Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

Why not? It works and it seems to me that Roon Labs is investing resources to keep it that way. And it’s more than you get from others. Btw. I discarded many audio hardware I had interest in because they only provided an iOS App, completely ignoring Android users.

Because it isn’t.

Who knows what mess of package it will install on my system, I’m not going to be doing that thank you very much.

1 Like

Wine installs Wine and it’s dependencies. It haven’t noticed a mess. The Windows software you install in Wine goes in a container and doesn’t install anything natively into Linux.

How do you know what mess of package gets installed on your system when you install other Linux software?

Wine is purely for lazy developers to fob off Linux users, I’ve used Linux for 20 years and don’t intend on starting to run windows applications in this fashion now.

2 Likes

Really hoping for a solution here. It’s 2021… Linux user-base is only growing. Let’s look towards the future, Roon!

5 Likes

You can also try to use anbox and the android app under Linux.
I’m also using Linux and Solaris since 1992, but I don’t need to control Roon with a PC, because also in the homeoffice I’ve to use a mobile and for rudimentare control the logitech harmony is enough.

+1

I get a desktop app for linux from Bluesound so this would be a step backwards. A desktop linux remote is a deal breaker for me.

Doesn’t look like.

Note: But there is a thread in the forum with information how to convert the app for Linux and a Snap download link provided by a user - so to me this looks like unofficial and unsupported.

PS: By using Roon with Wine users use the official and supported Windows version of Roon - if they can manage to make it run with their chosen Linux flavor.

+1 for not having to use that workaround if possible or at least a commitment that the use with Wine is officially supported and tested during development.

I’m using the snap, it’s just a repackaging of the mac app so still supported and easy to install. Had actually forgotten it’s not official.

Bluesound is much easier to port over since it runs on Electron and Electron itself is multiplatform.

I don’t understand what you’re saying is a deal-breaker.

It’s a phrase, means I’m not taking out a subscription without a desktop app i can use.

1 Like

the way you worded it was unclear. I agree with you though. we need a GUI for linux in 2021.

4 Likes

After three days of reading and exploring (roughly 25 hours), I followed the

tips from Linux Roon Control GUI Please.

Installation worked right out of the box. 8<)

![|703x429](file:///tmp/lu13272ogpzy2.tmp/lu13272ogpzy5_tmp_2a40be1794045e0e.png)

I have it running on :

OpenSuse Leap 15.2

KDE Plasma 5.18.6

linux kernel 5.3.18-lp152.60-default

Wine 6.1

Intel Core i7 CPU@2.9GHz.

I hope that the Roon 1.8 doesn’t break anything…

1 Like

Raising my hand for the desire for Roon GUI on linux. I barely use Roon now as I have fully switched all my computers to linux. The server + iPad combo works, but it is less than optimal.

6 Likes

I would also love to see a Roon UI that works on Linux. A web UI seems like a perfect solution… it could flex to support all sorts of devices and operating systems without effort (eg older tablets).

1 Like

Granted, I have an absolute beast of a desktop computer, but running the Roon control GUI in Wine on Ubuntu 20.04 is so ridiculously easy, and it runs just like a native app. I can’t even tell its running on Wine.

Just FYI if you’re running Roon on Wine via roon-on-wine script wipe the wineprefix instance entirely and reinstall from scratch to get 1.8 working without random errors

How do we do this? I use this script and 1.8 is laggy and buggy.

delete my_roon_instance, delete RoonInstaller64.exe from roon-on-wine directory and run install.sh again