Just announced: Brooklyn Bridge II ROON

With that streamer, could I use Roon outside the house? Thanks

I agree, this has all gotten too complex and there is a significant risk with these integrated devices and all their dependencies on software updates and support. I would rather stick to stand alone devices, which is why I am happy with my Nucleus+, and in the main room I have a separate streamer (ultraRendu) with a Brooklyn DAC+, and then I have Sonos throughout the rest of the house.

I for one am quite interested in the way have implemented the new Dacs. A few of the things I have used to improve my current setup of a Mytek Liberty fed by PC are (with perceived improvement in brackets) : A better USB cable (small) an external LPS (large). Feeding my computer with an LPS (large) a usb regenerator (smallish). OS going to Audiolinux (huge) upgrading my 2012 Mac mini to an I7 nuc (significant change but not huge improvement). Adding a decent switch to the chain (small).

One thing everyone bangs on about that was a real failā€¦ Using the new pc as the server and Mac mini as an endpoint (with the endpoint on lps) was a big step back than just running server on either machine stand alone.

Each change I have assessed back and forwards and done as much listening test and as close to AB testing as possible, which is impossible to do in digital audio unfortunately as it often requires a reboot. But Iā€™ll always switch back and forth numerous times to confirm. (I also had an Ultra rendu in the chain for a while, liked the tone but eventually removed it when I pinpointed it as the culprit of treble distortion, but thatā€™s another story.)

The point Iā€™m making is having all this in one box there is a very significant improvement in sound that can be acquired. If you have the pc on board, run custom software to minimise processing and latency etc, feed the pc with high quality power, galvanically isolate the connection to the dac and have it ultra short, isolate the pc chip with the faraday cage as they do, you then eliminate power running on the usb bus as well. There is A LOT of stuff you can dial in. The go to great lengths to describe the system on the Empire but much less so on all the other incarnations. Iā€™d love to get some more info on the internal workings of the other unitsā€¦

And a huge disadvantage on large libraries.

Jack of all trades, and a master of nothing.
Not a good scenario.

I donā€™t have a library personally. I pretty much stream everything on Tidal. Regardless if you have a HUGE library you can just use usb external storage. The Empire has a 7gig (I think it was) onboard storage.

SSD are so fast these days it shouldnā€™t be an issue.

The ssd isnā€™t the problem, itā€™s processing power, memory, and the core.

Regardless, only an issue if you have a large library.

The database library is comprised of any files (streaming or local) that are added to your library.
Library does not mean just local files. Tidal tracks you have added to your library count as much as local tracks in your library in terms of stress on the database.

So, if you had 90k Tidal tracks in your library and no local files, or 90k local files and no streaming files; both scenarios have the same processing speed, memory, and database disk speed needs.

While that is an interesting pointā€¦ Itā€™s also kinda irrelevant. Why would you add 90k Tidal tracks to your library? You might make a few play lists, but you just search on demand for the most part.

I donā€™t work like that with Tidal. If itā€™s something I would have bought, I add it to my library.

Use case is only relevant to the user. Iā€™m not dismissing the potential for an issue for said user. Iā€™m initially raising the point there are many reasons why there would be huge advantages having it all in one.

We then move into the next part which is what is important to different people (again only really relevant to the individual). If I had the option of removing the PC at the gain of much better sound quality (theoretical) but at the loss of loading nearly 100k tracks into Roon then guess what my choice would be? Everything in life is a big negotiation and decision between whatā€™s possible and whatā€™s important to you.

Iā€™m selling my Brooklyn Bridge on head-fi if anyone is interested. Great piece of kit. No issues. Just looking to try new gear. Mytek Brooklyn bridge with sbooster and dual xlr cables | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Roon endpoint (ethernet port) of BB is limited to DSD64. Anybody have any information regarding BB II ? I wish it that could be increased to DSD256 or at least DSD128.
Already asked them and hasnā€™t received any response.

Is the Bridge II shipping yet? A Google search is still just showing me the ā€˜Coming in Juneā€™ press releases and nothing of note since.

Headamp.com has it listed as preorder with late-2021 expected date.

1 Like

Nice catch. Mytek should update their Brooklyn Bridge II pre-order page. It still says ā€˜Summer 2021ā€™.

1 Like

Agreed. The only reason I caught this is Iā€™ve had my eye on the BB II since it was announced.

Iā€™m betting Mytek isnā€™t sure when theyā€™ll be able to ship this model, and Headamp is just shooting in the dark. The fact that July came and went (I thought Mytek had July shipping listed on their site at one time) without a peep from Mytek does not inspire confidence.

1 Like

Mytek finally updated their product page w/ ā€œShipping in December 2021ā€ā€¦ so thatā€™s something I suppose. Hopefully we start seeing some in-depth reviews. $3,495 is a big ask, especially considering the OG Brooklyn Bridge debacle and Manhattan ii resale prices.

1 Like

That must have just happened. Iā€™m still mulling over the upgrade offer but this ā€˜two companies at warā€™ business puts me off.

1 Like