Lets talk about what's Moving and Grooving you today. [2023-05]

Blissfully asleep fortunately

2 Likes

Morning gents :coffee:

@Michael_Harris New Mystic Prophecy album is now officially released :metal:t2:

Also Elegant Weapons iā€™ve recommended to you some weeks ago.

1 Like

Thank you kindly, mystic prophecy added and up next.
Elegant Weapons also add to Library and queue

Wow Hellriot set off my sub this morning, itā€™s volume level is set rather higher than DĆ©jĆ  Vu. I think that the wife might be awake now :grin:

1 Like

12 Likes

Sorry :see_no_evil: Next time Iā€™ll recommend something less subwoofer triggering :grin:

How many clicks on crossover and gain is your rel usually set to?

Sub Woofer Volume at about 35% and crossover set to about 55 which given then it sits about 2 feet away from me that was thumping.and I lied it
Excellent album, I will continue it this evening :grin:

2 Likes

Imgur working 1st time in a couple of weeksā€¦

3 Likes

4 Likes

I donā€™t understand why REL state that gain should always be higher than crossover.

Would you know why?

I find their instructions confusing at times. Or maybe theyā€™re super clear but I just have the dumb and cannot brain :slight_smile:

Any other REL users on here?

2 Likes

This one is a 10" Dali Sub being fed by the pre out on my Arcam amp and being right besides me offers some real kick with the right music.

I also never understood the REL suggestion and previously had it fed through an LFE feed from an amp that supported low pass out. Now the REL is in my Man Cave again and fed by my RCA out from the pre amp streamer with the XLR feeding the Power Amp. Subs can be fun to get right.
Generally I follow the REL YouTube videos until they do not give me what I need and then I go my own way.

2 Likes

not a fan, but stillā€¦ RIP Tina Turner (83)

3 Likes

As I understand it, LFE enables the discrete content (Bass effects) from a Dolby or DTS encoded audio tracks to be output to the sub, therefore itā€™s doubtful that you would be using the best settings for music reproduction. Although there would be loads of bass, tuning for music would be quite challenging as opposed to using RCA or High level inputs.

RELā€™s website has a large number of articles & videos on setting up subwoofers in various scenarios but none of them really make setup easier.

I have had more success with setup using ā€œHouseCurveā€ for 30 minutes than trying any of the REL methods.

3 Likes

Checked out the Artists in My Library, sorted alphabetically, and didnā€™t even get beyond the letter ā€œAā€.

2 Likes

Agree :slight_smile:

Heard of this but never went as far as to give it a try. Judging by your comment, this is not that straight forward either but you would recommend?

1 Like

Paul You are absolutely right it is the Low Level inputs. It was my old AV amp that used the LFE from an Onkyo.

My setup is now using Dirac built into the Arcam amplifier and I have been very happy with that.

I have always been ā€œput offā€ by the apparent complexity of using Dirac or REW room correction so never bothered to try them out, I prefer to spend my time listening whenever possible.

However, I read the thread (below) and thought I would give Housecurve a try. Reading the online manual took a couple of hours & familiarisation with the app another hour before a useable output was produced and added to Roon. Itā€™s pretty easy to use, all you need is an iPhone or iPad and while not essential an external microphone (with configuration file) may improve the results.

After months of trying to resolve a ā€œboomingā€ bass problem in my room the situation was drastically improved on the first attempt. With a little more fine tuning the problem was resolved.

4 Likes

Thanks Paul (if I remember correctly?).

I tried Dirac on my M10 and did not get far due to me being rather technologically challenged :slight_smile: Bit of context on me - Without @Michael_Harris help I would have probably ended up installing something like iPadOS on my ROCK :rofl:

I too struggle with my REL and lots of boom at times. Maybe I should start watching some Youtube tutorials on REW and if or when feeling confident enough, give it a try.

3 Likes

Well most people set up the x/over freq too high and the gain(volume) too low .
So the main speakers and sub are both reproducing some of the range , whereas you need the sub to only produce the frequencies below the range at which your mains fall away So the xover should be set at the freq slightly below where your mains output falls off.

3 Likes

I have used subs for years. At present DIRAC is used on both system, both with twin subs. One system fully active, the other is passive speakers and active subs. The subs are set a little higher than the main speakers and at about 40%. DIRAC sorts the rest, the app tells you where to put the mic so itā€™s easy. Itā€™s been a revelation to me! I do give the subs an extra click after though as is my tasteā€¦ā€¦

3 Likes

Thisā˜ļø
Exactly!
Sub crossover set at 37hz and gain cranked way up.
Have bass that will shake the pictures off the wall but no boom or thud.
Just good clean hard hitting in the chest type bass.

If you have no room correction software this works pretty well.
Ymmv

2 Likes