Jaggy scroll on Macbook Pro 16" i9

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Macbook Pro i9 16GB 1TB
macOS Catalina 10.15.2
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB & AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
Using Roon as remote

Description Of Issue

Srcoll is super bad. Very jaggy… terrible for the video and computing power my new MacBook 16" has.

• On the Intel UHD Graphics 630 it’s super bad.
  • On the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M it’s a little less bad, but far from good…

Note

The rest of the UI is very fast. Opening an album is almost instant for example.

Hi @jmvdv,

Are you running any other resource-intensive apps in the background when this behavior occurs?
Does the same behavior occur even when there is no music playing to any of your zones?

Hello @noris,

No only Roon

Yes always

Hi @jmvdv,

Would it be possible for you to record a short video of this behavior and upload it to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and post a link here?

Does this behavior only occur on the Core or on all of your Roon Remotes/Clients as well?

I’ve sent a screencast via private message.

Hi @jmvdv,

Thanks for sharing the video, I see now what you mean by the scroll behavior. Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily try using a fresh database with Roon?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Hello @noris,

1. Removed all Roon related settings from the MacBook Pro.
    Result: no improvement.

2. Backed up Roon on my NUC, removed everything related to Roon and reinstalled using the Linux install script. Restored the backup.
    Result: no improvement (but took a long time…)

Hi @jmvdv,

Just to confirm, did you use the same instructions as above to completely set your old Roon Client install aside?

If you did, can you please try installing Intel Power Gadget and share some screenshots of the GFX Frequency line when this issue is occurring. The screenshot would look like this:

A post was split to a new topic: Roon laggy on Macbook Pro

Yes

You can see the peak in the middle when scrolling, but there isn’t a lot happening.

Hi @jmvdv,

Thanks for the screenshot. I have a few follow-up questions, the same as in the other thread:

• How are you physically performing the scrolling, are you using the internal trackpad or do you have a mouse attached to the PC?

• What is your current screen resolution and scaling info?

• Are you using the internal Macbook display or an external monitor?

• Does the same behavior occur if you temporarily connect an external monitor and have Roon open on it?

Internal trackpad

Default for display

Internal screen

I don’t have an external display.

It seems like it’s an issue with the graphics card / driver. Just like the issue with my 2009 iMac 27”

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/interface-really-dark-since-build-1-7-511-on-macos-high-sierra/88968/1

Hi Julius (@jmvdv),

Thanks for the additional information, I have added it to your case notes. We will attempt to reproduce this behavior in-house.

1 Like

Hi Julius (@jmvdv),

We are still looking into this issue, has there by any chance been a chance in behavior since installing build 521?

If the behavior is the same, I was hoping that you could reproduce this issue, note the exact local time + date you reproduce at and send a log package from the affected machine?

Thanks!

Hi @noris, unfortunately there is no change.

Hi @jmvdv,

Thanks for confirming the behavior is still the same, can I please request that you reproduce once more, let me know the timestamps and upload a log-set from the affected machine? Thank you.

@noris sent you the logs via PM.

The whole interface slows when Roon is started, when I shutdown Roon is goes back to normal. Can’t see anything strange in the Activity Viewer.

1 Like

Thanks for sending the new log-set Julius, I attached it to your case.

1 Like

Seems to be fixed in the latest release! Yay!

1 Like