Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

I am trying to do the same thing, but I am no idea how to do this. Do I actually need to start winetricks, I then need to choose a task but I am unsure what to do next. Could anyone be more specific? Thanks!

Hi, I just entered metioned command into CLI/shell.

WINEPREFIX=... contains path to Roon installation directory (I have installed it with Roon-On-Wine script). Last part of that line runs ‘winecfg’ GUI tool where you need to change Windows Version to Windows 10. Thats all.

winecfg

First time when I tried winecfg without this prefix, the Win version change has no effect. The trick is to specify the path in WINEPREFIX variable BEFORE running winecfg.
And the path alone was extracted by right-clicking on Roon desktop icon. In Properties->Command there was:

/home/user1/roon-on-wine/start_my_roon_instance.sh

I opened this file and in it there is current WINEPREFIX value.

4 Likes

Thanks @vlad_k - I got there in the end after your help!

1 Like

This worked for me - thanks @Robert_Andersson and @vlad_k. I also referred to your fix at Roon 2.0 and Linux (Wine) as I went to that thread first, so may be helpful for others.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

Having to use Wine for a Linux Remote is close to be as annoying as having to use a x86 machine for the core.
I know a lot of the HiFi people / your customers are men in their 40’s who are scared of the terminal but some are not. Please notice us somehow, it’s not like the open source linux tinkerer wouldn’t want to pay for your work.

2 Likes

When can we expect a Roon Client for Linux ?
Most of the times im working with linux.
And i am not alone.
A Snap or Flatpack would be sufficient.

Hi @norbert_ruethers,

I’ve merged your post into this feature suggestion topic.

Not want you want to hear I know but Roon have stated it’s not on their development roadmap.

As a pragmatist I think it’s safe to interpret that as never.

While @Carl is right, it is rather easily installed in Wine with the nice script provided by @spockfish:

And it works well, except that (some?) people see high CPU usage

1 Like

I agree totally with that statement.

I have moved my Roon core to Windows 11 on Intel NUC Core i5 Gen10 with 32GB RAM. Expecting to run Remote directly on Windows machine and connect to it with RDP. It works but guess what? When the remote runs, CPU % goes often up and the fan kicks in. And the silence is gone. I really don’t understand. What’s wrong with this (paid) app that mostly displays static images and text? Does it mine crypto in the background?

I think there are almost as many Linux users as Mac Os users.
Nobody can tell me that it is so hard for professional programmers to develop a Linux client.
I am a paying Roon user.
If Roon doesn’t care about the interests and demands of the users I will quit soon.
A company that only pursues its own agenda and doesn’t care about the (paying) users has no chance to survive in the long run.
This is the same as with folder browsing. The management doesn’t want it and that’s that.

1 Like

Haha, no, not by far (and I say this as a Linux-on-the-desktop user of the first hour in the early nineties)

Linux has about the same market share as Chrome OS and its not even close to Mac OS.

the statement was meant provocatively
I do not care how much percentage linux has
but the users are present and should not be excluded

1 Like

But it was a sevenfold exaggeration. If we assume that Roon has 250,000 users and the distribution is the same as generally:
185,350 on Windows
38,325 on macOS
7,257 on Linux

Obviously this makes a big difference when judging where to spend resources. It’s possible to disagree if 3% of the user base are that point, but at some point, certain OS users are necessarily ignored. Or if we are not allowed to ignore anyone, what about the FreeBSD, Haiku OS or Hurd users?

Anyway, Linux users CAN run Roon GUI, just use Wine. Or a VM

2 Likes

ok at this stage it’s better to stop the discussion
it leads nowhere
You can only draw personal consequences from it

Indeed, a discussion that is not based on facts cannot lead anywhere

1 Like

I would like to remind:

1. Linux users are paying customers too
  2. If games are available for Linux too, porting this software should not be a problem. It’s just a client with text and images.
  3. Or please create a web interface! Something like Tidal and we’ll be happy!

I think most are running on Wine, and you can do that too