Kii Three speaker

I believe it could be a problem with the Control. Connecting it to a computer it shows up like a generic USB hub, not like a xmos soundcard. Will keep you updated.

Do you have the Kii Control driver installed on your computer?

1 Like

Got exactly the same question from Kii. My bad, I havenā€™t. Iā€™ll install the driver ASAP. The Control should work right out of the box with Linux and Mac according to the Kii employee. I wasnā€™t expecting an answer before Monday, the earliest. The reply came after an hour. That is good customer service!

I believe MicroRendu is Linux based?

1 Like

Yes it is Linux based. Unless specifically told otherwise about a ā€œstreamerā€, I think you can assume itā€™s Linux based. I think there are some very obscure Windows ones around, but AFAIK all the audiophile ones are Linux.

Thanks! Will have to contact Sonore again if I canā€™t get it working.

Does Control supply itā€™s own USB power or does the USB circuit use power from the mR?

That is fast! Who did you ask/got the reply from?

I sent an email to the address on their website, really astonishing reply time.

I donā€™t know for sure, but I believe the USB port runs its own power as the Control is a preamp for the Three. Would surprise me if it didnā€™t. @danny2 has managed to get it working, so thereā€™s definitely hope.

I ask because the USB input of my Mutec MC-3 takes power from the mR. If the supply used to power the mR delivers too little current Iā€™ll have problems with the Mutec.

Thanks. I currently use the iFi iPower 9V/2A. It should have enough juice to power the USB port. @danny2 which power supply did you use when using the MicroRendu with the Control?

I also have one of those IFi iPower units. I believe it depends a little which version it is The newest version is marked 9V/2A, but an early version did not deliver that spec (and was marked as 9V/1.5A). For the mR alone this would be OK, but if the USB device draws itā€™s power from the mR an early iFi might get you into trouble depending on how much current the attached USB device uses.
This link talks about the Uptone LPS-1, but is quite educational all the same: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29458-ultracapā„¢-lps-1-listening-impressions-thread/page/4/#comments

It works! I had to unplug the ethernet and USB cable from the Control, then reattach both and reboot the MicroRendu. The Control actually draws power from the USB port when the ethernet cable is unplugged. Thanks a bunch to @danny2 and @ogs for all your help.

2 Likes

That is certainly good news!
Iā€™ll be listening to a pair of the Three in a week or twoā€¦ the 8c is also on my list, but I have no listening appointment for those yet.

Really? isnā€™t it mains powered?

Good luck with that! I havenā€™t heard the 8c but I believe both are phenomenal speakers. Please keep us updated. I didnā€™t demo the Kiis before buying them. Over 1200 kilometres to the nearest dealer. Good thing I liked them.

It has an internal SMPS, but the USB circuit is powered on the bus. The mR gets quite hot!

I think it would be really hard not to like speakers like that :slight_smile: , but youā€™re still brave!

1 Like

Yes brave, but reasonable :sweat_smile: @ogs take your time and donā€™t let fool yourself from the initial impression in the comparison. Especially the KIIs need some ā€œadjustmentā€ of yourself, because the overall presentation and bass is different from what you (maybe) might know. You can find my comparison and decision in the D&D thread.

Prop it up on itā€™s side and it will cool much better-not as hot.