Latest update 1.0.221 hosed ROCK [resolved]

Is there a way to go back?

No there is not.

I created a new USB drive with the Roon Rock software using Rufus and booted off the USB drive. This gave me the option to recover the ROCK boot drive. I then had to restore from backup, which I was able to do after rebooting the ROCK server. The backup said it completed successfully, but it then redirected to the login screen. When I login, it says that I can only authorize one device and if I want to use the current device, I have to deauthorize my existing server. I don’t think I want to do that. I can I log into my existing server that I restored from backup?

Yes, deauthorize… You can’t hurt anything.

Did you have any luck?

yes. Thanks. Deauthorizing the old server did the trick.

I think I might have the same issue? I just updated my Roon Rock NUC. It’s not appearing on the network. Hooked it up to my TV and I have a screen similar to yours. What’s the next step then @Jay_Torborg ?

Hey @Dameon_Jamie , @Jay_Torborg

Would you mind to share hardware spec of your NUCs (including SSD make / model ) ?

@Dameon_Jamie - similar to Jay, we suggest you to try to make ROCK recovery via USB installer.

Hi @vova .

Specs:
NUC8i3BEH

1 x Transcend 128GB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive 1800MB/s Read, 1500MB/s Write

1 x Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) PC4-19200 (2400MHz) DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM - CL17 2400MHz, 8GB (1x8GB) 260-Pin SO-DIMM, Single Ranked, x8 Based, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, 1024Meg x64, 1.2V

I ran the Roon ROCK recovery from the USB installer as suggested. I went ahead and updated the BIOS before I did that, something I had been putting off because everything was working fine. This is the fist incident I have had since original install 1 year ago this month.

It appears that I have made a full recovery. Everything is working. DO I need to check anything to make sure all my settings are restored?

Also, I have the notification that an update is ready to be downloaded and installed for my Roon Optimised Core Kit. How can I safely do this? Why did this update fail? Would you like time to investigate before signing off on my updating the Rock OS?

Thanks for info. I would urge you to not update until we understand what the issue is.

1 Like

Roger that!

Hello Vova,

wouldn’t it be wise to retreat the update until the issue is found and solved. Speaking as a concerned NUCI7 user and having red that the issue also occurs to these NUC’s?

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Metadata improver after updating

Just thinking aloud - I wonder if the good folk at Roon get some sort of ‘call back’ from successful installations?
If so, it would be interesting to know what percentage of updates are successful* and on what hardware. I’m running an 8i5BEH and I’m certainly not giving this update a go until I know more!

Michael

(*I appreciate that unsuccessful updates don’t seem to leave the NUC in any sort of state where it could ‘call home’!)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I’m not touching the update with a bargepole!

1 Like

As of now we are talking about less than 20 reports against several thousands of successful updates

1 Like

@Dameon_Jamie, @Jay_Torborg by any chance did you have additional storage attached to the box ( internally or externally) ?

That’s interesting (and somewhat comforting) - thank you.

@vova My storage is on a Synology DiskStation DS218j

@vova Also, at the time of the update I had an Apple SuperDrive attached to the NUC.