Kernel Panic, RoonAppliance

@beka just posted this recently for a different issue:

it’s worth reading.

As for RoonAppliance, that’s just Roon – all the other Roon stuff are helpers. RoonAppliance is “the Roon Core”.

If you are getting kernel panics, the question is what is panicking – while RoonAppliance is clearly the process running when the kernel panic occurred, this is clearly a problem with the operating system.

I’d look into hardware issues or driver issues. Do you have any custom drivers or any hardware connected to the device? Is Roon using the driver and/or hardware when the panic occurs?

I would like to point to the code translation stuff (Rosetta) on the M1, but we have thousands of users using the M1 machines without panics, so I doubt it’s that.

Your routers and other hardware outside and not connected to the mac could not possibly be causing this.

A kernel panic is a ‘crash’ of the kernel. Operating system kernels core job is to prevent this type of thing, to disallow processes that do bad from crashing the machine. Drivers mostly run in the kernel, and hardware is almost always handled through a heavy layer in the kernel. That’s why I would start thinking in that direction when it comes to panics.