also realised it’s not scrolling either which makes it useless. If Roon Bridge works I might just get a cheap fire table to use as a control.

To let you know what I ended up with. I got RoonBridge running on my laptop and that’s working well as an endpoint. I’m then controlling it with my phone. It’s quite annoying having to grab my phone just to pause the music but it’ll do for now, I can’t figure anything else out. My trial has come to an end and I’ve got myself a lifetime sub so hoping for a long future with roon and looking forward to new features. Maybe I’ll be surprised and a proper remote for Linux will come out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.