iTunes Star Ratings

Can Roon import the iTunes Star ratings? I make heavy use of iTunes Star ratings and I would like those ratings to be imported into Roon. I am evaluating Roon and I have not been able to accomplish this or at least it is not obvious if it is supported. It actually appears as though I have to re-rate all my tracks/albums that I import from iTunes into Roon. Given the time and effort I spent rating my music (over the years) that could be a deal breaker for me. Thanks.

4 Likes

Hey James,

Right now, albums are rated 1-5 stars in Room, but rating of tracks is just done using the Favorite feature (meaning it can Favorite, or Ban, or neither).

Weā€™ve heard feedback and requests for this in the past, but we havenā€™t made any commitments about whether Roon might include more granular track ratings in the future.

For now, I think you should able to set up a few playlists in iTunes for 1 star tracks, 2 star tracks, and so on. This should only take a few minutes, and then Roon can import all your previous ratings using our iTunes integration.

If youā€™re going to continue rating tracks in Roon, you might also considering using our Tags feature. Once you tag all the tracks in your 5 star playlist, you can easily browse them in the tracks browser. You could also focus on the tag in the Albums browser to find ā€œAlbums which contain 5 star tracksā€ or the Artist browser to find ā€œArtists that have 5 star tracksā€.

All of the above should just take a couple of minutes to get setup in Roon, so let us know if you have any questions or need more detailed instructions. Thanks!

Thereā€™s this thread - Track and Album ratings - and conflicts

And this one - Hotkey to heart a song :)

And this one - Custom track ratings

Andā€¦
Just search for ā€˜track ratingsā€™ and youā€™ll find plenty of people asking for significant work / improvement to be put into this area.

1 Like

I agree with James_Dean completely I have 89,000 songs in my iTunes/Roon database and using any of the suggested workarounds is still an extremely time consuming task. Please give serious consideration to importing the iTunes star ratings. Thanks

2 Likes

More then four years on I am faced with the same issue. Has really nothing been done about this? Canā€™t even find a hint of a response from Roon product development anywhere here. Great disappintment on my side

1 Like