KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

No, because this would mean you need to have a seperate upnp server running within your network. The rendu is also connected to your network, then picks up that stream and sends it to its usb ports which then is connected to your dac.

You have a pi for your ls50 w. Your pi is probably running roon bridge and is connected by wire (usb, toslink) to the ls50w. The pi acts as a roon endpoint in your network, so you can stream your music from Roon to the pi, which sends the audio stream to the usb/toslink of ls50w.

However, the rendu has a seperate software application called ’ SonoreUPNP bridge’. If you start this app, it sees the ls50 w in your network and makes it avialable in Roon as a zone you can stream audio to. Then you can stream directly from Roon to the ls50w via your network and you don’t need the pi anymore.

The SonoreuPNP bridge application supports PCM up to 192 Khz (so that matches the ls50w perfectly) and supports dsd64 via DOP and dsd128 (converted to pcm)

By the way, I do not use a microrendu or sonicorbiterSE. I have a SonicTransporter that can run run both Roon core AND Sonore UPNP bridge. Saves me a lot of money because I don’t need to buy a Roon server AND an ethernet bridge (like the rendu) and a good USB cable. But if you already have a Roon server and a Microrendu or Sonicorbiter it seems to me you can use the UPNP bridge application on iit if you want to play music from Roon to your ls50w without the need of yet another wire to it :grin:

And lets now wait for the firmware upgrade of our ls50w that makes it a native roon endpoint …:slight_smile:

2 Likes