Linux or Windows Codecs

ROCK’s designed to be an “appliance” so tinkering isn’t encouraged and user access points are minimised. I’ve never used it as I was put off when I couldn’t partition/use the M2 drive in the NUC.

They would have to put it on their network and it would get its own IP address.

I do have one question/perhaps hint. Do you have a drive on the NUC that holds your library? If so how do you copy files to that?

Here’s Roon’s ROCK how-to for Windows, perhaps this helps? the method of connecting to SAMBA is the same and they have a little video thing:

Thanks for your message!
The Nuc holds my music library set up via Rock
As i recall the library was set up by moving the files directly from Sooloos system.
I have also been in contact with Roon support but it is intermittant.
Unless i hear from them this morning
I will take nuc with flash drive ( CONTAINING THE ffpmeg file to the local computer store and ask them to install on the nuc
Do you see any issues with that?

Question:
Would not having the codec files prevent me from seeing my library or output device?

Be sure to let them see the ROCK instructions. I’d ask about SAMBA straight up, if they look like they know nothing/are bluffing go elsewhere…

I had tried this a couple of days ago
was not working
i will send the screenshot

Yes i will do that…thanks!

I am sorry you’re having problems. I assume you downloaded the ffmpeg archive from the website linked to in Roon’s documentation? I only have Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my Linux system, but it should be exactly the same on a regular Windows 10 install. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Go to the this Roon web page and download the file linked (right click, save as to your Downloads folder).

2. You need to install an application that will uncompress the ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz archive you just downloaded. I recommend the free and safe program 7zip.

3. This archive is double compressed, which means that you need to uncompress it twice, so:

4. After you installed 7zip, right click on the ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz and choose “7zip / Extract files…” and follow the default options. This will create the archive: “ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar”

5. Right click on the archive ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar and choose “7zip / Extract files…” and follow the default options. This will create the directory “ffmpeg-git-amd64-static”

6. Inside the “ffmpeg-git-amd64-static” directory, there’s another directory “ffmpeg-git-20220302-amd64-static” and inside it is the ffmpeg file. You will need to copy it to your ROCK.

7. Open your Windows File Manager, type ctrl + l

8. This will highlight the path along the top of the File Manager window and type: “\\ROCK.local\data” and press Enter when done. (see screen shot):

9. Then, double click on the Codecs folder and copy the ffmpeg file there. That’s it.

1 Like

Windows unfortunately has some inbuilt issues dealing with smb shares and accessing them so if you happen to get any errors you need to give us info. But I think there are some instructions on the rock setup guide for allowing windows to connect too.

Hi everyone
Thanks for your help. I was able to get the Codecs loaded on the NUC.

Next challenge:
Roon does not see my library
(located on the ROCK)
Nor does it see my out put devices.

Set up:
Core - ROCK linux
NUC connected to seagate harddrive
Bridge to End point -Allo USB
Endpoint - Aesthtix Romulus cd/dac

All cables hookup appear to be ok

I believe that my router switch is bad. When NUC connected to switch, cannot see Optimize core
When ethernet cable connected directly to router, then Roon sees Core. However, when i connect the other cables (ethernet) to router, roon still only sees the core and not my hard drive nor out put devices,

Connections:
NUC: -

• ethernet to router
  • USB to harddrive

Allo Bridge:

• Ethernet to router
  • USB to Aesthtix Dac

I think the above is correct…

Great! That’s progress. Now, let’s make sure your Roon devices are on the network. Your NUC and Allo Bridge are connected to the router, correct? So now you need to find out their IP addresses. You can download a network scanner app for your phone. I use Fing on my Android phone, but there are several others. Do a scan of your LAN, and it will list all devices on your network. You will be able to recognize your ROCK and Roon Bridge (what OS are you running? Ropieee?). That’s the next step. Try it and please report back what you find out.

This topic was automatically closed after 20 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.