Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

Teams is an Electron app and Electron is a multi-platfom framework with native Linux support. Roon runs on custom framework developed in-house by Roon.

Maybe it’s good there isn’t a Linux GUI. The windows and mac versions problems seem to stem from the GUI part more than the server.

1 Like

dont take my post as negative

roon is awesome software on debian linux

linux app is way pass due

Maybe it’s time to officially support Roon (as a remote control) on Wine, hearing the news from Microsoft about their planned future of Windows (Cloud Windows)?
I think many users, myself included, just want a stable, robust, secure, low maintenance and non-spying system to control their media playback. I don’t see any reason why a 6+ year old computer shouldn’t do the trick. Microsoft obviously sees this differently with its requirements for the current Windows – we better not even talk about their plans for the future. I’m not willing to replace a perfectly adequate computer system purchased for its intended purpose with a new one just to run the latest Windows and Roon for a maximum of 5 years before Microsoft (and Roon Labs’ support policy) forces me to buy a new one again.

4 Likes

Linux desktop usage continues to rise. Many of us have switched over to Linux completely as quality has gone up and games have become compatible over the last three years thanks to Steam and Proton.

It’s time for official Linux desktop support for Roon.

Less than 2% of all steam users.

MacOS has even less than that and yet a native MacOS desktop app exists.

Those are steam stats, not general consumer stats (Mac gaming is extremely rare).

Linux is a niche OS (consumer wise).

Yeah, but the general stats are completely hosed by business usage of Windows and macOS. What we need are consumer usage, and gaming might be a better indicator of that.

1 Like

And if you look at the steam gaming stats, Linux is only used by 1.39% of gamers.

It doesn’t matter which angle you approach it from (consumer wise) Linux is a tiny percentage of users.

And I believe that number. But of course the raw percentage isn’t terribly interesting; what matters is how important Roon feels we cranky Linux people are to its future.

1 Like

I would estimate that more than 2% of Roon users are Linux users.

Yes it’s a niche OS but Steam hardware survey is not an argument here since the distribution will always be heavily skewed towards Windows. If were to run a similar survey on a completely different demographic (i.e IT workers or creative/media professionals) the results would be completely different.

1 Like

Which is why I shared the other set of stats that show Linux is a niche operating system.

In the consumer space, it doesn’t matter where you look Linux is just barely used (in comparison to other OSs).

To be clear, the Linux desktop is, to use your words, a niche operating system. However, the Linux-based OS dominates the server space.

Nonetheless, your estimate for desktop is probably the closest, and possibly slightly high. I suspect Roon users on the Linux desktop is much less.

Roon is paid software and not cheap one. And we are talking about control interface. It can’t be that complicated or expensive to have one for Linux. Especially if there is a server (and bridge) part for linux already.

1 Like

Reading @danny’s posts in this very thread would suggest otherwise.

Or maybe some simple Web UI would be sufficient and universal for users of other platforms. We need basic playback control. No fancy stuff.

I have no insight into any of Roon Labs plans, but this old post from @brian seems to imply that they are (were?) looking at the option. My guess would be that either the tech isn’t mature enough or development resources are being spent elsewhere.

It would already be a step forward if they started testing on and supporting Wine officially IMHO.
I have no complaints about using the Windows version, that is not really a “native” Windows application as well as the MacOS version is not a “native” MacOS version and Android … you get the gist of it, running in Wine when/if it works. But I would/could gladly do without the thrill every-time an update pops-up: Will it still run or does it break? Will I or some one else be able to get it running again if it breaks and how long will it take until a solution is found (longest wait time for me so far was about a year)?

If I got it right, some users currently use the Android version in an Android container/VM because of issues with the Wine installation, but this sounds much more invasive and resource hungry than a Wine installation. The Android/iOS versions also come with limitations over their desktop pendants which makes them a no-go for some users.

1 Like