Linn Akurate DSM playback stops/pauses by itself

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 64bit with latest updates
Asus Z370-P, Intel Core i5 8600K, 16gb RAM, Kingston 400gt SSD + WD WD40EZRZ 4tb HDD as storage, Geforce 1070
Roon 1.6 (Build 416) installed on the SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

D-Link DIR-868L with newest firmware
Realtek® RTL8111H, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s) with latest drivers

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Akurate DSM Katalyst connected with Cat6 Ethernet cable to D-Link DIR-868L
ADSM with latest software and firmware

Description Of Issue

So I’ve had this problem that my playback drops quite frequently, few times a week. Roon client shows that music would still be playing (playback icon still active), but the seekbar doesn’t move and nothing obviously comes out of the speakers. Linn ADSM screen blinks play and pause icons simultaneously. It usually helps that I just stop music from Roon remote and wait a sec then start the playback again.

I have Roon server as separate installation on the PC and I use Roon remote on iPad and iPhone and also have Roon installed on the same PC but connected to the server as remote only.

I can send the RoonServer_log.txt from the time dropout occurred to Roon support if needed. I don’t feel good about posting it here.

Not sure what could cause this since there’s no other activity on the PC while it happens. It happens very randomly. Some setting wrong with the D-Link maybe?

I had a similar problem with my ADSM a while ago.
A full power cycle (toggle switch to off, pause a few seconds, toggle on) seemed to have resolved the issue for me.
I may have restarted the Roon core at the same time.
Might be worth a try.

Thanks Brett, I did the power cycle on ADSM and D-Link also. I’ve done it before though but not since I updated the newest software to ADSM. I’ll report if it helps.

Hi @patouskii,

Can you please send me the log file via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link and note the exact time in the logs when this issue occurred? You can send it to me as a private message if you don’t want to post it publicly here.

We are aware of a few Linn reports where the track stops with one second remaining on the track and we are investigating this behavior with Linn, is this perhaps the same issue you are experiencing here?

– Noris

Hi @noris and thanks for getting back. I’ve sent you the log text as a private message.

My dropouts happen randomly during playback, not only one second before the end of the track.

Hi @patouskii,

Thanks for sending those over. It looks like the buffer was not being filled in time and also that there were quite a few items inside the play queue. I would check to see if the ADSM update and power cycle of the router has helped and also clear out your queue if possible (Clear Upcoming + Clear All):

– Noris

Yeah I’ve done the power cycle yesterday. Played little bit music tonight and no dropouts yet.

I only had one album in queue when it happened I think? I normally play music one album at a time and then let Roon Radio take over or start another album.

I’ve also had this problem with my Linn DSM and my Nucleus.

I’ll try to provide more detail ASAP.

Hi @patouskii,

Glad to hear that the dropouts have subsided yesterday. If this issue occurs again can you note the exact local time + date in your country of when you experience this behavior so we can have some data points just in case we need to take a closer look at this behavior? e.g. playback stopped at 1:36PM on 5/1/4/19.

@Michael_Faoro - Thanks for the additional data point, can you please open a separate support ticket with the setup description and timestamps as well so we can take a closer look?

Thanks,
Noris

I’ve now also cleared the queue as you instructed. Do you think that the queue history might have had something to do with the dropouts?

Hi @patouskii,

Thanks for clearing the queue. I don’t think it was directly related to the main issue at hand, but I just wanted to be safe since I did see a trace in the logs regarding that aspect. If this issue occurs again in the coming days please do not the timestamp as I previously indicated.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok it happened again, this time I noticed that Roon Remote interface had stopped at one second before the end of first track on an album but the playback actually continued until the end of the second track. The visual interface left to the end of the first track though. After the second track the playback stopped completely and there was no music anymore.

I’ve sent the roonserver_log data to you noris.

Hi @patouskii,

Thanks for letting me know that additional data point. The symptoms you are describing are one’s that we are aware of an investigating.

Thank you for submitting the logs, our hardware team will be reaching out to Linn for this investigation and the similar reports we have.

Do note that an investigation such as this may require some time but as soon as I have more info to share with you I will be sure to let you know. Thanks in advance for your patience here!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Thanks noris, I hope this gets sorted out quickly. It’s happening quite often.

@noris

As I’m trying to interpret the log file by myself, it seems that Roon Server loses contact with the Akurate DSM streamer at some point and then buffer underrun is happening and eventually the playback stops. The pointer showing where playback goes might stop even earlier than the actual playback (audio). This problem is occurring pretty much every day so I would really love to get rid of it.

Do you think there might be some settings in D-Link DIR868 router/switch configuration which could help? I read some other discussion on this forum with similar problem and user told that it helped when he switched some DHCP settings / static ip settings from the router. I’m not sure how to do that or if it’s even possible with my D-Link.

Thanks

Hi @patouskii,

I believe they may be discussing setting a “reserved IP address” for the devices which essentially means “always give this device a specific IP address on the network”. You can give this a try, but I am not sure if it will help.

When I’ve seen this issue previously it occurred across multiple types of router configurations so I can’t quite say what triggers it but it appears to be endpoint-specific. Our hardware team is investigating the issue in conjunction with Linn but unfortunately I do not have any new updates to share at this time, as soon as I do I will be sure to let you know.

– Noris

As I have previously mentioned on a different Linn thread - Klimax DS here and I use ROON infrequently. Each time however I am forced to resort back to the native Linn app or the Lumin app. ROON is just to flakey with the latest update. The problem is not only the long search but more importantly that I simply cannot play music. When I go back to the native Linn app or Lumin app the music plays immediately - and all the time.

I am on my second year subscription however if things do not improve with Linn integration I think I will take a pass for this upcoming year until they can fix things.
I simply cannot sit down and not be able to play any music

Yeah I actually found that setting yesterday and reserved an IP for the ADSM. No drops today… yet. I also ticked the box “Broadcast always” on DHCP settings. Not sure if it has anything to do with this but the description sounded like it could possibly help with Roon and ADSM losing contact with each other.

greggl:

I guess you’re having it worse than me. I’m able to play music normally, I just get these dropouts every now and then, but way too often anyway. Also no problem with search time here, though I’m only playing my own library and don’t have Tidal or Qobuz subscriptions. I have lifetime license to Roon and I really want to use Roon only since it’s easily the best way to manage library. I really hope they can fix these problems quickly.

I’m not ‘blaming’ Linn here, but I can’t for the life of me understand why Linn didn’t embrace RAAT, and go for ‘Roon Ready’ certification with their DS range?
I have a lot of Linn kit myself, and have bought Linn for over fourty-years, but when it came to Investing in a network player a few years ago, I chose Lumin over Linn. And looking back, I’m glad I did.
Linn need to embrace Roon IMO, and not keep it at arms length.

Am I missing something? I thought Linn streamers are Roon Ready nowadays? How would they work with Roon so seamlessly otherwise?