Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

I do run Roon on Wine and it works. The problem is high CPU usage and related fan noise. Fun fact: almost the same behaviour on Windows 11 where Roon server runs. When Roon clients runs too, fan goes loud. What a poor design.

I know, I suffered from that too (and started that thread). Though recently someone posted in the related thread that it stopped for them. Anyway, this could be solved with much less effort than a native Linux GUI app.

I just installed Roon on my Steam Deck using Lutris to make things easier. The whole thing now runs through Wine, and it’s a joy to finally have a TV ready interface for my Roon library!

That’s a good idea!

I am currently using Roon via Genymotion (an Android emulator).
Basically, you need a virtualbox installation on your linux machine. Then install Genymotion, create an Android Tablet and drag&drop the official Roon APK in there.
Works pretty well.

That remark is uncalled for! And the attitude behind it is the reason why Linux (although technically far superior to Windows) keeps on losing out: by (SW) engineers for engineers, with no regard at all for non technical users .

Remember VHS, Betamax en Philips 2000? The (by far) worst technology won out (by far) because the engineers behind the best technology did not (want to) understand the market they were in (which is now content streaming).

But I digress, this is not a forum about Linux, it’s about Roon. And Roon (best there currently is, but still not really good), only drops a small portion of its potential market by blowing off non-technical Linux users. That attitude is typical for Roon, live with it or find an alternative.

1 Like

Look, it was an argument based on made up numbers that are not supported by reality.

I don’t see how this follows.

2 Likes

Hey, come on! This comment is unnecessary in a music-oriented forum, but more importantly, denigrates the considerable achievement of Dave Cutler and his team at DEC/Microsoft in building Windows NT, which has been the foundation of Windows for 30 years now! Modern Windows is technically an excellent operating system, fully the equal of Apple’s MacOS. It’s based on Cutler’s experience with RSX-11 and VMS when he was at DEC, mixed with ideas from the Mach microkernel work at CMU, so it can seem foreign to someone exposed mainly to today’s UNIX swampland. Moreover, Microsoft overlaid it with much cruft mandated by “business logic”, which was probably a win from a business perspective, but which makes it seem slightly ridiculous and baroque to pure techies. But the core OS is still excellent, and arguably better than Linux. An argument which could run forever… :rofl:

I am very aware of the work of Dave on WNT at MS. It is incorrect to characterise that as work at DEC. It was started AFTER Dave quit Ken’s company.

Dave did start out that project hoping to build “VMS+1”, but his later comments clearly showed that the project did not deliver what he originally hoped for.

As my opinion digresses from the going opinion in this community, it will probably again be flagged as inappropriate. For those reading this quickly enough: I am dropping this discussion (it is a sidestep in a Roon forum anyway).

Anyone may flag a message if they have concerns, but it is the moderator’s responsibility to uphold a flag.

@Jan_Stes, your post is hidden because it infringes the community guidelines, not because of your opinion.

Can I ask exactly how my post infringes the guidelines? What sentence(s) infringes what part of the the guidelines? I don’t see it. Perhaps some expression that is interpreted diffently by native English speakers (which I am not)?

You criticized the person, not the idea.

I believe I critized the person’s ideas (and his pure technical approach to the issue), not the person.

Can you please indicate with what sentence I critized the person in your view?

This is pointless. Let’s criticize Roon for not making Linux app. Would it be a problem to make AppImage? Just click and run? I am not a coder. I am just asking.

As already pointed out by others, the likely reason for no Linux support is not entirely technical, but rather the additional development overhead necessary to maintain an OS with very few users, myself included.

When we chose Linux we accept that no native support for some applications is inevitable.

I undestand these arguments. However Roon is paid software, not a freeware. Roon doesn’t run without subscription (except trial version). In fact, Roon is by far my most expensive piece of software. Considering that we are talking here about remote control app I still don’t get it why there are no resources to do this. As I said I am not a coder but porting this kind of app to linux world could not be that problematic and expensive. It’s just a control app. No content (except metadata), no video, no sound, just control interface + static images.

Second, take for example Spotify. Essentially a free service with linux client avaiable to download. And that is a service with content. With millions of licensed songs.

And there is native linux bridge software from Roon (which is very nice).

1 Like

This is irrelevant. The vast majority of commercial software doesn’t run on Linux.

Moreover, it was never offered, and as you can see from the thread’s title, it’s not on the roadmap.

I’d love to see a native Linux app, but I have realistic expectations.

2 Likes

MS Teams has been running on Linux for some time. And I use it daily. This is the last software I would expect on Linux. I recently downloaded Edge for Linux. Times are changing. The roadmap is not set in stone. They can modify it.

Yes, my mistake entirely in not being clear. By “his team at DEC/Microsoft”, I meant “his team at DEC which he brought to Microsoft after Ken downsized his operation”.

I’m a Linux guy myself, typing this on a Linux workstation, but I still admire the craftsmanship in NT.

I don’t think it’s the cost of a port that’s the issue from a business standpoint, it’s the cost of sup-port.

And, it’s an unofficial app that isn’t supported by Microsoft.