Library connection lost

Hi @David_Dome - I believe that’s our next step here in that case. Let’s try to get proper networking gear and see if the issue is still the same. I would also suggest getting the router from a location with easy returns (such as Amazon - in case you find it doesn’t meet your specific needs). You can also take a look over our Networking Best Practices Guide for further networking suggestions. Once you have made these changes, can you let me know if the behavior is still the same?

I have connected the Nativ via ethernet cable to an unmanaged Netgear switch.

The issue is that the Connection - ‘Connection Lost’ error message - keeps dropping out briefly, which stops the music, and then stating up again with the music paused. This happens regularly - about 15 secs after starting a track.

I do have a Netgear AC1750 Dual Band Wifi Mesh Expander system in place but are not using this and are considering plugging in the Nativ direct to this to see if this makes a difference rather than the switch, altho this would mean a bit of re-wiring which i am loathe to do unless necessary.

I would have thought the ethernet cable connection should have solved the connection issue??

Any advice please??

Hi @David_Dome,

Just to clarify, you are still using the ISP router, correct? Another thought - have we checked to see if any other Roon Remotes exhibit the same issue? If you have another Windows or Mac PC, iOS/Android device which you can install Roon on, it would be interesting to know if this behavior reproduces there.

I am using the ISP router correct. The Intel NUC is connected via ethernet direct to the router/modem
I can’t test any other Roon Remotes because now the Nativ has disappeared altogether as an Audio Zone! So i can’t even have have playback anymore.
Why would the Audio Zone disappear?

Rebooted everything and the Nativ reappeared.

But still have Connection issues, even tho i’ve ethernet cabelled direct to the unmanaged switch
Please don’t tell me to change out the ISP router as i have a phone line connected to that and i can just see that changing out the ISP router will create a huge issue with the phone line!

Tried using phone and laptop as remotes - disconnects everytime.

Is there anybody there? Surely there has to be a better/more responsive way to resolve technical issues than a message board??

Hi @David_Dome,

Since the issue impacts both your Nativ Vita, your phone and your laptop as remotes, this is either a Core issue or a networking issue.

You can try temporarily hosting your Roon Core on the laptop to eliminate the Core as being part of the issue:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

If the same issue is occurring, then I would say it’s time to swap out the ISP router for something more stable.

You don’t need to fully remove the ISP router. My suggestion here is putting the ISP router/modem combo in modem only mode (called “Bridge Mode”) and have a regular consumer-grade router perform the rest of the routing.

I would discuss with your ISP on how to place it into Bridge Mode, but just to be clear - you’re not removing the ISP hardware, you’re just changing it so that it just manages the connection to the external network while a better router would manage the internal network connections.

Fixed it by hard wiring the Native to the router/modem. No small feat but worth the end result if it solves the drop outs. There must have be some issue with the switch, altho other devices connected are working fine.
All things (touch wood) seem to be working fine! Am looking forward to loading the new version of Roon tonight and seeing what the new Overview looks like!

1 Like

Hi @David_Dome,

Thanks for the update here, glad to hear that bypassing the switch has resolved the issue!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.