Linn Organik Upgrades Available

Apparently this is now available to Linn dealers, as is the Organik upgrade to Klimax 350 active speakers, which I’ve just ordered for one of my systems.

Thanks; I have asked my Linn dealer whether that is available - I could only find actual announcements saying it was available for Klimax level Exakt and until that Lotto ticket comes up good, Klimax is probably out of reach.

The Organik upgrade is only available for Klimax kit, but it’s sure to filter down the range eventually.

I have the Linn klimax Katalyst in my system now. I have had it since the get go with all upgrades done through Linn along the way. I am very happy with it for the most part in my minimalistic system. I have a synergy between my Integrated amp, speakers, and the Klimax II which I have been searching for, for a long time.

I also have an EtherRegen digital switch, isolating the network with an AfterDark re-clocker connected to the EtherRegen as well. This then goes to the Klimax II.
This addition made a huge upgrade in overall sound quality, with less grunge, plus overall space, and clarity. Almost like what the Katalyst upgrade did.

I ordered a Linn Klimax Organic III Feb 14th. I am still waiting on it. Should be soon…
Linn’s flagship will still hold the top spot as the Organic upgrade to the Klimax II, which will be a variant of sorts. (Still very good I Imagine).

For example the Klimax III has parallel channel boards for better acoustic isolation and grounding to name a few details. It also has a SFP socket connection which I plan to use connected to the EtherRegen (which has one as well), which should give total electrical Isolation from my network.

Looking forward to this new addition!

Just got my 350 actives upgraded from Katalyst to Organik, a noticeable improvement in instrument separation, bass quality, and transient speed. Still waiting for a 2021 Klimax hub to that I ordered replace my 2018 hub, and optical networking gear to connect the SFP in the new hub to my main home Ethernet backbone.

1 Like

I’m completely flabbergasted how Organik deals with ‘vanilla’ RB CD streams. Here’s one of my fave’s:

I’ve never experienced this recording like this before, and it’s like I’m hearing it for the very first time. Live. Truly astounding.

1 Like

In a very different genre, I had the same reaction with

2 Likes

David Price reviews the DSM Organik upgrade:

Personally, I never warmed to Katalyst. But I’m just bowled-over with Organik :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I can’t comment on the upgrade yet - waiting on a Selekt upgrade to become available. Couldn’t help but respond to this, though…when I can upgrade, this is one of the first recordings I’ll listen to. It’s fantastic.

1 Like

It sounds great in good part thanks to Claudia Engelhart, the recording engineer, who also often does sound for Frisell’s live performances.

1 Like

Thanks for this reference - very enjoyable read! I didn’t know anything about Claudia Engelhart but I’ve seen Frisell in various configurations over the past 20+ years and there’s a good chance I’ve been at a show she’s engineered.

I can’t resist telling this story. Probably about 20 years ago, I went to a small show during a jazz festival in Seattle. I think it was a Skerik think, in case you know of him. I was with my wife and another couple. I see a person slide into the seat to my right. I saw the pants, shoes, and the tumbler of whiskey, neat, that he casually rested on his left knee. I remember being curious because of how cool he seemed from the waist down. I looked up and saw Frisell sitting there. My wife was to my left and my friend on her left. I looked over at my friend who was looking at Frisell with his eyes wide - we were both big fans. It was at least 20 minutes before the show was due to start and, during that time, a stream of people came over to say hi and pay homage. He was so nice and gracious. There are always a ton of musicians at shows like this and they were mostly the folks coming over. The band tried to convince him to play with them.

I’m still a fan to this day. Last years Marvel’s album was quite good.

Anyhow…fun to chat about and thanks again for the reference! Hope to someday hear it on an Organik!

There are plenty of cool Frisell stories, I have a few too. I’m kind of bummed out that I’m working remotely this week while he’s performing in the Bay Area, I somehow did not get my schedule together properly.

I have a Selekt system hub running through Akurate Exaktbox-I with Katalyst feeding M140’s.

When Organik is available for the Exaktbox I’ll certainly consider it although if it has to return to Scotland it would probably be much easier just to p/x it for a new box with factory Organik!

1 Like

I have M140’s too, Aktiv fed by two C4100’s. They’re great speakers IMO.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. They punch well above their price point imo.

The downside is that now the Akudoriks have gone the next step up is a huge leap in price!

1 Like

I have 2021 Klimax system hub > digital > active Organik-upgraded 350s on one location, but Organik Klimax DSM > analog > ATC SCM40As at our other location does better for less.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at Aktiv Akubariks on eBay, which I could feed via XLR from my Klimax Kontrol.

I’m very tempted, but the ‘problem’ is, is that I just love my system as it is, and I’m hesitant in changing something so drastic that could potentially be less satisfying.

If you are going for analog active speakers, I really recommend SCM40A Active Loudspeake | ATC Loudspeakers. I listened to them against Linn analog actives driven by Klimax DSM and ATC won in dynamics and detail.

2 Likes

Cheers for the feedback @Fernando_Pereira :grinning:

I must admit that I do not know anything about the ATC SCM40As, but I am interested.
@Fernando_Pereira, how do you connect the Linn Klimax DSM/3 to the ATC SCM40As?
Just an XLR analog cable out to each of the speaker?