Library connection lost

Hi there - i have lost my library connection.

I am running my core on a Intel NUC BEAN CANYON BOXNUC8i3BEH4, i3-8109U,
HDDINT26100 Intel SSD 760P 128GB M.2 2280
MEMCRU079100 Crucial 8GB DDR4 SODIMM
ROCK is running on the core

My Roon is running on a Nativ Vita with an internal 2TB HDD. All the music is being stored on the internal HDD.

However, i am getting an error message ‘‘It looks like one of your storage locations could be offline. Go to Storage settings and make sure everything is connected.’’

Have restarted the core but error message stays.

This has happened once before and i deleted the link to the music library and reconnected it and it worked. However, it had to re-scan the entire library - about 7k songs so takes a couple of hours and don’t want to have to do that every few weeks.

If i play music through the Nativ Vita UI/app then the songs play ok so it looks like a Roon issue.

Any advice please? @support

Hi @David_Dome,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

1 Like

Can you connect to the vita share outside of roon from a client, across the network?

Hi @David_Dome,

Can you check to see if the IP address is still the same for the Vita? Have you set a Reserved IP address in your router configuration to ensure that this IP does not change? I would try connecting to the share outside of Roon to verify if it still works.

I resolved, i think, by setting static IP addresses for both the Vita and the Core.
I still get a number of wifi drop outs with both the core and the Vita (Audio Zone) often dropping out.
I have the core connected via cable to the router

Should i also connect the Vita to the core and/or router via cable? Would that fix the drop out issues @support?

Hi @David_Dome,

As noted in our Networking Guide, we advise that you use an Ethernet connection whenever possible. This is especially important for your Core machine and wherever the media is stored (the Vita). WiFi tends to be more prone to interference issues and is generally less reliable than an Ethernet connection.

1 Like

Thanks @support

The Networking Guide was useful but didn’t state what was the best structure of ethernet connections.
Currently, the Core is connected by ethernet to the router. Is this the correct set up?

Given there is only one single Ethernet port, what i need to know is what is the best set up:

1. Core to router via ethernet? (current)
  2. Core to the Vita via ethernet?
  3. Vita to router via ethernet?

Many thanks.

Hi @David_Dome,

It’s best to have both the Core and the Endpoints connected via Ethernet to the primary router.

If your router only support one Ethernet connection, you may want to add an Unmanaged Switch to split the one Ethernet connection into multiple outputs.

While I can’t comment on a specific model/manufacturer of switch to use, there is some discussion regarding switches in the following thread:

Thanks @support that’s clear.
A wired connection is pretty much impossible to the endpoint due to the configuration of the house without running a cable right across the lounge!
I purchased a mesh expander today as per the guide and it seems to be working to date. The core does drop out every now and then but it does connect again. Let’s see how that goes.
Many thanks for the assistance.

Hi @David_Dome,

Thanks for the update here, do let us know if things are still stable with the mesh network in place!

Lost my library tonight. Was playing fine all day. Then tonight entire db disappeared. Reconnected to the folder automatically and started importing the files again but then stopped and is frozen at 867 (I have around 10k). Help @support!

I removed the link to the database and reconnected it. It scanned all the files but they are not importing.

Roon seems to be running relatively smoothly now except that every time i change an album, the Audio Zone drops out and i have to re-boot the Nativ to reconnect it. Firstly, why does this happen, and secondly is there a quicker way to reconnect the Audio Zone than re-boot @support?

Hi @Davi_Dome,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, I have been out of the office the past few days.

Can you provide some more information as to the exact error state?

• What exactly happens when the zone drops off? Do you still see music playing in Roon and there’s no sound output? Does the zone still appear in Roon Settings -> Audio or is it missing from there?

• Is your Vita up to date on newest firmware?

• Does the same audio drop occur even if you are playing tracks with the same sample rate / file format type one after another?

• How is your network currently set up? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your router and mesh expander in use?

Thanks @noris

See notes below:

• What exactly happens when the zone drops off? Do you still see music playing in Roon and there’s no sound output? Does the zone still appear in Roon Settings -> Audio or is it missing from there?

No,the music stops playing. Zone disappears, bother as a selction and within the Audio tab. Have to reboot the entire machine to get it to appear again. Is there another way for Roon to find the Nativ rather than having to reboot?

• Is your Vita up to date on newest firmware?

Yes

• Does the same audio drop occur even if you are playing tracks with the same sample rate / file format type one after another?

Def drops out when going from a 192/24 track down to 44.1/16.

• How is your network currently set up? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your router and mesh expander in use?

Network is an Intel NUC8i3BEH4, i3-8109U as core, Vodafone UltraHub router, Netgear Model EX6250 mesh expander.

I have noted that it happens when Roon is adding Music to the Library. I haven’t checked enough times to see if it also happens when music is not being added.
I note that Roon checks often. I wonder if i set the Rescan Interval to only on startup that this may be a better option? Or Disable altogether and only do a Force Rescan when i add music?

Or what about the Background Audio Analysis Speed or On Demand Audio Analysis Speed. If i turn up or down either of these would that help??

I wonder if some of this is congestion as you say “I have noted that it happens when Roon is adding Music to the Library.”.
If i read it right your music is on the vita which is also your playback device?
So files are going disk>vita>core>vita before playback. Is there any chance you could copy some files onto a usb key or disk and attach locally to the core on the NUC just to test?

@ged_hickman1 @support
I’ve tried disabling the scanning - or at least setting it to scan once every 24 hours - but it still scans/adds Music to Library every time i reboot the Nativ. Why does it do this?

I’m pretty sure this is the issue. When i play a 44.1khz file it seems more stable (if maybe a bit slow in flipping between tracks) even when scanning. If i try a 192khz file when it’s scanning - CRASH! Audio zone disappears. Becomes frustrating if i can’t switch off the scanning function and every time i reboot it starts scanning. The only alternative is to only play lo-res files which to some extent defeats the purpose of Roon and the Vita!

Yes, music is stored on the Vita which is also the playback device. I could try a USB direct into the core and set that up as a separate watched folder.

I would try adding a mix of files directly to the core then unmount the vita in roon and see what happens.

@support. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to stop the bloody thing scanning everytime I turn it on???