KEF LS50 wireless, firmware 2.6, January 2023, not seen by Nucleus

Hi Wes. I am simply delighted to hear from you and thrilled that your logs show the KEFs being acquired. Maybe we can fix this!! One correction, perhaps: the KEFs are not at 192.168.1.x The KEFs are at 192.168.4.54 according to my Eero app, which shows the IP of every wireless device on the network. All my wireless devices are 192.168.4.x The only thing that is 192.168.1.x are the router itself, the Nucleus, and my desktop if I have it plugged into one of my ethernet ports.

Somebody told me how to find the “submit a support ticket” so I went there and submitted a ticket; but I will happily repeat the details below here.

First, however, I think I may have stumbled upon the problem: I noticed that the Roon showed up on my desktop as if it were an external drive, perhaps because I had initially wired it through an AirPortExtreme that I had reconfigured years ago as a bridge in an effort to get a reluctant printer to appear on the network. I plugged the Nucleus in there because the Roon app on my desktop could not find the Nucleus. [I have since discovered that the Roon app can only find the Nucleus if the app is installed on a wireless device. The Roon app cannot find the Nucleus if the Roon app is on a computer directly wired into an ethernet port. That may be worth noting…] In my own efforts at problem-solving, I subsequently moved the Nucleus to another room and plugged it directly into an ethernet port there (I have ports in every major room in this house.)

Having found this bizarre situation on my desktop, I “ejected” the Nucleus and then hard-booted the Nucleus & closed the app. But when I re-opened the app the Nucleus was still subordinated within my desktop Mac (screenshot 442pm below). So I rebooted the Mac desktop. After that reboot, the Nucleus no longer showed up on the Audio page as subordinated to the desktop Mac (screenshot s"after ejecting" 7pm and “about page” 7pm). I wonder if the Nucleus now needs some hard reset, the kind that used to require a bent paperclip wedged into some nearly invisible little hole. Failing that I might annoint it with good scotch & wait until morning, because I have spent the whole blessed day tinkering with this and reading posts from community members.

Meanwhile, the info you requested.
(1) Core is on a Roon Nucleus, newly purchased, latest OS, IP 192.168.1.129. Desktop & laptop Macs & iPhone are all at IP 192.168.4.XXX
(2) Main router is ZyXEL10843, default IP192.168.1.1 No VPN. Wireless upload and download speeds are both about 250MBPS; wired up & down are about 950MBPS. Wireless is Eero; there is a node in line-of-sight to the KEFs; antivirus on computers is Malwarebytes.
(3) audio devices I am trying to connect: KEF Wirelesss II LS50 to be connected wirelessly; Audioengine model A2 via Firefly plugged into the headphone jack on the desktop Mac (the Firefly light is green, by the way…).
(4) I have no idea how many tracks are in my library, but there are 235 albums. My only library is newly-digitized CDs sitting on a SSD plugged into the Nucleus via USB cable. I can see that there are titles in my library on the Roon app, but I have never looked at any of them because I have been struggling to get my speakers acquired by the Roon Nucleus. Eventually I want to move these files onto the SSD inside the Nucleus, but I have never seen any instructions anywhere about how to do that.
(5) PROBLEM: as you already understand, I can’t get my new KEF speakers recognize by the Nucleus. And now that I have ejected the Nucleus & rebooted my desktop, the Nucleus can no longer see the speakers I have attached to my desktop via Firefly. They had been playing when the Nucleus was operating as an external drive attached to my desktop. (And wow, they did sound remarkably better!!).

One other thing: I’m 72, & the author of many books, & I have been managing all my own IT single-handed since I bought my first 8088 IBM PC in 1983, when I had to argue fiercely to get 256k of memory installed in the machine I was buying. The saleman insisted to me in quite condescending terms that no computer would ever be able to use that much memory. So I’m not a complete idiot. And I am a serious audiophile in the process of very unhappily replacing a legacy system worth exponentially more than these little KEFs: serious downsizing is on my near horizon. I won’t have space for my beloved floor speakers (which are 40-some inches tall) nor for all of my CD jewel cases. So please bear in mind that I do not know the jargon of music streaming. I am articulate, rigorous, and thorough, and I’ve done some serious reading recently; but that is quite different from knowing what I am doing. I don’t. I have a scholar’s warm respect for the expertise of others, and I need help here. I was attracted to the Nucleus because Roon makes an articulate & persuasive argument for centralizing music management on a Nucleus. The marketing materials presents Roon as audiophiles in search of real IT elegance, and I have enough engineers among my children to desire & value that solidity. And to appreciate the hard work and clever thinking such elegance demands in any field. So I hope we can get my system going & put this unpleasantness behind us. But at the moment I am quite dismayed. Perhaps I should pour myself some of that scotch and never mind annointing the Nucleus. Cate

2 Likes